Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My partner has a Russian name and we have been communicating using the English translation of her first name. A few times I have used her English first name translation in our PMV 300 application regarding a short story of our relationship. This made me think a pedantic Case Officer may blow it up. :eek:

Anyway, my question is have any migrants with a non English background changed their name to an English translation or new name and was it a drama? Current documents such as Drivers Licence, Passport and Bank Accounts would have to be changed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I posted this problem with Service NSW.

https://www.australiaforum.com/visas-immigration/284789-service-nsw-didnt-accept-id.html#post1932739

I also had some people in too put some plantaion shutters in at our house and they asked my wife what her western name was (she is Vietnamese).

I asked them why did they think she had taken a western name and embarrase her ?

The reply was, it was easier for them to remember a western name and to pronounce it and spell it.

I told them she has a name and proud of it, learn it or at least try to say it correctly. How rude some people are.

All Immigration documents ask have you been know as another name, why confuse things and make life harder, the process is hard enough. But up to you.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I posted this problem with Service NSW.

https://www.australiaforum.com/visas-immigration/284789-service-nsw-didnt-accept-id.html#post1932739

I also had some people in too put some plantaion shutters in at our house and they asked my wife what her western name was (she is Vietnamese).

I asked them why did they think she had taken a western name and embarrase her ?

The reply was, it was easier for them to remember a western name and to pronounce it and spell it.

I told them she has a name and proud of it, learn it or at least try to say it correctly. How rude some people are.

All Immigration documents ask have you been know as another name, why confuse things and make life harder, the process is hard enough. But up to you.
I can understand your response if they were being smart asses but they may have been genuine in their request. I wouldn't blow it up but I understand your defensive position.

·
Super Moderator
2,110 Posts
My partner has a Russian name and we have been communicating using the English translation of her first name. A few times I have used her English first name translation in our PMV 300 application regarding a short story of our relationship. This made me think a pedantic Case Officer may blow it up. :eek:

Anyway, my question is have any migrants with a non English background changed their name to an English translation or new name and was it a drama? Current documents such as Drivers Licence, Passport and Bank Accounts would have to be changed.
It is up to you, 2 of my grandparents changed their names to the English, equivalent, my wife though Asian, already had an English name, my son in law's Vietnamese mother uses her real name on documents, but an "English" name socially.
I use the name Steve all the time, my real name is Stephen, but a lot of people cant spell it!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.