Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I am a 30 year old male, UK citizen applying for a defacto 820 visa with my Australian partner. I am on a visitor Medicare card at the moment but was curious if I needed to obtain private health insurance before sending everything off next weekend. :)

Thanks in advance,
George

·
Registered
974 Posts
It probably wouldn't hurt to get private health anyways.

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
I think you will find you are on a reciprocal heath care arrangement at the moment - that is quite limited.

Once you submit the 820 application you will be illegible to apply for Medicare (medical the same as any Australian).

It is optional if you deiced to get private health cover, income and location can sway the decision. For me personally when living in Darwin it was best for me not to have private cover the best burns unit and burns doctors were in the public system up there same for infectious diseases when I had Meliadosis.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
No requirement to do so.

Some states charge a lot for an ambulance ride so may be worthwhile getting basic ambulance cover.

Your reciprocal care covers you for the public system just like an Australian on medicare. It won't cover gp visits (Unless they bulk bill), dental, prescriptions etc.

·
Registered
974 Posts
t won't cover gp visits (Unless they bulk bill), dental, prescriptions etc.
Man, was that an expensive lesson to learn. My wife warned me about it, but I figured I could hold out a good six months before I needed any dental work. I was wrong - I was wrong to the tune of $500 and some change.

Lesson is (for me at least) start private health early as there is usually a grace period before you can use it. :D

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Man, was that an expensive lesson to learn. My wife warned me about it, but I figured I could hold out a good six months before I needed any dental work. I was wrong - I was wrong to the tune of $500 and some change.

Lesson is (for me at least) start private health early as there is usually a grace period before you can use it. :D
I see it as forced savings, unless I need major surgery done privately then there's no need for private. The Aussie insurance system is a bit of a farce. They took all spinal cover out of my policy then gave me pregnancy based items, I ride a motorbike, i am male. At this point I told them where to go.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.