Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I need a advice on moving to Northern Territory Australia..
I am a Software Professional , My Immigration consultant is suggesting me to go for northern territory state sponsorship..

Well I did some web search on NT, & found Darwin & Alice springs as major cities over in there, but not able to figure out any presence of IT/Software Companies over there, It seems most of like a tourist place or Mining stuff is more popular over there..

Any suggestions Will be Highly Appericiated.
FYI - I had my Skill assesment positive & IELTS 7.0

·
Read Only
513 Posts
There is very little in terms of IT in Darwin unless you can get in on a government contract. Alice Springs is far too small... Is there any reason your agent suggested NT?

Almost anywhere in Australia except NT would have a high demand for IT skills. I'm sure there is a little bit of demand in Darwin, but it would be very hard to find and secure something if you aren't living there already.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ahhm, I thought so about darwin or any other city in NT, any suggestions for other states ?
I have 55 as my total points as of today , though I will be re-checking with my Agent why he is saying NT, If i can get some pointers on what all i am eligible on would really help me ..

Thanks in advance folks..

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can anyone else please comment on Living in Northern Territory.., Any native australian citizen.. or anyone who has moved to NT in recent past.., Please comment on How is NT as for Software professional, Is there any demand of this profession over there.. ?

·
Read Only
513 Posts
Can anyone else please comment on Living in Northern Territory.., Any native australian citizen.. or anyone who has moved to NT in recent past.., Please comment on How is NT as for Software professional, Is there any demand of this profession over there.. ?
I've never been to Darwin myself but you need to remember it's a very small city of only roughly 130,000 people and it's very isolated.

I work in IT myself in Western Australia and I doubt there would be a huge demand for software professionals in the Northern Territory, but you never know. If you are able to get a job with a government department or a contracting company who works for the government you might be alright, but based on friends experiences there's not a lot of opportunities in Darwin for IT professionals.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I don't think there is much opportunity in NT as far as IT is considered. You should be considering applying for either NSW or VIC first. NSW has the highest number of IT openings and VIC is second best. All the other cities Brisbane, Adeliade, Perth , Canberra would come after that. I would definitely recommend you not to select NT and TAS if you consider searching for a job in IT.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can anyone tell me, What are the implications of State Sponsorship.., If I didnt get the required Job in that Skill in the State, Will I be eligible to move to Other State ? (I am aware of that 2 years restriction)...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And How Soon, Can I again reply for new 189/190 Visa, Lets Say If I Wish to re-apply it before 2 years of Current State Sponsorship VISA.., What would be the difficulties in that Case.. ?

·
Registered
44 Posts
NT is not technology oriented, you're not going to find much opportunity there. your agent might have suggested it because Australia wants more people to move to NT as it is the less developed part of Australia, so it might be easier to get sponsored in that respect. but you're going to have a harder time finding employment in your field, so I would suggest talking to your agent about looking as others have said in NSW or VIC.

·
Registered
26 Posts
In a case where you have got your NT SS and the 190 visa, once you come onshore, you must search for a job in NT. If you are unable to get any due to insufficient openings, etc etc, I believe you have to show the valid proof/correspondence of not being able to get a job/clear interviews to that state government. If the state agrees with it, they could let you move on to other states in search of your job.

·
Registered
26 Posts
See ultimately 190 permanent residence visa is given by DIAC. once you get it, there is no reason to reapply for 189. That doesn't make any sense. Like I said above, you will have to make a genuine attempt for a job search and if that doesn't work out, the state may let you work elsewhere. The two year clause is just a gentleman's agreement.

In my case,I was on a 457 and currently working in Sydney. I had a 190 granted on a VIC SS. Considering I am already onshore, my 190 visa got activated immediately and replaced 457. However, since i am on a contract with my employer in Sydney, I can't move to VIC for the next 6 months.

The letter from VIC also states that I should inform them when I move to VIC. I do want to move and live in VIC permanently and will do that once my current contract in Sydney terminates.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Ganesh

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I am Faisal. I want to apply for NT state sponsorship? can u tell me how and where to apply it?
My CDR assessment is complete. My IELTS score is overall 7.0 and i have submitted EOI on 14th March 2014.
Thank you.
Rgs

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.