Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone i wanna reassure that my child will have Australian Citizenship.
I am an Australian citizen by discent that came recently in Australia to live. My baby will be born here soon :) Will she have Australian citizenship by birth? Is there any restrictions i have to be aware of?
Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Hello everyone i wanna reassure that my child will have Australian Citizenship.
I am an Australian citizen by discent that came recently in Australia to live. My baby will be born here soon :) Will she have Australian citizenship by birth? Is there any restrictions i have to be aware of?
Thank you in advance!
Someone recently had a thread very similar to this. You can find it here.

According to the thread in the link, it would appear that as a citizen by descent, you would need to have resided in Australia for two years prior to applying for citizenship by descent for your child.

However, there is this is from the department -
"Children born in Australia automatically acquire Australian citizenship if at least one parent is an Australian citizen or permanent resident at the time of the child's birth."
I'm not sure if the same two year period applies if the child is born inside Australia. Best to consult with a RMA.

·
Registered
6,877 Posts
That other thread relating to 2 years, was for a child who was born outside Australia.

A child born inside Australia, to an Australian parent will be Australian.

It happens a lot, in fact the parent doesn't even need to be a Citizen, just needs to have PR.

Reactions: CollegeGirl

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
That other thread relating to 2 years, was for a child who was born outside Australia.

It happens a lot, in fact the parent doesn't even need to be a Citizen, just needs to have PR.
Ah ok. Thanks for the correction. I wasn't sure, that's why I said I wasn't sure if the same two year period applied.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Happy to hear that! Thank you very much for your reply!

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
Yes this is why I don't like persons going back to "home country" for birth for "family support" when one is on PR but the other not.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.