Australia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here married someone on an ETA / tourist visa before?

If so, how does it differ from a 'typical' marriage (two Australian citizens marrying eachother)?

I'm looking for information online and maybe I'm not looking hard enough, but I don't see a lot of information about it. I've never been married, so all of this is very new to me. Any advice is welcome. Thank you!

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Has anyone here married someone on an ETA / tourist visa before?

If so, how does it differ from a 'typical' marriage (two Australian citizens marrying eachother)?

I'm looking for information online and maybe I'm not looking hard enough, but I don't see a lot of information about it. I've never been married, so all of this is very new to me. Any advice is welcome. Thank you!
There is no issue at all. Other than needing to give 30 days notice.

You can get married in Australia and leave before your visitor visa expires.

Some people, with decent proof of relationship history, do apply for a partner visa, whether married or not, while on an ETA/Visitor visa.

https://www.ag.gov.au/FamiliesAndMarriage/Marriage/Pages/get-married.aspx

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you very much, those who responded! We do intend on filing for a 820 Visa. We can't do a thing right now because of the pandemic :( but we still want to be prepared and have a good understanding of how a marriage would work between an Australian citizen and a non-Australian citizen.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thank you very much, those who responded! We do intend on filing for a 820 Visa. We can't do a thing right now because of the pandemic
but we still want to be prepared and have a good understanding of how a marriage would work between an Australian citizen and a non-Australian citizen.
As others have said - no difference. I married my husband while I was on an ETA. But they're also correct, you have to give at least 30 days for the Notice of Intended Marriage, whether you're a citizen or not. This was in NSW anyway, not sure on other states/territories. Our celebrant handled and applied for this for us. There are fees obviously. Only thing I had to do was give our celebrant a copy of my passport and birth certificate so she could do the NOIM (but so did my husband who is a citizen.) Very easy!

·
Registered
7,019 Posts
Marriage is a simple formality - the hard complicated part is immigration.

You will want to know about how that works before getting married.

If not you can lose an option.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Marriage is a simple formality - the hard complicated part is immigration.

You will want to know about how that works before getting married.

If not you can lose an option.
Yes, I think by the looks of it that will be more involved. We are looking into options though and we have a pretty good idea of what we'd like to do (once the travel ban is lifted).

Thank you very much for your answers everyone.

I have one more question. A very important one. To file for a 820 Visa, are there any requirements about whether we have recently met in person? I was wondering if we had to have met, say, in the last 1-2 years (or any number of years or even months for that matter) to apply. We are concerned about this. I wanted my fiancee to come over this very month, but because of the virus it obviously didn't happen. We're a very patient couple and understand why this travel ban is in place. However, we are worried that we may miss our opportunity to file if home affairs have wanted us to meet within the last year or two. I actually posted a thread about this on here, but for some reason it's coming up as 'Page Not Found'. If anyone could help me with this or has heard anything please let me know. Thank you :)

·
Registered
7,019 Posts
For an 820 application the "met requirement" should have been achieved.

Ongoing relationship and cohabitation are things you need addressing and that gets more tricky for longer periods apart.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For an 820 application the "met requirement" should have been achieved.

Ongoing relationship and cohabitation are things you need addressing and that gets more tricky for longer periods apart.
Thank you for responding. Just to confirm, is there a specific "met requirement" such as having met within a year or two? I know some US Visas require this (not that they're relevant to this forum) and they tend to specify two years. We are very concerned that because of the travel ban they'll be an even longer gap and we may have missed our chance. But while researching the 820/801, I actually haven't come across this requirement. We have proof of an ongoing relationship (we recognize right now that the cohabitation part is complicated, being apart) though. Sorry if I'm repeating myself, just want to make sure. Thanks again

·
Super Moderator
5,266 Posts
AFAIK the "met requirement" is simply that you have. So for example, you cannot meet online and have an online relationship for 12 months and then apply for a partner visa. You must have met in person first. It's not unusual for partners to have spent time apart, even a considerable amount of time due to lack of visa options, so DHA considers each application on its merits. But for time apart, you should support this with good evidence of how you maintained your relationship during the time apart. This is one reason it's often suggested to apply for a Prospective Marriage Visa if you aren't married yet, because the relationship criteria is much less onerous than the 820 or 309 visas.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
AFAIK the "met requirement" is simply that you have. So for example, you cannot meet online and have an online relationship for 12 months and then apply for a partner visa. You must have met in person first. It's not unusual for partners to have spent time apart, even a considerable amount of time due to lack of visa options, so DHA considers each application on its merits. But for time apart, you should support this with good evidence of how you maintained your relationship during the time apart. This is one reason it's often suggested to apply for a Prospective Marriage Visa if you aren't married yet, because the relationship criteria is much less onerous than the 820 or 309 visas.
Thank you, this helps a lot! We have yet to commit to one option so hearing about this assists us. We have experienced time apart, but we have met in person before many times. Our main worry is that there's been quite a gap. Our plan was to reunite this very month, and now we'll just be happy if we see eachother this year. :confused::( But I understand many other people are in the same boat. Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts