Australia Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.
I've been in Australia for 10 years in September - did a working holiday visa, farm work to get my second WHV, then gained sponsorship, then went onto a partner visa with my NZ citizen partner. A year ago, my partner applied for PR and put me on the application (which we are yet to receive.........) Within the next year we want to start trying for a baby and i've read online rules regarding maternity pay which i'm a little confused about.
It states you have to be a resident for 2 or 4 years before being entitled to receive payments and i wondered if this is not applicable given i have resided in Australia for 10 years?
If anyone has any information or contact details of who to speak to that would be great.

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Hello everyone.
I've been in Australia for 10 years in September - did a working holiday visa, farm work to get my second WHV, then gained sponsorship, then went onto a partner visa with my NZ citizen partner. A year ago, my partner applied for PR and put me on the application (which we are yet to receive.........) Within the next year we want to start trying for a baby and i've read online rules regarding maternity pay which i'm a little confused about.
It states you have to be a resident for 2 or 4 years before being entitled to receive payments and i wondered if this is not applicable given i have resided in Australia for 10 years?
If anyone has any information or contact details of who to speak to that would be great.

You probably need to ask Centrelink this one, as the rules for residence vary a lot.
Being resident in Australia does not always mean you are a resident of Australia.
Even some Centrelink staff might get it wrong, so sometimes you need to ask a few.

Normally you are an Australian resident, for social security purposes, if you live in Australia and are either:
  • an Australian citizen
  • a permanent residence visa holder
  • a protected Special Category visa (SCV) holder.
This information might help to get an accurate answer:

What visa are you on now, and since when?

Is your NZ partner a protected SCV holder ?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts