Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Read Only
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all my partner is currently on a bridging visa awaiting a 461 visa lodged November 2017.

He attempted to apply for medicare today and was told he can't because he's not on an actual visa but was also told he may not be eligible when his 461 is approved as he lived in New Zealand for just under 2 years on a working holiday visa before coming to Australia.

Can anyone help me with the following questions:
-Does his almost 2 years away from the UK affect the reciprocal health care between aus and UK.
-Is there anyway to become eligible again for this arrangement allowing him to be covered by medicare in Australia while living here
-Could he be eligible for a temporary medicare card of some sort given he is on a bridging visa awaiting outcome on 461 visa

Thanks

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Some Medicare staff are not familiar with visas that also goes for some offices.

The reciprocal health care goes on "passport held" not places lived - from memory.

It also is not the same cover as Medicare.

As for an interim Medicare card, that would depend I think on the eligibility of yourself being eligible - and a few other factors, but a 461 seems a temp visa so that is not a good start.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.