Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went to Medicare yesterday as I have already lodged my 820/801 application and got my bridging visa granted at the same time however BV is still not active.

They refused my application because my BV is not active. As per my understanding, as soon as I lodged my partner visa, I am already eligible, regardless if the BV is active or not. Can someone please shed light on this?

·
Registered
267 Posts
So I went to Medicare yesterday as I have already lodged my 820/801 application and got my bridging visa granted at the same time however BV is still not active.

They refused my application because my BV is not active. As per my understanding, as soon as I lodged my partner visa, I am already eligible, regardless if the BV is active or not. Can someone please shed light on this?
Well... you're substantial visa that is currently active is probably a Tourist/Visitor Visa.

And those on such a visa are not covered by medicare.

Then again, the DHS says otherwise..

If you live in Australia and have applied for permanent residency
You may be able to get a Medicare card if you live in Australia and have applied for a:

permanent residency visa, excluding parent visas, or
permanent protection visa
You must:

be on a visa allowing you to work, or
prove your parent, spouse or child is an Australian citizen, permanent resident, or a New Zealand citizen living in Australia
This includes if you've applied for a combined spouse visa 309/100 or 820/801.

·
Registered
6,927 Posts
The fact is if you apply for a 309 (Ofshore Partner Visa) and then get a Visitor Visa to wait some of the process time in Australia - you are eligible for Medicare while in Australia on that valid Visitor Visa.

* A Permanent Residence visa application must have been made (Both 820 &309 include the PR application) - you then need to be in Australia on a "valid" visa.

The exception is the Parent Visa and Protection Visa.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well... you're substantial visa that is currently active is probably a Tourist/Visitor Visa.

You may be able to get a Medicare card if you live in Australia and have applied for a:

You must:

prove your parent, spouse or child is an Australian citizen, permanent resident, or a New Zealand citizen living in Australia
My current visa is 300 with full work/study rights.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Eligibility of Medicare has nothing to do with Bridging Visas.

Yes, ask for a supervisor or try another branch.
Thanks Westley and ampk. Will definitely go to a different branch.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi All, I just want to give an update.

The initial Medicare branch I've been to was in Newcastle, NSW, which refused my application. When we moved to Sydney in Jan 2019, I went to Medicare in Sydney and they've issued my card.

So, bridging visa status does not have anything to do with Medicare eligibility.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
I'm fairly certain you do have to prove you're on a valid visa (doesn't necessarily have to be the bridging visa), but it's the actual application for permanent residency that makes one eligible for Medicare. This is why 300 applicants/holders are not eligible.

Anytime a branch refuses, it's best to speak to a supervisor or go to a different branch, as mentioned above.

·
Registered
11 Posts

You must:

My current visa is 300 with full work/study rights.
Hello @anashin me and my aussie fiancee are about to make a lodgement for pmv 300 pls what are the documents u were required to upload .thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.