Australia Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm reposting this here from the New Member's Introduction forum. Happy for any advice any of you have re. our situation. Cheers.

Hey folks, long time lurker, 6th or 7th time poster. But this is my first intro.

So I was born and raised in Perth, Western Australia, but currently live in Ancona on the Adriatic Coast of Italy with my Italian wife and 8 month old baby girl. Said wife is pregnant with our 2nd child and it's all golden.

My partner, by Italian standards, earns a decent living and I manage to contribute by working for a local small winery when they need someone who knows what their doing in the cellar (was a winemaker back home, but here I'm a glorified cellar rat) but she's the major bread-winner at the moment.

Anyhoo, before we found out that we were expecting another child we were planning to apply for the offshore partner visa just to get the ball rolling before immigrating post approval. We'd accumulated a lot of documents and translations when we applied for our daughter's Australian citizenship by descent, so we're not far from having the full panoply of paperwork for the partner visa application, so it's not all that more of an effort really, apart from certain particulars and the hefty price tag...!

However, now that another bairn is on the way, and since my partner is getting her arse kicked by morning sickness and will probably go on maternity leave sooner rather than later (Italy has a very generous maternity leave scheme, amazeballs!) we're thinking of flying to Australia and applying for the onshore partner visa instead.

I know there's a "more proper" way to do it, but yeah, we're thinking of flying wifey in on an ETV and then realising epiphany-like and ever so disingenuously that we want to stay in Oz and apply for her permanent residency.

Importantly this enables me to go back to my old place of work (who incidentally are happy to have me back!) and also allows me to start rehabilitating the family vineyard that has been neglected of late. We'll have two solid incomes for nearly a year while we're settling in, which is certainly nothing to snort at.

Obviously, we'll have to fly before there are any airline restrictions pertaining to pregnancy, and of course she can't be so large that immigration will think to question our intentions, but I'm hoping it will be doable. The fact that Italians are covered by Medicare for 6 months upon arrival is definitely an important factor I'm plugging into this equation, and obviously we'll book return tickets.

I know there are a lot of potential what-ifs and pitfalls in this scenario, but I'm hoping that you knowledgeable forum folk will have some pearls of wisdom that will help smooth out this ride for us.

Cheers and we'll keep you posted.

·
Premium Member
6,600 Posts
Your approach seems totally plausible. The WA wine industry will be lucky to have you back, including any new skills you may have acquired in Italy. A family visit to Australia followed by a sudden epiphany sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your approach seems totally plausible. The WA wine industry will be lucky to have you back, including any new skills you may have acquired in Italy. A family visit to Australia followed by a sudden epiphany sounds perfectly reasonable to me.
Haha, good to hear. Hopefully my wife stays on the same page for the duration of the process. Not sure how she'll handle the poor cheese selection at the local IGA. It might get the better of her...

·
Premium Member
6,600 Posts
Haha, good to hear. Hopefully my wife stays on the same page for the duration of the process. Not sure how she'll handle the poor cheese selection at the local IGA. It might get the better of her...
Even in little Cairns we can buy some very good imported cheeses nowadays, so it should be no problem in Perth. And Tasmania produces some exrtra-ordinary product as well, but I get what you're saying...I have been able to bring vacuum packed cheese from the Netherlands through customs, so that could be an option to ward of the initial withdrawals. Just make sure to declare it !

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Even in little Cairns we can buy some very good imported cheeses nowadays, so it should be no problem in Perth. And Tasmania produces some exrtra-ordinary product as well, but I get what you're saying...I have been able to bring vacuum packed cheese from the Netherlands through customs, so that could be an option to ward of the initial withdrawals. Just make sure to declare it !
Sure, I can go to "The Boatshed" in Cottesloe and find a lot of gorgeous cheese. But of course, it's the preserve of the well-to-do and they slug you for the privilege. I guess when you're used to paying Italian prices, everything is a rip-off in Oz, except fuel at bowser perhaps.

We'll miss Pecorino (hard or soft), Mozzarella di Bufala DOP, Cheap gorgonzola, stracchino and robiola (soft fresh cheeses). And not to mention the infinite permutations on ham. That said, a lot more of these products are becoming more and more available in Australia. A lot has changed in the past 15 years, I must admit.

At least the beach will be awesome and the bureaucracy slightly less Byzantine. Oh and the roads. Aussie roads are the best! Not the drivers, mind you. The roads. Here you pay ridiculous fees and rates and the roads are shocking. Pot holes, cracks, sinkholes, no markings. In Oz they're immaculate.

I could go on for days... Haha.

Ps. We were meant to head to Tassie for our honeymoon, but then some eager beaver got herself up the duff....

·
Premium Member
6,600 Posts
We'll miss Pecorino (hard or soft), Mozzarella di Bufala DOP, Cheap gorgonzola, stracchino and robiola (soft fresh cheeses). And not to mention the infinite permutations on ham. ..
Stop it !!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.