Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there! We are a family starting the emigratation process to Australia. We both have professions on the critical skills list, but my husband has Multiple Sclerosis, although it is manageable and he continues to work and will continue to be able to do so.
Can anyone give us some advice on whether the MS will be a huge deterrent to us being awarded visas? We do not want to go through all of the expense if there is a good chance after spending much money, that our application will be declined.
Would love any advice, thanks!

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Hi there! We are a family starting the emigratation process to Australia. We both have professions on the critical skills list, but my husband has Multiple Sclerosis, although it is manageable and he continues to work and will continue to be able to do so.
Can anyone give us some advice on whether the MS will be a huge deterrent to us being awarded visas? We do not want to go through all of the expense if there is a good chance after spending much money, that our application will be declined.
Would love any advice, thanks!
Hi DDZ [ and I'll move this to the Visas&Immigration thread too ]

Before talking of medical implications, you had better beware that the CSL has been revoked and a new SOL is to shortly be implemented along with a new prioritisation regime, in effect State Migration Plans [ when announced ] possibly containing most of what were on the CSL and possibly more, with variation state by state.

So from that aspect, have a look at http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/new-list-of-occupations.pdf and http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/priority-processing.pdf , there being other announcements dated 08February and 17 May in association that you can use What's New? Recent Changes in General Skilled Migration to view.

With meeting health requirements, it does seem quite an imposition that it is not possible to find out about how one will fare until an application has been made, including a hefty fee paid.
There is currently an Australian Government parliamentary committee looking into health matters associated with immigration and I would hope that some recognition is given to the situation so people do have the option of at least getting a medical assessment up front by paying the relevant fee.

That is in fact already done by some immigration visa applicants in what is called front loading of their applications, or getting a medical examination done at the time they have their application ready to submit, though they are still not going to be informed of the MOC recommendations unless you found one whose arm you could twist a bit and that's most unlikely I'd suspect! .
The immediate problem I can see that immigration will have with getting an early medical decision is that they consider them valid for only 12 months and processing of many visas can take considerably longer.

Perhaps if they could put something in place like a pre-medical on the basis of there being a later medical to be the determining one to cover any changes in time, that may be workable for some but I also suspect once you had something like that in place it would become an even bigger can of worms than what already exists.

Meanwhile the approach is outlined on http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1071i.pdf
I also found the following post by an Immigration Agent which outlines some associated data.
if any one family member fails the health requirement all family members will be refused the visa (unless the visa being applied for is one which has access to a health waiver)?
no condition, with the exception of tuberculosis, automatically precludes the grant of a visa?
all other conditions are investigated individually for estimated costs and resource use impact on the Australian community regardless of whether the visa applicant accesses these services or not once in Australia?
where potential health costs for a condition are determined to reach 50% or more of the average per capita health care and community services cost for an Australian over a five-year period, these costs are considered significant and likely to result in visa refusal?
the current significant cost threshold is around A$24,000 or A$4,800 per annum?
costs taken into account include the applicant's likely need for medical, pharmaceutical and community services, including assisted accommodation, home and community care, special education and income support such as Special Benefit, Disability Support Pension and Carer's Pension, and that these costs can amount to more than $2 million for one person?
Resource use impact refers to facilities in high demand, where waiting lists are common, or where the consequences of failure to obtain treatment may seriously disadvantage a person by causing premature death, unnecessary pain or suffering or loss of quality of life. Examples of diseases or conditions which will fall within this group are ones which require:
• organ transplant
• recurrent use of blood or blood products
• radiotherapy
• dialysis
• interferon treatment
• nursing home or residential care, or
• treatment for active hepatitis
that despite the above all is not lost if you or a family member have a health condition initially expected to impose significant health costs to the Australian community and thus prevent you from obtaining a visa? Speak with a professional advisor who has experience in this area as many migrants have been successful in obtaining their visa despite initial gloomy prospects.

Perhaps the existing costs you know of will allow you to make some sort of a judgement for yourselves based on comparing to some of the figures mentioned in the above post.

Best wishes for the future wherever it is.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your detailed response, Wanderer - much appreciated!! He is currently on Interferon treatment, which is listed in your quotation... guess we will just have to have a good look into it. It's a financial risk we may be willing to take, regarding expensive visa applications etc - what will be will be!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi DDZ,
As it seems to me, we are on the similar situation as you have been in half a year before: thinking to start the immigration process to Australia, but wondering whether we will get a visa, as I am have MS and get a treatment with Interferon. I am on Interferon for 5 years already, doing well, work and so on. Both of us (my wife and me) have professions on the critical skills list.
I will really appreciate and thank you for your time and consideration, if you could answer whether you get a visa and may be to share some information about the theme.
Thanks a lot,
semel321

