Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who may be interested here are some links to booklets on migration trends to Australia from the DIBP website. Interesting to compare the 2010 report to the current 2017 report. A wealth of data in visa classes, countries of applicants, skills, changing and consistent trends, etc. For example the number of partner visa grants have been virtually identical for the last 5 years, and grew only slightly over the 5 years prior.

https://www.border.gov.au/about/rep...tistics/live-in-australia/migration-programme

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
That's because they are so good at planning!

A few years earlier there was actually a reduction in Partner Visa grants.

·
Banned
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's because they are so good at planning!

A few years earlier there was actually a reduction in Partner Visa grants.
According to the graphs in the migration reports there has been steady growth since 2003 (save for a small downwards bump one year), then it has leveled off around 48,000 in the past 5 years.

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
It use to be easy to get exact numbers for each year - not now.

"It is worth noting that 2009-10 has been the most productive in numbers of Partner Visas issued, at 60,254 with a total staff of 7999 and as above overseas staff of around 1,000. In 2014-15 the estimated aim is to be 1.05% higher at 60,885 with obviously higher staffing levels than 09-10."

From what I wrote there it seems Partner Visa numbers were reduced after 2010.

I will have all the numbers some where - I checked numbers, prices and staff levels over around 12-15 years pre our application.

·
Registered
391 Posts
this correlates with the steep increase of 'irregular maratine arrivals (or IMAs) ie asylum seekers and the media hysteria and political pandering to the so called populist opinion surrounding that. when abbot came in he rebranded them "illegal maratine arrivals". I'm so disgusted and ashamed about my counties treatment of these desperate people particularly the continued offshore imprisonment.

·
Banned
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm so disgusted and ashamed about my counties treatment of these desperate people particularly the continued offshore imprisonment.
I watched the documentary Chasing Asylum about the offshore detention centers on a Qantas flight last year. I understand the need to control illegal immigration, though some of the depictions were rather harsh and resembled Guantanamo.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I watched the documentary Chasing Asylum about the offshore detention centers on a Qantas flight last year. I understand the need to control illegal immigration, though some of the depictions were rather harsh and resembled Guantanamo.
A brave choice for a flight, I would have been waiting to be detained by the time I arrived after watching that 😂.

I'm still waiting to find a flight that has air crash investigations in its TV list.

If there was good planning then there would be no backlogs.

·
Banned
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It use to be easy to get exact numbers for each year - not now.

"It is worth noting that 2009-10 has been the most productive in numbers of Partner Visas issued, at 60,254 with a total staff of 7999 and as above overseas staff of around 1,000. In 2014-15 the estimated aim is to be 1.05% higher at 60,885 with obviously higher staffing levels than 09-10."
I now see where you got your number of 60,254. I was posting the numbers from the Report on Migraton Program 2009-10 booklet and the 2016-17 Migraton Programme Report booklet that are downloaded PDF's from the website I posted originally. I have attached two graphs with numbers from each booklet and here is the associated text:

Family Stream In Detail
The outcome of 60,254 in the Family Stream was 0.1 per cent below the planning
level of 60,300. This accounted for 35.7 per cent of the total Migration Program
outcome.
Demand in the Family Stream decreased marginally by 1.9 per cent between
2008-09 and 2009-10. 72,346 clients remain in the pipeline, 36.2 per cent of whom
are Non-Contributory Parents.
Partner
The outcome in the Partner category of 44,755 was 0.5 per cent below the planning
level of 45,000 places. This outcome comprised 74.3 per cent of the Family Stream
outcome. This outcome is comprised of 37,527 Spouse, 210 Interdependent and
7,018 Fiancé visas. Chart L shows Partner outcomes since 2003-04.
Chart L: Partner outcome 2003-04 to 2009-10

Partner
The 2016-17 outcome in the Partner category was 47,825 places. This outcome comprised 85.1 per cent of the total Family stream, comprising 43,896 Spouse and 3929 Fiancé visas.
Demand for places in the Partner category increased by 7.1 per cent to 56,333 applications in 2016-17 from 52,603 applications in 2015-16. The pipeline as at 30 June 2017 was 71,523 clients, a decrease of 0.7 per cent compared to the pipeline as at 30 June 2016.
Figure 13 shows the Partner category outcome for the period from 2007-08 to 2016-17.

Attachments

·
Banned
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A brave choice for a flight, I would have been waiting to be detained by the time I arrived after watching that 😂.

I'm still waiting to find a flight that has air crash investigations in its TV list.

If there was good planning then there would be no backlogs.
I once saw an episode of air crash on a flight to the Caribbean. Also watched DieHard 2 on a particularly turbulent flight to the horror of my fellow passenger years ago. I find Qantas has lots of great documentaries in flight.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I once saw an episode of air crash on a flight to the Caribbean. Also watched DieHard 2 on a particularly turbulent flight to the horror of my fellow passenger years ago. I find Qantas has lots of great documentaries in flight.
Air Canada's movie/documentary selection is rather slim these days. I ended up watching Logan and Get Out on the way there, in between being woken up by an angry passenger who said my snoring was "literally killing her"

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
"Won't be your problem for much longer then will it love"
Haha!! Dang! I totally should have said that. It was actually my first interaction with an Australian IN Australia, technically.

I was in a haze. I had taken a sleep aide because I had never flown 14+ hours before. When I went back to sleep and woke up just as we landed, I was confused and wondering if I had dreamed the whole thing. I didn't. The person next to my partner (when told the story) said she slept just fine right next to us.

Oh well. When we landed in Brisbane, the Queensland ambulance guys had to come on the plane and check her out. Apparently she had really bad food poisoning and that's what was killing her.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Haha!! Dang! I totally should have said that. It was actually my first interaction with an Australian IN Australia, technically.

I was in a haze. I had taken a sleep aide because I had never flown 14+ hours before. When I went back to sleep and woke up just as we landed, I was confused and wondering if I had dreamed the whole thing. I didn't. The person next to my partner (when told the story) said she slept just fine right next to us.

Oh well. When we landed in Brisbane, the Queensland ambulance guys had to come on the plane and check her out. Apparently she had really bad food poisoning and that's what was killing her.
Seriously never say anything I think isa good idea.

If you spend your time thinking "what would mania say" then saying the exact opposite you'll be popular and earn millions.

Snorings always worse when your ill! I joke above but I can't stand it, it's not the worst thing to hear on a plane, the worst is hearing the people behind you saying "please can we have the inflight cot" then you know your totally screwed.

Annnnyway I've managed to totally derail this thread so I apologise and will go to bed >_<

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Seriously never say anything I think isa good idea.

If you spend your time thinking "what would mania say" then saying the exact opposite you'll be popular and earn millions.

Snorings always worse when your ill! I joke above but I can't stand it, it's not the worst thing to hear on a plane, the worst is hearing the people behind you saying "please can we have the inflight cot" then you know your totally screwed.

Annnnyway I've managed to totally derail this thread so I apologise and will go to bed >_<
Haha. Sound advice! To be honest though (and this is the last I'll go off topic here) my snoring isn't that bad. According to the lady next to us, who barely slept, we didn't make much noise and looked quite peaceful in our brief slumber haha.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I was once on a flight in China and this guy was snoring so loud it disrupted the whole first class cabin. Flight attendant wouldn't do anything, so I went and woke him up, had to or someone would have thrown him out the plane. This was not your garden variety snoring either, this was like a jackhammer.
Like he drank a full 26'r of Canadian Club and was sawing logs for a wood cabin kind of snoring?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.