Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon everyone, I’ve applied for a partner visa and my medical is coming up. I believe that I have read somewhere that a BMI over a certain level qualifies you for a B Grade on the medicals.

Is that correct and what BMI level are we talking about?

Thank you in advance

S

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Saozita,

Having BMI over certain level does not necessarily mean you will
not meet the health requirement.
If you are assessed as being obese, some exploration of related medical conditions (which can exist or be emerging) will be made.

These include diabetes, heart disease, hypertension, arthritis, reproduction or .. something more serious.
Conditions I just listed may mean that you are assessed as not meeting the health requirement, but if there is no existing or potential condition, you might be fine.

They will take your blood and do additional tests for sure I believe.

Australian Government would asses your current and potential healthcare cover cost over the next several years (I believe its 5, but don't quote me on it please, I'm not a migration agent :)).

Even if you don't meet the criteria for any reason (which I hope won't be the case), there are ways of waving this obstacle, but you would have to consult with a lawyer about it (there are migration lawyers who make a living out of this type of cases).

Not what's your current BMI, but maybe if your medical is not booked for another couple or a few months, you can try and work on it.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Little Ale. I have just done my medical and luckily my BMI was below the obese mark so all good!

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Wow. They really went to town.

My medical consisted of a blood test, checking my reflexes, my breathing/lungs and the chest xray.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Wow. They really went to town.

My medical consisted of a blood test, checking my reflexes, my breathing/lungs and the chest xray.
The nurse didn't weigh you or take your height what about a BP - basic things they really needed to do!?
The panel physician took blood pressure, yeah. He asked my weight and I was honest. All 110 kilos honest.

My height was taken too, I remember now. I'm shorter than I thought. He also checked my ears and eyes. Man, my memory sucks.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
The panel physician took blood pressure, yeah. He asked my weight and I was honest. All 110 kilos honest.

My height was taken too, I remember now. I'm shorter than I thought. He also checked my ears and eyes. Man, my memory sucks.
That will give them the bulk of the info they need for Lipid + the standard additional questions on family health history, physical activity and smoker status - I know I come out at around 5%...not especially healthy or unhealthy but age alone hammers the score so a young applicant doesn't have much to fear in regards to heart attack based scores.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts

Soooo you're left or right D?
This might sound bad, but I was actually surprised when he kept telling me "you're a very healthy young man". I had to look around and say "what, me?" Haha.

When you said left or right D, thought you were talking hockey haha.

Reactions: Mania

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
This might sound bad, but I was actually surprised when he kept telling me "you're a very healthy young man". I had to look around and say "what, me?" Haha.

When you said left or right D, thought you were talking hockey haha.
I am 110 isn't a bad weight for a D average NHl is just under 100 but a bit on the heavy side for a F at an NHL average of 90 - so based on your weight I assumed D, you don't come across as a psycho so obviously ain't a GT ;) I replied to one of your other posts somewhere in a hockey manner as well ;P when you said you couldn't play over here I asked why :D

Ps Op sorry for the thread Hi-Jack but as you can see it's a critically important subject.

Pss I should have just implied your going crazy with hockey on the brain and pleaded ignorance.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I am 110 isn't a bad weight for a D average NHl is just under 100 but a bit on the heavy side for a F at an NHL average of 90 - so based on your weight I assumed D, you don't come across as a psycho so obviously ain't a GT ;) I replied to one of your other posts somewhere in a hockey manner as well ;P when you said you couldn't play over here I asked why :D

Ps Op sorry for the thread Hi-Jack but as you can see it's a critically important subject.

Pss I should have just implied your going crazy with hockey on the brain and pleaded ignorance.
Haha! Sorry, it was late when I was replying to these last night.

Right D, but I was moved to centre for a season.

It's funny, I hadn't scored a goal in a full season, then I get moves to forward and I scored 8. :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Eh? I am very surprised that they didn’t weight you and just simply ask you how much you weight, wow... definitely not according to their handbook. I would have been honest too ... you know, women and their weight lol

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Hi Eh? I am very surprised that they didn't weight you and just simply ask you how much you weight, wow... definitely not according to their handbook. I would have been honest too ... you know, women and their weight lol
To be honest, the medical was quite quick, but recalling it now, also thorough. They did take my height, I had to remove my shoes and stand against the wall with the chart on it. I had my eyes checked as well. I remember that because I disclosed that about 12 years ago I suffered an eye injury but had recovered from it.

But they did blood pressure, reflexes, listened to my lungs, checked my eyes, ears and throat. The doctor cupped his hand and put it on my chest and back and knocked on it while listening to my breathing. It was much more thorough than I remembered initially.

As far as the weight, they just asked and I was truthful. No point in fibbing about a few kilos, it doesn't change my actual weight! Haha.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.