Australia Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in australia and was scheduled for my an aids test, X-ray and physical exam with no specifics. I hear a lot about women's experiences, but not about what men go through during their onshore visa medical exam. It seems like women have it easy, but do men experience the same exam or should I mentally prepare myself for anything invasive? I'm already getting anxiety over the blood test as silly as that sounds. 30/m usa

·
Registered
202 Posts
My husband had his exam offshore (here in Turkey) - but it should be the same.
Chest x-ray
Blood test for HIV
Urine sample
General physical exam - nothing invasive (e.g. prostate check etc.)
It was quick and painless.

Are you stressed about the results of the blood test, or getting the blood test done itself? Make sure you mention your anxiety to the panel physician. I'm not good with fasting blood work (have fainted) - so I always mention this going in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. It's more an irrational fear or needles, and thinking of it makes me weak. I understand visa physicals are different everywhere, I hope it's a breeze like your husband had. Thank you

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
I have the same issue. I let the doc know how needles stress me out and they let me lay down and gave me some cold water, then waited for me to relax a bit before doing it. I've done it sitting up and stressed before (not for visa medical) and the nurse barely got enough blood out for the test.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Like Skybluebrewer, I always mention that I have passed out before when having blood drawn, and they always lie me down. In my case, I do fine if I've eaten. But any test that requires me to fast before hand, and I'm a fainter.

I'm sure doctors are different, but the requirements of the initial medical should be the same anywhere. I hope all goes smoothly for you, and that your doctor is understanding and kind.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.