Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am new here, as you may have noticed. I am new to the immigration process as well. As I was googling about Australian migration, I came across this site and found that it has some useful information/advice from some genuine applicants. So, here I am, hoping to get the answers of my questions.

Here goes the story:

I am a Bangladeshi national came to the UK around nine years ago. I completed my degree in Electrical engineering and joined a multinational company about three years ago. I have a five year work permit. I have been doing well in my job and have managed to secure a few promotions even during the economic downturn. So, it’s all hunky dory.
Recently my girlfriend (British white - degree in creative writing) and I have decided to move to Australia. I also had plans to move there, as my sister lives in Sydney with her family.

My mother (widowed) and my elder brother (27-full time student) lives in Bangladesh. I have been supporting them financially since my dad died and have also visited home on a regular basis.

So, my question is, could I include my mom, brother and girlfriend in my application (Independent skilled 175)? According to the points calculator, I score 130 points and my occupation is on the critical (SOL?) list.

Your help on this matter is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Hassan

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Hi,

I am new here, as you may have noticed. I am new to the immigration process as well. As I was googling about Australian migration, I came across this site and found that it has some useful information/advice from some genuine applicants. So, here I am, hoping to get the answers of my questions.

Here goes the story:

I am a Bangladeshi national came to the UK around nine years ago. I completed my degree in Electrical engineering and joined a multinational company about three years ago. I have a five year work permit. I have been doing well in my job and have managed to secure a few promotions even during the economic downturn. So, it's all hunky dory.
Recently my girlfriend (British white - degree in creative writing) and I have decided to move to Australia. I also had plans to move there, as my sister lives in Sydney with her family.

My mother (widowed) and my elder brother (27-full time student) lives in Bangladesh. I have been supporting them financially since my dad died and have also visited home on a regular basis.

So, my question is, could I include my mom, brother and girlfriend in my application (Independent skilled 175)? According to the points calculator, I score 130 points and my occupation is on the critical (SOL?) list.

Your help on this matter is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Hassan
Hi Hassan and first of all, yes as a qualified engineer with some experience you should not have any great difficulty getting an independent skilled visa.

But do have a look at the sticky thread at top of the section re changes being made to immigration regulations as the governments planning to focus immigration on a demand driven process will mean that even applicants with occupations on the new SOL ought to be looking closely at what will give them priority or otherwise there could be a longish indefinite wait.
It'll be far better to see if there are employer sponsorship opportunities or to at least look at going to a state that has electrical engineering in a State Migration Plan [ possibly, most will ].
If your Gf and you are in fact partners in life and have evidence to support that, there should not be a problem with her being a secondary applicant on your application, and you'll find references under eligibility for secondary applicants.

Being able to include your mother and elder brother as dependants is likely somewhat more uncertain for though you may give financial assistance from abroad, I suspect it will be a bit of a stretch to be able to show that they are fully dependent on you.

I am far from an expert in that area [ there being refences under the dependants eligibility ], but I would think the very first question you could ask yourself is how would you being in Australia and your mother and brother in Bangladesh be different to now, for I suspect that would also be on the mind on Immigration people too.

A couple of things you also ought to consider are:
. I think you'll find that if people are listed as dependants on an application and they fail, the visa also fails, ie. your visa would be rejected totally.

. Coming to a new country is a big enough test in itself as you no doubt appreciate from your own earlier move though you may have been financially supported to study.
Making a move and quickly getting means of support is going to be more onerous for yourself and partner without increasing the numbers.

There are parent visas, but for older parents or [ sole ] Remaining Relative Visas, so in time if your brother was able to get an independent visa [ and it may not even need to be to Australia ] if your mother was by herself with no other family members, a visa of another type may be more suitable.
Family - Visas & Immigration

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dear Wanderer,

Thank you very much for your quick reply. I am very grateful for the helpful information that you have given, especially about the state migration plan which I will look into.

The only thing I fear is that my brother is not really capable of looking after my mother on his own, as her age increases I worry about her health and that my brother wouldn’t be able to support her. My sister already lives in Sydney and we were looking to reunite our family after a long time being apart. I visit home very frequently and if that makes it any easier I might move to Bangladesh permanently and lodge my application from there. Sooner or later, I will have to go back to my family, even if that is in Bangladesh. The only concern will be about my gf, not sure if she could cope with the climate, pollution and the language barrier. I wouldn’t want to live here in the UK as I don’t see my family getting the quality of life I would like them to have. I heard very good and exciting things about Australia and my sister seems to really enjoy living there.

In terms of moving to a new country and the finance, I think I should be ok. My sister has two big houses where we could live temporarily and also I am financially ok to support my family for long enough before I find myself a job. In fact, if everything looks promising, I might start looking for a job before I fly to Australia. I have recently become a chartered engineer and have also completed CCNP; so I hope that I stand a good chance in getting a job even in this very competitive market.

I guess if things don’t work out and if it is that difficult to move my family to Australia, I might just return home for good. I wish I could just prove the fact to the Australian Immigration that even though I lived away from home for some time, I care about my family more than anything else, but I guess I can’t prove that.

However, thank you very much again for your kind reply.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Dear Hassan,

May I get in touch with you to gain some advice regarding Aussy migration ? I hope that by now your issue would've been resolved and that you were able to move to Aussy along with your family.

Please do let me know if you can give me a small bit of advice. I am asking you this because I believe that yours and my education seem very very similar minus the work experience.

I shall be eagerly awaiting your response.

Best wishes,
VR

Dear Wanderer,

Thank you very much for your quick reply. I am very grateful for the helpful information that you have given, especially about the state migration plan which I will look into.

The only thing I fear is that my brother is not really capable of looking after my mother on his own, as her age increases I worry about her health and that my brother wouldn't be able to support her. My sister already lives in Sydney and we were looking to reunite our family after a long time being apart. I visit home very frequently and if that makes it any easier I might move to Bangladesh permanently and lodge my application from there. Sooner or later, I will have to go back to my family, even if that is in Bangladesh. The only concern will be about my gf, not sure if she could cope with the climate, pollution and the language barrier. I wouldn't want to live here in the UK as I don't see my family getting the quality of life I would like them to have. I heard very good and exciting things about Australia and my sister seems to really enjoy living there.

In terms of moving to a new country and the finance, I think I should be ok. My sister has two big houses where we could live temporarily and also I am financially ok to support my family for long enough before I find myself a job. In fact, if everything looks promising, I might start looking for a job before I fly to Australia. I have recently become a chartered engineer and have also completed CCNP; so I hope that I stand a good chance in getting a job even in this very competitive market.

I guess if things don't work out and if it is that difficult to move my family to Australia, I might just return home for good. I wish I could just prove the fact to the Australian Immigration that even though I lived away from home for some time, I care about my family more than anything else, but I guess I can't prove that.

However, thank you very much again for your kind reply.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.