Australia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

My husband and I are about to start the application and have spent the last couple of months preparing our documents and statements. We've got a few questions about messages (as in proof of us keeping in touch when parted as well as proof that we keep in touch with each other's friends and family).

Quick background info: we had social media when we met but closed all accounts about a year into our relationship. We are married and have lived together pretty much since we met. The only time we have spent apart is two months at the start of our relationship, 8 days at one stage and a weekend. We only have a few random screenshots from the two months when we were parted (very early in our relationship) as we closed those social media accounts later on.

1) Seeing as we are married and live together (and have done so for a few years), do we need to provide messages from our everyday life when together (e.g. texts we've sent from work) or do we only need to provide proof of keeping in touch when parted?

2) If yes, (we do need to provide proof of everyday messaging even when living together) does anyone know a good way of doing this when iMessage is the way of contact? Happy to scroll back as far as I can and take screenshots but I don't know how far back I can scroll (we send a lot of messages). On top of that, we have both changed phone and phone number since we met so even if I managed to scroll all the way up I wouldn't get to the start of our relationship. Is there such thing as a message counter or similar for iMessage? Or a smarter way of providing messages?

3) I'm Swedish and my hubby is Australian but he has learnt Swedish. The majority of our messages are in Swedish, as well as all of my husbands messages to my family and friends (and same for me). Do we need to find a translator to translate that or is it enough to show that we keep in touch? I know all official documents must be in English, but perhaps it's enough for the C.O. to see the fact that we have kept in touch with each other's families, rather than reading the actual messages? We are happy to translate them ourselves but figured that's not allowed. Does anyone have experience in not translating messages?

4) It seems like some people attach hundreds of pages of messages. Is that what a C.O. expects or is it ok with screenshots and messages from different times to show continuity? I haven't found a message counter or summary of message statistics I don't know how to attach every single message as a screenshot. Will give it a go if that's the case, but I'm wondering if fewer messages are ok?

Sorry for long and convoluted questions. I really appreciate any help or tips!

Thanks heaps!!!

·
Registered
184 Posts
1) Seeing as we are married and live together (and have done so for a few years), do we need to provide messages from our everyday life when together (e.g. texts we've sent from work) or do we only need to provide proof of keeping in touch when parted?
It's only necessary to show that the relationship continued when you were living apart. Showing usual everyday contact is not necessary. I don't know if there is a minimum time spent apart for which you need to show evidence that your relationship continued, but very short separations wouldn't need that evidence, I suspect.

On FB you can download all your files and your messages are in text form and I simply copied sections that were applicable with the dates and times.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
We were living together for almost a year when we applied for the first visa, but not married. We didn't attach any messages.

Just proof of living together. We got a letter from the landlord to confirm we were both there. And some photos of both of us together in the locality.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts