Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Thank you for reading my question.

I moved to Australia two years ago with a SIR(495) visa. It's time to apply for PR(887) visa now.

I ever provided my Military Discharge Certificate during SIR visa application. In the current course of the PR visa application, I was asked to answer this qustion as follows.

Have you or any other person in this application, ever:
.served in a military force or state-sponsored or priviate militia, or
.undergone any military or paramilitary training, or
.been trained in weapons or explosives use(however described),

other than in the course of compulsory national military service?

No Yes
I'm confused if I should answer "No" or "Yes" here because I spent 8 years in the army in my country, which is among the countries with mandatory military service. It seems that "No" suits my situation but I don't wanna be misunderstood because I acknowledged this experience in SIR visa application two years ago.

Could you help me out with this question, please? Thanks.

Best regards,

John.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Is the Complusory Military trainining in your country for a full eight years? or is it more like some countries have two years and then you have volunteered to stay on for a further six years?
If the latter, I think that would make your No a Yes and it is always best in any kind of immigration application to be consistent and if erring is to occur, err in the affirmative except where claiming something that ought not to be claimed regarding points etc. for eligibility.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is the Complusory Military trainining in your country for a full eight years? or is it more like some countries have two years and then you have volunteered to stay on for a further six years?
If the latter, I think that would make your No a Yes and it is always best in any kind of immigration application to be consistent and if erring is to occur, err in the affirmative except where claiming something that ought not to be claimed regarding points etc. for eligibility.
Thank you, Wanderer. I do appreciate it.

Actually, I enrolled in a military university to spend 4 years studying and then was assigned to work in the army for another 4 years after graduation. I admit I voluntarily joined in the army by study at the beginning but had to reluctantly work in it for a period. :)

I'd better answer YES to be consistent with my SIR visa application. Right?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.