Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

My wife will soon be applying for the 820, following on from the PMV 300.. Since she will be arriving in Australia, I'm wondering what we need to do about health insurance for her.

I've read some things that say you can apply for Medicare once you are even on the bridging visa after the application. But I can't tell if that's entirely accurate?

Many thanks for any help!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Medicare

Hello!

My wife will soon be applying for the 820, following on from the PMV 300.. Since she will be arriving in Australia, I'm wondering what we need to do about health insurance for her.

I've read some things that say you can apply for Medicare once you are even on the bridging visa after the application. But I can't tell if that's entirely accurate?

Many thanks for any help!
Hi... i have just been granted my 820 after my 600 and i have applied for a medicare. It's just an interim card (blue card) and will expire after a year but they said they will change it to green card once i get my 801. Hope this helps

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Make sure you bring all the required documents (Don't remember exactly but I know I brought the Aclnowledgement of Application Received to prove I applied for a permanent visa and my passport. There may have been more.)

You should refer to it as an 820/801 application. Medicare agents seem to get confused that the partner visa apps are actually for both temporary and permanent visas. Hence why it is an 820/801 app and not just an 820 app.

She certainly does not need to be on the bridging visa to apply for Medicare. All she needs is the acknowledgement letter that she applied 820/801 and whatever other documents needed like identity or Medicare application.

Keep in mind when she has the interim card that she'll need to update it with her doctor each time she gets a card with a new expiration date.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much for the replies! :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yep we just went into medicare with a copy of husbands bridging visa, acknowledgement of application for 820 visa, and his passport.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep we just went into medicare with a copy of husbands bridging visa, acknowledgement of application for 820 visa, and his passport.
Great, that sounds simple! How long does it take after you visit the medicare office, until he is covered?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They gave me a printout as a temporary card until the actual card arrived by post, so coverage was immediate.
Amazing, very convenient. Thank you !

·
Registered
9 Posts
Great, that sounds simple! How long does it take after you visit the medicare office, until he is covered?
From memory I think they gave him his medicare number there and then, so he was covered right away. But it took a while for the card to arrive in the mail.

Also if you need to see a doctor or anything between when you submit your 820 application and before you apply for medicare, keep the receipts because they'll reimburse you!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Make sure you bring all the required documents (Don't remember exactly but I know I brought the Aclnowledgement of Application Received to prove I applied for a permanent visa and my passport. There may have been more.)

You should refer to it as an 820/801 application. Medicare agents seem to get confused that the partner visa apps are actually for both temporary and permanent visas. Hence why it is an 820/801 app and not just an 820 app.

She certainly does not need to be on the bridging visa to apply for Medicare. All she needs is the acknowledgement letter that she applied 820/801 and whatever other documents needed like identity or Medicare application.

Keep in mind when she has the interim card that she'll need to update it with her doctor each time she gets a card with a new expiration date.
What's Acknowledgement of Application Received? Is that a grant letter? Sorry if this sounds silly but I'm currently on a BVA waiting for 820 to be granted.

Do you know if I can apply for medicare?

·
Premium Member
9,033 Posts
What's Acknowledgement of Application Received? Is that a grant letter? Sorry if this sounds silly but I'm currently on a BVA waiting for 820 to be granted.

Do you know if I can apply for medicare?
When you apply online for the 820 you get an email that acknowledges receipt of your application. That email is what you need.

·
Premium Member
9,033 Posts
And yes, you can apply. I got Medicare straight away after applying for my 820.

·
Premium Member
9,033 Posts
I haven't seen anyone who's asked this question in come back and say they didn't get it, and I think it'd be pretty big news if they changed it. :) Let us know how you go! If they give you any trouble, ask for a supervisor.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I haven't seen anyone who's asked this question in come back and say they didn't get it, and I think it'd be pretty big news if they changed it. :) Let us know how you go! If they give you any trouble, ask for a supervisor.
Got my medicare without any hassle at all except for some super long queue! :D

I just had to fill in the application form, provide them with my passport and visa grant letter, that's it. And I was told that I pretty much have to repeat this step until I get the green medicare card.

Anyway thanks so much!

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Got my medicare without any hassle at all except for some super long queue! :D

I just had to fill in the application form, provide them with my passport and visa grant letter, that's it. And I was told that I pretty much have to repeat this step until I get the green medicare card.

Anyway thanks so much!
You shouldn't have to repeat that step... They automatically send me a new interim card just before it expires each year. I've never had to go back into the office and show all the paperwork or reapply again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You shouldn't have to repeat that step... They automatically send me a new interim card just before it expires each year. I've never had to go back into the office and show all the paperwork or reapply again.
That's strange...

She told me just that before Ieft her desk. To make sure I heard her correctly I repeated what she advised and she said again "yes... until you get a permanent status" :confused:

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Guess I'm just lucky then. I've never had to go back and do it again and I've had three interim cards. Maybe I'll find out if they changed the process since then if I don't get a new card in 6 months!

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
Guess I'm just lucky then. I've never had to go back and do it again and I've had three interim cards. Maybe I'll find out if they changed the process since then if I don't get a new card in 6 months!
My wife got her 2nd interim card too, without having to do anything. It arrived in the post before the old one expired.

Some Medicare staff do get things wrong..

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.