Australia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, I'm new with a very specific question.

My wife is applying for her visa. We were recently contacted by immigration saying they required some more documents, the main thing being Hong Kong police checks for both of us.

If anyone has ever tried to acquire a HK police check you'll know it's kind of an absurd process, at least compared to how easy it is in other countries.

Part of their requirement is we need to get our fingerprints taken and certified by local law enforcement, which in our case is in Spain (Andalucia to be exact). We were holding off on this because we figured we'd wait till we were notified, since processing times are currently long and these documents can expire and it's a bit of a pain to get done.

I've asked around and no one here seems to know how to do it. Google hasn't helped and I haven't been able to turn up much from government websites.

I was wondering if anyone here has dealt with this very specific problem? We've got 3 weeks to get it sorted.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi Guys, I'm new with a very specific question.

My wife is applying for her visa. We were recently contacted by immigration saying they required some more documents, the main thing being Hong Kong police checks for both of us.

If anyone has ever tried to acquire a HK police check you'll know it's kind of an absurd process, at least compared to how easy it is in other countries.

Part of their requirement is we need to get our fingerprints taken and certified by local law enforcement, which in our case is in Spain (Andalucia to be exact). We were holding off on this because we figured we'd wait till we were notified, since processing times are currently long and these documents can expire and it's a bit of a pain to get done.

I've asked around and no one here seems to know how to do it. Google hasn't helped and I haven't been able to turn up much from government websites.

I was wondering if anyone here has dealt with this very specific problem? We've got 3 weeks to get it sorted.
Absurd is an understatement, The entire HK process is like 20yrs behind everyone else. The Department should look into how absurd their process is and just stop requesting applicants obtain HK Police checks. Their system really is appalling.

We just went through the whole process of getting a CNCC Hong Kong Police check. Whats your question? How to get fingerprints from Spain or how to get the CNCC?

A1. Assuming you are in Spain, can't you ask your local authorities regarding fingerprints. If in Australia - you can get fingerprints done and most Australian Police stations. Just walk in with plenty of ID and about $32 bucks.

A2. CNCC https://www.police.gov.hk/ppp_en/11_useful_info/cert_no_crime_overseas.html

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Absurd is an understatement, The entire HK process is like 20yrs behind everyone else. The Department should look into how absurd their process is and just stop requesting applicants obtain HK Police checks. Their system really is appalling.

We just went through the whole process of getting a CNCC Hong Kong Police check. Whats your question? How to get fingerprints from Spain or how to get the CNCC?

A1. Assuming you are in Spain, can't you ask your local authorities regarding fingerprints. If in Australia - you can get fingerprints done and most Australian Police stations. Just walk in with plenty of ID and about $32 bucks.
Thanks. My main question is with regards to Spain. I've asked my asesor (kind of like an accountant/legal advisor) to help and he's called his friends in the police and come back to me.

The local police are saying I need a specific form from Hong Kong with the fingerprints box included on it. As far as I can tell this is wrong, and they should be able to provide me with certified fingerprints which I then send back to Hong Kong with a bunch of other forms I can download from the website.

I'm in a less popular part of Spain and I'm not sure they get many requests for this kind of thing. To be honest they and the foreigners office have been pretty incompetent with this stuff since I've got here.

EDIT: I found a blog post from an American guy saying he had to collect a document from the US embassy to take to the local police to get fingerprinted. If this is all true then it complicates things even further. We were given a deadline by the immigration office and we have to show evidence that we've applied within about two weeks. This just complicates it even further.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The local police are saying I need a specific form from Hong Kong with the fingerprints box included on it. As far as I can tell this is wrong, and they should be able to provide me with certified fingerprints which I then send back to Hong Kong with a bunch of other forms I can download from the website.

I'm in a less popular part of Spain and I'm not sure they get many requests for this kind of thing. To be honest they and the foreigners office have been pretty incompetent with this stuff since I've got here.

EDIT: I found a blog post from an American guy saying he had to collect a document from the US embassy to take to the local police to get fingerprinted. If this is all true then it complicates things even further. We were given a deadline by the immigration office and we have to show evidence that we've applied within about two weeks. This just complicates it even further.
1. No you don't need a specific form (this being the fingerprint card I assume). Hong Kong do not issue a fingerprint card. Their documentation actually says it is ok to use your local authority supplied one. As long as you have all the necessary fingerprints.

QHOTE from Hong Kong Police site: "Fingerprints taken on the fingerprint card provided by the local Police / law enforcement
agency / Consulate is accepted." see section g. - last sentence
https://www.police.gov.hk/info/doc/cert_no_crime/en/checklist_overseas_en.pdf

2. Take the above checklist with you and show the officer part g. This will help them understand what they need to do.

3. You can request an extension. I am sure the Department know Hong Kong police checks take 4 -6 weeks to process. We have only just sent all our documents to HK Police and have only 8 days left to supply it to meet the Departments RFI deadline however we have requested an extension.
We made sure we supplied a copy of our CNCC application and documentation stating how long the process is to get a CNCC to the Department as evidence we have applied. Our HK Police check Referral letter also states if we cannot meet the deadline than at least show evidence we have applied and request an extension.

Do all the above and you should be fine. Police don't know about immigration much we found also. The officer who did ours didn't have a clue what he was doing so we made sure we took the checklist and he completed what HK Police needed. You need to educate your local authorities/ Police sometimes. Never assume they know what they are doing cause truth is. Police are dumb hehe

GL :)

·
Registered
5,849 Posts
The FBI and other fingeprint forms can be downloaded.
Get a second copy of everything for your records and as a backup.
Use a reliable (trackable) international courier rather than a postal service.
Keep immigration informed about what you have done and what you are doing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies from everyone. 2 days ago I finally obtained the fingerprint form.

I'm going to write about my experience herein case someone in the future needs the information. Googling stuff and reading up on old forum posts has helped us in other parts of our application so here hopefully I can help out some future stranger facing the same problem we had.

Our initial problem was that none of the police agencies had an option to book an appointment to take the fingerprints. The local departments seemed completely ignorant of the process. We were in Almeria, where I doubt this situation comes up often (possibly never before), so your experience might differ in somewhere like Madrid or Barcelona.

In the end we used the services of an asesor, who fortunately was ex-police and still had a number of friends and contacts working in all levels of the police. You could also try a gestor, as this might be more in line with their specialty. A major problem seemed to be that Hong Kong wanted Spain to provide the blank document, and Spain expected Hong Kong to do it.

Even with our asesor's contacts, it still took about a month to organise, with lots of back and forth about what we needed and why we needed it. They were really reluctant to do it. In the end our guy came through and we were taken by his assistant to the local Policia Nacional HQ and went to their cientifica department (forensics, basically).

It turns out there absolutely is a Spanish fingerprint document, they were just holding out on us. The police even printed the document themselves, which was contrary to other information I had been given In the end the guys were friendly and it was a relatively painless experience.

But god damn was it an ordeal to get organised in the first place, much like my residency applications and renewals before it. A whole month of back and forth to organise a simple process and in the end we only got it done because we had a guy who was tight with another guy in the right position. So typically Spanish.

So, my advice for anyone stuck in the same situation we were is this: find an asesor or gestor who has a solid contact in the National Police. That's basically it. If they tell you it's not really possible, you now know it absolutely is. If they tell you that you need a fingerprint document from Hong Kong, tell them that no the Spanish police can provide it.

I'll post an image of the form just as soon as my newbie ban on posting links is lifted, just in case they don't believe it exists.

And here it is (with authentic spelling errors!):

1 - 6 of 6 Posts