·
Registered
51 Posts
hunny

Hi DDZ,
As it seems to me, we are on the similar situation as you have been in half a year before: thinking to start the immigration process to Australia, but wondering whether we will get a visa, as I am have MS and get a treatment with Interferon. I am on Interferon for 5 years already, doing well, work and so on. Both of us (my wife and me) have professions on the critical skills list.
I will really appreciate and thank you for your time and consideration, if you could answer whether you get a visa and may be to share some information about the theme.
Thanks a lot,
semel321
Dear Wanderer
thanks for the great information, i had a look into your information regarding the calculation of health costs before i applied for my 175 visa on 28th June 2012.
my wife is a paitent of MS since 2009, the MS progressed to numbness in her left leg but situation was controlled by using TYSABRI since novemeber 2010 after her pregancy period finished. she is still taking TYSABRI and will finish her 2 year qouta in NOV 2012 as dr suggested TYSABRI shouldnt be taken more than 2 years. 2 years on she will go for interferons as per doctor which is cheaper than tysabri. i refered to msaustralia.org.au for prices of interferons.
i sincerely hope they will allow her for 175 visa as a secondary applicant, since by the time medical is conducted by DIAC she will already be finishing her TYSABRI qouta and as per my calculation for interforne costs on msaustralia.org.au MS Australia[/url] it will cost around 12000-15000 AUS $ to ausi government per year for her after TYSABRI treatment finishes. which should be fine incase of grant of 175 visa.
please suggest one thing should we disclose her medical history during the health assessment as MS is not detectable by blood test?
also let me know, if she and all our family migrating on 175 will immediately eligible for medicare and PBS on arriving australia as she would require interferons every second day (classical treatment of MS).

awaiting your reply anxiously

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hi Hunny,

If working for the government has taught me anything, it is that always be honest. While it might be tempting to withhold information regarding your wife's MS for the medical, when you get to Australia and access a public hospital for the treatment the information will be shared with other government agencies (ie medicare initially) and when it comes to government, there is no such thing as confidentiality. Withholding information will unfortuantly come back to bite you. Immigration can revoke visas should they find information that may change the outcome of the visa was withheld.

Each case is assessed individually and you might find that the Australian government considers it a reasonable cost. But IMHO you wouldn't want to give immigration any reason to ever refuse a visa...

Good luck whatever you choose to do.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Dear russille

Do I need to write in the application about a little background on medical history let us say MS or it let it be explained during the medicals check ups requested by the case officer?

Thanks if you clarify hidden information if any in this regard

·
Registered
199 Posts
You have ti get a report from your GP and hand it in when the medicals are being dne fir the doctor to see.
my hubby also has an illness and we read form 26 and there was a reference to that.
Luckly we had read it beacuse the doctor would be able to clear the medicals until this was handed in.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Hunny said:
Dear russille

Do I need to write in the application about a little background on medical history let us say MS or it let it be explained during the medicals check ups requested by the case officer?

Thanks if you clarify hidden information if any in this regard
I would rather write my own version explaining how this affects or doesn't affect you. You can always use this to explain and convey your point of you.
While doctors report will be a doctors review...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi all
I hv applied for 175 visa and I'm expecting CO allocation very soon.
My wife has MS with severity of grade 2 as per GP.
Can anybody let me know successful visa grant with primary or secondary applicant under MS ongoing medicine/doses? I need to know how should we deal with her case when CO asks for medicals?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Help!

Hey guys,
I just wanted to ask, did you get any answers in your cases yet?

I have kind of a similar problem, though different. My mum is suffering from MS and wants to come visit me in Australia for 2 weeks for a holiday.
Immigration requested a medical to be undertaken and now it takes 3 months to process a TOURIST visa.

Is it really possible that she could be denied a 2 week holiday? :confused:
Anyone out there with experiences???

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone, I dont normally respond on threads, but unfortunately there are sooo few of us with MS, who are on Meds, and who dream of working and living in Australia, I feel its important to share my story. I was diagnosed 11 years ago, was on everything but have been on tysabri for 4 years and it is a wonder drug. No symptoms and havent been hospitalised for 3 years.
I work for a Large Multinational IT company in Ireland and actually managed to get myself a promotion and relocation to Melbourne. Flights, visa, accomodation... the whole lot! Dream come true eh?
Then I went on with the 457 visa Application. My husband has an IT background but more recently had his own Business so would like to get a very good positiion in Oz for approx $100k pa and my OTE Salary was $180k. Lot of money eh? As I say, Dream stuff. The 2 children 9 and 15 said goodby to the friends and finished school, and we were all set to go!

My medical was referred on the 21st December 2012 and I received a response from Deloitte ( MARA Agent assigned to me) to say the Visa was being refused due to the cost of my medication ( which they costed at $97k over the 4 year Visa term) unless I received a Health Undertaking from my Employer within 28 days.
So i thought to myself, Major IT Multinational, no worries.. They said No. So for 3 weeks I worked my backside off to try and change their minds. I offered to pay for the drugs myself ($2k per month to come out of my salary), I contacted Biogen to see if they could sponsor me, but unfortunately these options were not allowed as they would contravene the Immigration laws.
As part of my package I was also going to be receiving BUPA Overseas Visitor Platinum cover, which I discovered about 5 days before the expiration of the 28days WOULD cover ALL the cost of my medication and administration in Royal Melbourne Hospital.
I thought, this is perfect, but my Employer still said No. They felt it was an unreasonable request from the Australia Immigration to ask them to give a Pro-forma for $97k but it wasnt capped. Therefore they saw that it could be up to any value. My visa application was withdrawn on the 26th Feb 2013.
I can see the point my Employer made. I am back at work now in Ireland, the children are back at school, and my husband is now looking for work here.

