Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here migrated to Australia with their pet, or is planning to if your application is still processing?

We're in the process of moving my dog from the U.S. to Australia. It seems like he'll end up costing just as much to get there as our visa applications (my son and I)!

The process is so complicated, even my vet was worried about screwing up the process and my dog being denied because they missed something small. After questioning my vet and the USDA and getting different answers or unsure responses, we decided to just use an import agency in Australia to make sure we don't mess anything up. I'd hate to make a mistake and have to start the process all over again!

Let me know your experience and any advice you may have. Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,

Yes we are migrating our dog from Sweden to AUS.

We started the application process for dog migration about 3 months after we submitted our own application.

We just followed the helpful step by step guide on the AUS gov. website.
it has a date calculator as well showing when you should complete the various steps.

I admit at first glance it was overwhelming, e.g. all the different blood tests and samples and vaccinations. But you eventually realize that once you get a few underway it's not that complicated. I think the rabies blood test and lab report was the biggest hurdle.

We are at the stage now where we will apply for the dog import permit in a few months and then do the final few dog vaccinations before booking her a flight down under to quarantine. We hope to fly her to AUS in early NOV.

As for the cost, well the testing phases were actually less than we thought. I think the main cost will be the actual flight for her.

Anyway best of luck with it all I am sure it will go fine.

·
Registered
6,557 Posts
We're in the process of moving my dog from the U.S. to Australia. It seems like he'll end up costing just as much to get there as our visa applications (my son and I)!
That has been the case for quite some time.

I have always thought that people migrating with their dogs, must love them just as much as any other family member.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Imported our dog 18 months ago from Canada, It was easy enough that we sorted it all ourselves think it ended up costing us $5000 in total we have a very large dog though 50kg+ we got screwed on quarantine costs though they changed the time in quarantine from 30 days to 10 days which was awesome as it was going to save a fortune until the day before we booked they decided to triple the price per day.

Also heard they only have 1 quarantine location that is Melbourne so that is another cost you need to factor in.

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info! We've already spent close to US$2000 just with the vet bills and cost of testing and the RNAT declaration. We're at the stage now where we can apply for the import permit, and he's about 4 months away from flying to quarantine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.