Australia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I’m a former permanent resident of Australia. I was never told about the travel limit on my PR visa (5 years out of country), so I accidentally overextended it.

My understanding is that I need to apply for a Migrant Return Visa. After several consultations with migration agents, I understand my chances of success are not good, as my reasons for being out of country for so long are not sufficiently compelling.

Can anyone advise me on optimizing my application?

I would like to restore my permanent residency, as I really don’t want to start from scratch.

Moving back to Australia has long been a dream of mine.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
It looks as if you did not read your visa grant letter. The 5-year travel expiry would have been stated. It would not hurt to lodge an application and make the best case you can and see what happens. A registered migration agent could face problems for lodging an application that did mot have reasonable prospects of success.

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
What you are referring to is a ‘Resident Return Visa‘ (RRV). It’s difficult to comment on your eligibility without more details. A registered migration agent can advise you on the legislative hurdles and how best to present your case, but as Westley says, we cannot lodge a vexatious application. Some people can get RRVs after long absences, but it will depend on circumstances.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It looks as if you did not read your visa grant letter. The 5-year travel expiry would have been stated. It would not hurt to lodge an application and make the best case you can and see what happens. A registered migration agent could face problems for lodging an application that did mot have reasonable prospects of success.
That is correct, I didn’t read it.

The visa process was handled by my parents. The travel allowance was never communicated to me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What you are referring to is a ‘Resident Return Visa‘ (RRV). It’s difficult to comment on your eligibility without more details. A registered migration agent can advise you on the legislative hurdles and how best to present your case, but as Westley says, we cannot lodge a vexatious application. Some people can get RRVs after long absences, but it will depend on circumstances.
I can provide more details if it would help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@wrussell and @paulhand (and anyone else reading this. for that matter)

Do you have any insight as to I could succeed in my Migrant Return Visa application?

As I'm sure you're aware, the three main questions are:
  • If the applicant has substantial business, cultural, employment or personal ties with Australia, give details of these ties and how they are of benefit to Australia or indicate that the applicant has no substantial ties
  • Provide the reason why the applicant last departed Australia
  • If the applicant had compelling reasons for this absence, give details or indicate the applicant had no compelling reasons
What would successful answers to these questions look like?

The first one re: ties is giving me the most trouble. What would be considered substantial ties that would qualify me for a RRV?

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Paul has given you sound advice in general terms about what is required in cases such as yours. May I suggest that you engage his services for a considered professional assessment?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts