Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys! I am a long time lurker and have used a lot of information in this forum to prepare for my visa application. The below is what I'll be using to apply (and some questions...) any word of advice much appreciated!

Our History:
Met at Jan 2017 - we were working together, both of us still work in same company.
Started Living together - August 2017.

I am on temporary graduate visa due to expire on 1 Feb 2019.

I am hoping to put application in either next week or Jan - I am visiting his family over Christmas which I feel might contribute to evidence. So I either apply in the next few days or I apply mid Jan - which I am concerned might be a bit late.

Our evidence:
Relationship certificate
Photos - have a few photos with family, photos of just us during anniversary/random photos
• Messages & call logs
○ Since early 2017 - I have screenshoted about 1 or 2 screens of messages a month - should I include more?
○ There was a period of time where he went away for 2 weeks - I provided more messages these periods
○ We always call on facebook, call history seems to only go back till July 2018. We don't live apart so there are only a few calls.
Signed joint lease - signed April 2018 - I moved in with him, I signed the lease late because we initially didn't think it was necessary
Letters addressed to our address - no letters addressed to both of us however
My public transport history of me travelling to/from work to the same station everyday - this history only goes back June 2018
Bank statements
○ From 2017 to June 2018 I provided a statement every 3 months. From June 2018 to Dec 2018 I provided all statements. I also just cut off relevant purchases. I just thought it seemed like too much information to provide every bank statement every month. Should I just provide my full bank statement for every single month?
○ I highlighted purchases I made around the area as proof we were living together
○ Highlighted birthday/christmas gifts
○ I didn't highlight : meals we had together or any random activities such as movies etc, I feel like theres no way to prove that was for us - or should I include them anyway?
Joint bank account - opened August 2018 - don't think it'll be given much weight
2x form 888 (one from friend, one from family)

Notes we have never:
• Travelled overseas together
• Taken photos with friends
• Joint bills
• Evidence on facebook/social media - we do not really use social media

·
Registered
75 Posts
As you have a visa that expires soon and if you are intending to lodge onshore, you should be aware of a law change that has occurred and will affect the partner visa. It will require that the sponsor first be validated before a partner visa application can be lodged; which could take months (don't know for sure tbh, i've seen someone say it takes 6 months for sponsor to get validated currently, they could be wrong); thus preventing you from getting your bridging visa allowing you to remain onshore.

This doesn't seem to have taken affect yet on the immigration side, so if you feel you have some good evidence in each category you might want to consider no lifing the application for the next month so you can get a meaningful application in before the changes take effect. This might be bad advice, but i've read of some people lodging their application and then taking it easy for a couple weeks as they upload evidence, most people however seem to upload almost immediately, *maybe with christmas holidays coming*, now is the most likely time that they would be lacking in case officers.

If you miss the deadline and the change comes into effect before you can apply, or think you need more time to make a strong application, then maybe have some fallback plan in place.

https://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentar...slation/Bills_Search_Results/Result?bId=r5688

Also, is there anyway you can get more of the form 888? Two is just a minimum, if you lack photos with friends you could try to supplement that section with additional 888 from friends/family/colleagues. What about any work parties? The upcoming work christmas party, get some photos together then with work colleagues?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As you have a visa that expires soon and if you are intending to lodge onshore, you should be aware of a law change that has occurred and will affect the partner visa. It will require that the sponsor first be validated before a partner visa application can be lodged; which could take months (don't know for sure tbh, i've seen someone say it takes 6 months for sponsor to get validated currently, they could be wrong); thus preventing you from getting your bridging visa allowing you to remain onshore.

This doesn't seem to have taken affect yet on the immigration side, so if you feel you have some good evidence in each category you might want to consider no lifing the application for the next month so you can get a meaningful application in before the changes take effect. This might be bad advice, but i've read of some people lodging their application and then taking it easy for a couple weeks as they upload evidence, most people however seem to upload almost immediately, *maybe with christmas holidays coming*, now is the most likely time that they would be lacking in case officers.

If you miss the deadline and the change comes into effect before you can apply, or think you need more time to make a strong application, then maybe have some fallback plan in place.

Also, is there anyway you can get more of the form 888? Two is just a minimum, if you lack photos with friends you could try to supplement that section with additional 888 from friends/family/colleagues. What about any work parties? The upcoming work christmas party, get some photos together then with work colleagues?
Heya thanks for your response, I am completely not aware of this law change. I just did a google and read a few articles and it didn't seem like it has been passed yet. Maybe in my best interest to get the application in now?

I just feel that over the holidays will give my application the extra edge, maybe a few more photos with family, trips, a few christmas cards and gift purchases etc. (his family doesn't live overseas, they live in a regional area which we have visited about 3 times in the past 2 years we've been together - I provided photos + bank statements of purchases in that area as proof). I could just add that as additional evidence once the holiday periods is over?

I have almost everything that I've listed ready to be submitted, maybe just have to clear up presentation etc. I'm just waiting on my friend+his mom to fill out the 888. I could get a few more 888s, would you think theres more weight from friends or family? maybe another one from my family and from another friend..

We actually work in different areas/departments now, when I first met him we worked in the same one so we don't attend the same parties etc. we have also kept our relationship a shush from our work colleagues. No big political reason, we just felt it was weird.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Heya thanks for your response, I am completely not aware of this law change. I just did a google and read a few articles and it didn't seem like it has been passed yet. Maybe in my best interest to get the application in now?
I am in a similar position, intending to submit a decision-ready application mid-January. Our agent doesn't seem to have a concern that the sponsorship change will take place before then.

If you can get utilities into both names and proof of some joint purchases then you should. I had no problem getting my partner's name added to electricity and gas accounts.

Write wills with the other partner as the beneficiary this will add weight to your application.

I had my partner listed as beneficiary for my funeral insurance. This also adds weight in the financial statement to show that you are not going to leave your partner responsible should you pre-decease him/her. The same could be done with life insurance.

A financial statement should show clearly how the other contributes to the shared finances.

Show lots of activity on the joint bank account.

Messages to each other are more relevant and important during period of separation so more can be included for those times I think.

We were fortunate that we lived together in my partner's country for 2 years and her family and friends met me and knew about our relationship so she has 6 statements from family and friends. That will give us 8 with the 2 x 888s. If you can get more statements from those tho know you and you partner and your relationship then do so.

I have read that it's better to subit a decison-ready application and that's what we are working on, with our agent.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am in a similar position, intending to submit a decision-ready application mid-January. Our agent doesn't seem to have a concern that the sponsorship change will take place before then.

If you can get utilities into both names and proof of some joint purchases then you should. I had no problem getting my partner's name added to electricity and gas accounts.
I've tried that for Origin Energy and they only allow one name. We actually don't pay for water & gas in (included in our rent) - so only bill is energy. In one of the guides it says to list any joint household purchases, like I've bought a few things such as appliances for the place which I could highlight in my statement but I just question - how do you 'prove' that it was bought for the household? when it's something that isn't 'registered' or have both of our names against it.

Neither of us have life/funeral insurance too.

Our shared bank account is really simple, we both contribute a fixed amont every month and it goes towards rent and shared groceries. Theres not that many purchases there, groceries every 1-2 week and paying rent every month.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I've tried that for Origin Energy and they only allow one name. We actually don't pay for water & gas in (included in our rent) - so only bill is energy. In one of the guides it says to list any joint household purchases, like I've bought a few things such as appliances for the place which I could highlight in my statement but I just question - how do you 'prove' that it was bought for the household? when it's something that isn't 'registered' or have both of our names against it.

Neither of us have life/funeral insurance too.

Our shared bank account is really simple, we both contribute a fixed amont every month and it goes towards rent and shared groceries. Theres not that many purchases there, groceries every 1-2 week and paying rent every month.
That's a bit tough about Origin. We are with Red Energy and had no problem. Also, had no problem with Spintel who is our Internet provider.

You don't really have to "prove" something is purchased for the household, but whatever you purchase, get the receipt in both names, which is good evidence. Register the warranty in both names and scan the form/s if it's appliances. We didn't do that because we hadn't even considered getting a Partner visa for Australia, so struggled to get a lot of evidence but have managed to get more now we are in Australia and had to buy furniture, etc.

Our joint account shows Coles, Aldi, Woolworths. etc. which now doubt appears to Immigration to be grocery purchases.

Try and do your wills showing each other as beneficiary as it's strong evidence of your commitment to each other and the relationship. You can buy will kits from Australia Post or download free templates to print, sign and scan for upload.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I made a will as well, it was signed very recently so not sure how they'll view it.

You seem to have some decent looking evidence in the Household/Commitment area. How late was the lease signed? Is the beginning/end date of the signed lease with your name on it still the same?

I think you have some means to tackle the finance section, you have highlighted statements and such. Where you both went out together to your favourite places and you took it in turns to pay or paid halves, I think you might as well add it in there as you're highlighting each statement anyway. Also I think every 3 months maybe is too far between, I would suggest to do the very boring task and have a statement for each month, but maybe just chose 1 page for each month where perhaps there are some transactions relating to the relationship. You could further strengthen this by having separate examples of financial "sharing"; evidence of all transfers to each other; if you both went away and one of you paid for an accommodation- include proof it covered both of you and proof of payment.

On the social aspect it seems like your weakest area.
  • I would suggest to include print screen of mutual friends and your relationship on Facebook (make it if you haven't already).
  • Do you have any cards from family/friends with both your names on it? Do you have any facebook invitation to events together?
  • Two form 888 isn't enough tbh, one from each parent, one or two friends from both sides- the aim of the 888 is to demonstrate "social recognition of your relationship amongst your peers", but you could also ask your parents to explicitly state that you both lived with them free of rent, that the utilities are in their name, that there was never the need for you to take out utilities in your names.
  • Seems you don't have many photos with friends but you do have with family so that's good! Would suggest to start getting some photos together now with some friends.
  • I don't think the colleagues being unaware of the relationship is too big a deal, it's just a bit of evidence covering the genesis of the relationship that's missing. But your family/friends can maybe add some weight there

Good luck! We just lodged ours recently. For us we lived with parents most of the time and are also lacking those joint utilities/joint bank account with decent duration/shared legal commitments. I read examples of how others have tackled it, highlighting the statements etc. seems it can work.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's a bit tough about Origin. We are with Red Energy and had no problem. Also, had no problem with Spintel who is our Internet provider.

You don't really have to "prove" something is purchased for the household, but whatever you purchase, get the receipt in both names, which is good evidence. Register the warranty in both names and scan the form/s if it's appliances. We didn't do that because we hadn't even considered getting a Partner visa for Australia, so struggled to get a lot of evidence but have managed to get more now we are in Australia and had to buy furniture, etc.

Our joint account shows Coles, Aldi, Woolworths. etc. which now doubt appears to Immigration to be grocery purchases.

Try and do your wills showing each other as beneficiary as it's strong evidence of your commitment to each other and the relationship. You can buy will kits from Australia Post or download free templates to print, sign and scan for upload.
I don't fully understand how that works? for example, I bought a $300 all in one cooker that had a warranty card on it. It was paid off my card, I could highlight the statement and mentioned it was bought by me for our household but in terms of having "both names on the receipt" and "both names on warranty" I don't remember any purchases I ever made needed me to have names on warranty.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I made a will as well, it was signed very recently so not sure how they'll view it.

You seem to have some decent looking evidence in the Household/Commitment area. How late was the lease signed? Is the beginning/end date of the signed lease with your name on it still the same?
Neither of us has ever written a will haha.. It feels a bit too late/rushed to sign one now ...

The least was signed April 2018. We actually started living together August 2017 or so? the thing for us is that it wasn't a sudden decision, it was more of a "you're pretty much here every day and staying over 90% of the time you might as well move in"

I think you have some means to tackle the finance section, you have highlighted statements and such. Where you both went out together to your favourite places and you took it in turns to pay or paid halves, I think you might as well add it in there as you're highlighting each statement anyway. Also I think every 3 months maybe is too far between, I would suggest to do the very boring task and have a statement for each month, but maybe just chose 1 page for each month where perhaps there are some transactions relating to the relationship. You could further strengthen this by having separate examples of financial "sharing"; evidence of all transfers to each other; if you both went away and one of you paid for an accommodation- include proof it covered both of you and proof of payment.
I've cut out relevant pieces instead of highlighting them. I did every 3 months for the year of 2017 and every month for the last 6 months but you're right, better to have more information than less.

Yeah we've had a few transfer. Also never travelled together :( we've only went out of the city to visit family and lived in his dads place

On the social aspect it seems like your weakest area.
  • I would suggest to include print screen of mutual friends and your relationship on Facebook (make it if you haven't already).
  • Do you have any cards from family/friends with both your names on it? Do you have any facebook invitation to events together?
  • Two form 888 isn't enough tbh, one from each parent, one or two friends from both sides- the aim of the 888 is to demonstrate "social recognition of your relationship amongst your peers", but you could also ask your parents to explicitly state that you both lived with them free of rent, that the utilities are in their name, that there was never the need for you to take out utilities in your names.
  • Seems you don't have many photos with friends but you do have with family so that's good! Would suggest to start getting some photos together now with some friends.
  • I don't think the colleagues being unaware of the relationship is too big a deal, it's just a bit of evidence covering the genesis of the relationship that's missing. But your family/friends can maybe add some weight there

Good luck! We just lodged ours recently. For us we lived with parents most of the time and are also lacking those joint utilities/joint bank account with decent duration/shared legal commitments. I read examples of how others have tackled it, highlighting the statements etc. seems it can work.
will definitely try to get more 888 and screenshots of mutual friends :)

Nope.. no cards with both of our names.. his parents did give me cards for xmas last year but that was just in my name, I did include that .

Thanks so much for the advice!

·
Registered
202 Posts
I don't fully understand how that works? for example, I bought a $300 all in one cooker that had a warranty card on it. It was paid off my card, I could highlight the statement and mentioned it was bought by me for our household but in terms of having "both names on the receipt" and "both names on warranty" I don't remember any purchases I ever made needed me to have names on warranty.
Usually an appliance has a warranty card to be completed with date of purchase etc and your name and address then it's posted off to the supplier/manufacturer. You can put both names on the card and scan it.

When purchasing from someone like Harvey Norman you receive a receipt for purchases, so I had both of our names put on the receipts for purchases that we made and scanned the receipts for our application.

I don't think it matters how soon wills were made before your application. They are legal documents when signed and witnessed and do indicate your committment to each other and the partnership. It's just an easy way to add some strong evidence to your application. It shows a degree of caring and provision.

·
Registered
774 Posts
You can also show a statement from each other's Super accounts listing each other as beneficiaries. We did Wills and now realized that we need to update our Wills since we married. We're doing that and will upload them once they are signed. As for electric, my husband added me on the account through stating I'm authorized to speak with them about it. We included the email from them stating I was added. Little things like that help. We didn't include bank statements for every month...just a selection throughout the relationship (I think a total of like 4 or 5 statements). However, we did highlight all the purchases, bills, etc. If you have mobile phones, that's another bill you can add. If you have Flybuys or Woolworths accounts together, that's more evidence.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.