1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

According to the immigrant website:

General residence requirement
The general residence requirement is based on the amount of time you have lived in Australia.

You must meet all of the following:
- have lived in Australia on a valid Australian visa for four years immediately before applying
- must have been a permanent resident for the 12 months immediately before making an application and not have been absent from Australia for more than one year in total, during the four year period, including no more than 90 days in the 12 months before applying.

I am currently on a 457 Visa and have applied for permanent residency, my PR is due around July/August time.

I used to make brief visits to see my partner overseas before she moved to Australia, and over the past 4 years I've made visits overseas to see family and friends.

I'm not sure yet, but I THINK I may have spent more than a year overseas, especially by the time my PR comes and I've spent 12 months on there.

What happens in this situation, are all hopes of citizenship off for me? Or can I simply stay longer and on my PR to satisfy?

Super confused.

Any help would be great please.

James

·
Premium Member
8,885 Posts
Hi James,

You'll just hold off on applying for citizenship until you qualify (i.e., you haven't been out of the country more than 12 months in the 4 years before you've applied, no more than 3 months in the last year, and you've been PR for a year.) You can use the citizenship calculator on Immi's website and input your travel dates to get an idea of when that might be.

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/ente/retu/residence-calculator

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
What happens in this situation, are all hopes of citizenship off for me? Or can I simply stay longer and on my PR to satisfy?
I stayed as PR for 25 years before I decided to apply for Citizenship. My sister waited 38 years.

You can stay on PR as long as you like, and apply for Citizenship whenever it suits you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.