Australia Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
One easy way to find out is to search via Google for 'racism' and '[name of country]'. You can then peruse different examples by selecting 'Web' (default search), 'News', 'Videos', and so forth. You will find the range of information about any country you search, from news stories of bashings and discrimination, to scholarly articles on manifestations in societal norms. Every country has something shameful going on, and Australia is no exception.

Reactions: jasontweezy

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a few friends who relocated to Aussie and I have never heard them complain. Some may suffer from isolation due to cultural gaps and language but nothing else.

Based on my own experience, Aussie businessmen are usually very nice, quite open-minded and on occasions very funny once you get more familiar with them.
Most importantly, when we get to talk about their life, they all seem to have friends who come from Europe, Asia, and islands.

I would not think that Australia is a racist country, and I actually look forward to go there one day.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Isn't that you can meet idiots whenever you go? I would never call Australians racists. But if you're unlucky you can meet some boshtets here and there. But don't think of it as a rule. It just happens. Australians in general are very friendly and very polite.
Yes mate most Australian are a very friendly & fun loving people. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
One easy way to find out is to search via Google for 'racism' and '[name of country]'. You can then peruse different examples by selecting 'Web' (default search), 'News', 'Videos', and so forth. You will find the range of information about any country you search, from news stories of bashings and discrimination, to scholarly articles on manifestations in societal norms. Every country has something shameful going on, and Australia is no exception.
Except for the very few, most Australians are very friendly & loving people

·
Registered
1 Posts
My experience, which is not representative, is that there's far less political correctness.

Twice, I've found myself in the receiving end of very vintage hate speech in very public, crowded places in broad daylight. The first (Perth CBD) was from a man who was upset that I'd interrupted his domestic violence session, though can't be surprised since same crowd ignored the violence. The second (Sydney, Oxford St) was from a man who very loudly berated and threatened to kill me for supposedly following him; the attack lasted long enough for me to snap a picture,call 000, etc. Many walked by and did nothing. The only person who helped was a pop up shopkeeper (from Iraq). Perhaps it says more about bystander effect, but I still found the silence more hurtful.

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
Parts of Oxford street in Sydney were always best avoided at one time.

This was once said about Oxford St.

He says very few fights are premeditated but tend to be "thrill assaults", often homophobic or racially-motivated,

Most other Sydney areas seemed pretty safe though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Been living in NSW, QLD, and SA. QLD has tons of ******* police compare to NSW and SA. People in Australia are generally pretty layback, while many people do actually look down on Asian though keep that to themselves most of the time or limit to their mouth.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes mate most Australian are a very friendly & fun loving people. :)
I am a tall, very white Australian man. I have always been friendly, respectful and culturally aware. And I have experienced racism against me in many Asian and even European countries. So it isn't confined to just Caucasian populations, just depends if you have the bad luck to come across someone with "that" attitude.

·
Registered
2 Posts
what are they?
and like neighborhoods, suburbs and little Towns
I don't think it's wise to bear such a mentality. The truth about racism is it is over the entire planet and has existed as far back as the time of creation. The angels felt superior to man as obvious as it was that God gave Man dominion over the earth. The nations of the earth felt threatened by the jews..etc. Gradually over time racism has evolved to the hydra it is today. It is always best to have a liberal mind on the issue than rather tag a place or people as most racist. That way you openly liberal.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I don't think it's wise to bear such a mentality. The truth about racism is it is over the entire planet and has existed as far back as the time of creation. The angels felt superior to man as obvious as it was that God gave Man dominion over the earth. The nations of the earth felt threatened by the jews..etc. Gradually over time racism has evolved to the hydra it is today. It is always best to have a liberal mind on the issue than rather tag a place or people as most racist. That way you openly liberal.
Lol. It is a mix of being very funny and very worrying that people might still believe this sort of thing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I agree builder. Most Aussies are friendly and welcoming people.

I do think that it has improved significantly though over the decades. But that is probably the case for many other countries.

Don't limit your enjoyment based on few ignorant people. Vast majority of Aussies are caring and loving people.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I think that if you have such a prejudice before even having visited the country, you may be better staying at home.
Seriously, it would be better for yourself. With such a mindset, you won't enjoy yourself.
I can't count how many times I heard that "Australians are all racists", before moving there. Most saying that were Arabs and Asians. Every time I heard that, I thought that was silly.
And indeed, I never felt any Australian I have met was racist. It may be because English is not my first language that I don't always understand all subtleties, but anyway, it's something you perceive if the guy is making fun of you, and I have never experienced that.
Maybe I have been lucky so far, I don't know.
The cool koala, i think this is a fair question. As sadly there is racism around some parts of the country. If there wasnt we wouldnt have a crazy australian killing muslims in nz or a politician able to make racisit when ever she feels.

As a white a australian i want to know the answer to this question as my partner is african.

I do know Melbourne is one of the least racist cities as we are incredibly multicultural

·
Registered
140 Posts
I think that if you have such a prejudice before even having visited the country, you may be better staying at home.
Seriously, it would be better for yourself. With such a mindset, you won't enjoy yourself.
I can't count how many times I heard that "Australians are all racists", before moving there. Most saying that were Arabs and Asians. Every time I heard that, I thought that was silly.
And indeed, I never felt any Australian I have met was racist. It may be because English is not my first language that I don't always understand all subtleties, but anyway, it's something you perceive if the guy is making fun of you, and I have never experienced that.
The cool koala, i think this is a fair question. As sadly there is racism around some parts of the country. If there wasnt we wouldnt have a crazy australian killing muslims in nz or a politician able to make racisit when ever she feels.

As a white a australian i want to know the answer to this question as my partner is african.

I do know Melbourne is one of the least racist cities as we are incredibly multicultural
If I can just chime in, as an African who's only visited the country 3 times. I can tell you I have never perceived it openly or subtly and I've travelled to some rural and cities. (All in the south) I expected some racism just because everywhere else I've travelled to in the "west" I've experienced it, (I've had a man get up and move seats in a train in Italy when i sat opposite them and he urged his wife to, she didn't.) but right from the airport lounge Aussies just seem too friendly and easy going people. Maybe it may happen, but I've never felt or heard anything directed to me.

·
Registered
153 Posts

If I can just chime in, as an African who's only visited the country 3 times. I can tell you I have never perceived it openly or subtly and I've travelled to some rural and cities. (All in the south) I expected some racism just because everywhere else I've travelled to in the "west" I've experienced it, (I've had a man get up and move seats in a train in Italy when i sat opposite them and he urged his wife to, she didn't.) but right from the airport lounge Aussies just seem too friendly and easy going people. Maybe it may happen, but I've never felt or heard anything directed to me.
I am so happy to hear it!!! As this is what worried. My partner is currently in austria and it is quite racist there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have heard Australians saying that some parts of Queensland can get rather racist, but I have no idea myself.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts