Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading a few posts regarding obtaining a medicare card whilst visa application is in progress. Can this be done whilst a 143 parent visa in in lodgement and about to be granted - July 2018 ish.
The reason I ask is that my wife and I spend a lot of time visiting family whilst waiting for our 143 whilst being offshore.
Any thoughts would be most appreciated.
Thanks you
Robert

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
A quick Google came up with this:

If you live in Australia and have a visa
If you live in Australia and have applied for permanent residency, you may get a Medicare card.

You must:

be on a visa allowing you to work, or prove your parent, spouse or child is an Australian citizen, permanent resident, or a New Zealand citizen living in Australia

This doesn’t include applying for a parent visa. Applicants for parent visas may be eligible for Medicare if they’re from a Reciprocal Health Care Agreement country and meet eligibility criteria. If you’ve applied for a Contributory parent visa you may get a Medicare card. If you’ve applied directly for the permanent Contributory visa without holding the temporary Contributory visa you’re not eligible until your permanent Contributory visa is granted.

If you are a UK citizen you will come under a Reciprocal Health Care Agreement so you could be. Suggest you drop into a MyGov officer and ask them directly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A quick Google came up with this:

If you live in Australia and have a visa
If you live in Australia and have applied for permanent residency, you may get a Medicare card.

You must:

be on a visa allowing you to work, or prove your parent, spouse or child is an Australian citizen, permanent resident, or a New Zealand citizen living in Australia

This doesn't include applying for a parent visa. Applicants for parent visas may be eligible for Medicare if they're from a Reciprocal Health Care Agreement country and meet eligibility criteria. If you've applied for a Contributory parent visa you may get a Medicare card. If you've applied directly for the permanent Contributory visa without holding the temporary Contributory visa you're not eligible until your permanent Contributory visa is granted.

If you are a UK citizen you will come under a Reciprocal Health Care Agreement so you could be. Suggest you drop into a MyGov officer and ask them directly.
Hi Jeremy.
Many, many thanks for this, this is a great starter for ten. My wife is going down for three months and being from the UK, this will invaluable.
Again, thanks for you help.
Robert

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.