I am not trying to put anyone off, I am aware that the Local Governments in Australia DO offer Waivers to highly skilled employees, however, you should be aware that although we are all well, living our lives, daring to dream - sometimes the World is just not ready for us...

·
Premium Member
9,033 Posts
Hi everyone, I dont normally respond on threads, but unfortunately there are sooo few of us with MS, who are on Meds, and who dream of working and living in Australia, I feel its important to share my story. I was diagnosed 11 years ago, was on everything but have been on tysabri for 4 years and it is a wonder drug. No symptoms and havent been hospitalised for 3 years.
I work for a Large Multinational IT company in Ireland and actually managed to get myself a promotion and relocation to Melbourne. Flights, visa, accomodation... the whole lot! Dream come true eh?
Then I went on with the 457 visa Application. My husband has an IT background but more recently had his own Business so would like to get a very good positiion in Oz for approx $100k pa and my OTE Salary was $180k. Lot of money eh? As I say, Dream stuff. The 2 children 9 and 15 said goodby to the friends and finished school, and we were all set to go!

My medical was referred on the 21st December 2012 and I received a response from Deloitte ( MARA Agent assigned to me) to say the Visa was being refused due to the cost of my medication ( which they costed at $97k over the 4 year Visa term) unless I received a Health Undertaking from my Employer within 28 days.
So i thought to myself, Major IT Multinational, no worries.. They said No. So for 3 weeks I worked my backside off to try and change their minds. I offered to pay for the drugs myself ($2k per month to come out of my salary), I contacted Biogen to see if they could sponsor me, but unfortunately these options were not allowed as they would contravene the Immigration laws.
As part of my package I was also going to be receiving BUPA Overseas Visitor Platinum cover, which I discovered about 5 days before the expiration of the 28days WOULD cover ALL the cost of my medication and administration in Royal Melbourne Hospital.
I thought, this is perfect, but my Employer still said No. They felt it was an unreasonable request from the Australia Immigration to ask them to give a Pro-forma for $97k but it wasnt capped. Therefore they saw that it could be up to any value. My visa application was withdrawn on the 26th Feb 2013.
I can see the point my Employer made. I am back at work now in Ireland, the children are back at school, and my husband is now looking for work here.

I am not trying to put anyone off, I am aware that the Local Governments in Australia DO offer Waivers to highly skilled employees, however, you should be aware that although we are all well, living our lives, daring to dream - sometimes the World is just not ready for us...
Oh man, what an incredibly disheartening experience, bigmove. Thank you for sharing your story. I have medical issues of my own that will be an issue, so I at least partly know where you're coming from. I'm so sorry it didn't work out for you.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The big move ,

It looks going to be the same case with my spouse who is a secondary applicant an MS patient , the next step in our application very soon is medicals.

She is on tysabri since less than 3 years and dr says she should continue till it suits her.

I've applied on 175 independent visa June 2012, me, wife n kids, CO assigned and security checks underway.

any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
9,759 Posts
Hi Hunny -

Wish I had better news - MS of special interest to me as my mother had it for over 50 years. Unfortunately the subclass 175 independent skilled visa does not have a health waiver, which means that if the Medical Officer of the Commonwealth costs the medical expenses at over $35,000 (for the first 5 years of the visa), it is likely the visa will be refused on health grounds. This visa does not have a provision that allows an applicant to argue for a waiver that the medical costs are not "undo" (ie, that the social and other benefits to Australia outweigh the projected medical costs, even if the costs are over $35k). Also, this visa does not have the health provision that the 457 has where an employer can sign an undertaking to cover all medical costs, etc.

So in your case it will all come down to how the Medical Officer of the Commonwealth determines the projected costs. Please advise if I can assist any further -

Best,

Mark Northam

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi Marc

I have some options about my career plan so should I rule out Australian immigration from this ? Any remote chances to be accepted by department ?

As if I keep on waiting for it I might lose other opportunities I have today.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Think that MS is a much misunderstood problem. I am an Australian and have had MS for coming up to it's 25th year and other than fatigue and the occasional fall there are no other symptoms. I don't work full time, manage the MS through diet and exercise and believe that people from particularly countries like the UK benefit from living here in Australia, sunshine etc. But still medical practitioners, and people who don't understand MS all think that it leads to permanent wheelchairs etc.

Also interferon is a major treatment of hepatitis and the 'interferon' for MS is betaferon, so doesn't that exclude MS treatments from the list?

Good luck everyone, I think that Australia would be good for you.

·
Super Moderator
9,759 Posts
Hi Hunny -

If the costing by the Medical Officer of the Commonwealth is below 35k for a 5yr period, then you're OK - this is the key to everything. Also, for employer nominated PR visas (subclass 186, 187) there are currently health waivers available, which essentially means you can argue that the overall benefits of your presence in Australia outweights the significant cost if the cost is above the significant cost figure.

Hope this helps -

Best,

Mark Northam

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.