Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have got the invitation to apply for the visa 189. I am married so will be applying for the visa with my spouse. Unfortunately, we do not have the marriage certificate. However, we have the translated and notarized certificate of nikah. Will it suffice? I do not have the option to get a registered marriage certificate as I am working in the USA.

Please help.

·
Premium Member
10,530 Posts
In Australia Nikah is known as a religious marriage therefore immigration will not accept Nikah. You will need to supply an official marriage certificate to be classed as spouses, otherwise de facto is your only option if you are living together.

·
Premium Member
10,530 Posts
There is no proof that you are married so in the eyes of immigration you are not married if you can not provide the certificate. People will sometimes be religiously married and class themselves as married when in fact they are not.

De facto just means living together in a committed relationship.

It would be easier if you can get someone to get your marriage certificate.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I understand, however, it is not possible to get without being physically present at the registrar office, furthermore, the whole process of the application takes few months to complete.

Indian Consulate in USA issues marriage certificate based on the information in the passport and my spouse has my name mentioned in it.

Can this work?

Thank you in advance for you your time and advise.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.