Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Struggling to get a definate answer, as i read different things about the health insurance requirements for a 457 visa. So was wondering if anyone here has recently been granted.

Im a british citizen with a medicare card, no pritave health insurance, and just applied for 457 (26th march) iv sent pictures of my medicare card along with the reciprocal health agreement for the uk/oz. as medicare over the phone told me this matches the requirments. But im not 100 percent convinced.

Anyone out there been in the same situation and been expected or declined? Orhad to then send of proof of insurance?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
5,266 Posts
If you already have Medicare coverage, then I would think that's sufficient. I know I've heard of UK applicants overseas having to purchase private medical coverage until they arrived and were able to apply for Medicare. But if you've already got that sorted, then it should meet the requirement for the visa application. I don't have any personal experience with this though, so hopefully someone else can confirm.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Jonotrenerry

Hi Jono,

As a UK Citizen, you are entitled to a reciprocal arrangement cover(RHCAs) while being in Australia. You may be considered to meet the minimum requirements for adequate health insurance as required by your 457 o visa.

You do need to know that this cover only provides essential health cover and many expensive health items such as ambulance, most dental work, a range of non-subsidised medicines, private patient hospital might not be covered by the arrangements, and for this reason it might be worth checking the 457 covers offered by insurance companies.
Hope this information helps.
Good luck,

Moran

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick reply’s.
Yea thats what iv been told, i keep getting, ‘i think’ ‘may be’ ‘it should’ be ok.
Not a definate answer really, was hoping there would be someone on here thats been through the same situation and had an outcome?
Much appricated thou thanks.

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
I know and work with a 457 holder that has applied for a 820 Partner Visa and received a Interim Medicare Care and then was able to not continue with private health cover.

The key is that the hospitals have an access to be paid and not be left chasing a debt. So if you don't have reciprocal or private insurance -public hospitals can get left short as unlike other countries they will treat you with or without knowing they will get paid.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.