Australia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I am looking for guidance for my parent's permanent visas.

Currently, my parents are in Australia on a Visitor visa with me for nearly two years, initially 12 months which was extended due to covid situation.

My understanding is, there are primarily two visa options that suit us 864 or 143.

Since they are already in Australia, I prefer 864 over 143.

I have a few questions which I am not sure if my understanding is correct so would really appreciate some guidance from people.

1. If we apply for 864 then will my parents be eligible for medicare straight away? By straight away, I mean after we have applied and their application is 'in progress' state.

2. If the answer to medicare is 'YES' - then does it mean they are entitled to the 'same' level of medicare that a permanent resident or Australian citizen has OR there are different considerations?

3. If answer to Q1 is 'NO' then when does medicare start?

4. After they have applied for 864, can they still travel back to their home country and come back to Australia while their 864 is 'in progress'? OR they cannot leave Australia. As I read, we need to apply for a bridging visa A for them to remain in Australia while their 864 is 'in progress but if they wish to travel outside of Australia / come back then they need to further apply for a bridge visa B.

5. If the answer to Q4 is 'YES' my understanding is correct - then, Is it straightforward or complex to apply for Bridge visa A & then B , and once again what are the medicare considerations. \\

6. Final, which I reckon, not straightforward, what are the timelines, for 864, bridge A and Bridge B? Approx timeline wil do.

Many thanks

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
1. If we apply for 864 then will my parents be eligible for medicare straight away? By straight away, I mean after we have applied and their application is 'in progress' state.

You can apply for Medicare only after the visa is granted.

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
6. Final, which I reckon, not straightforward, what are the timelines, for 864, bridge A and Bridge B? Approx timeline wil do.

Many thanks
No current times are being shown, but in September last year, they were saying at least 58 months for Contributory Parent visas.

One website was quoting that in early 2021 they began looking at early 2018 lodgements for subclass 864.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No current times are being shown, but in September last year, they were saying at least 58 months for Contributory Parent visas.

One website was quoting that in early 2021 they began looking at early 2018 lodgements for subclass 864.
Would you know generally for how long the bridging visa B is given for ? Assume, 864 is in progress, BVA and BVB is applied, person goes out to Australia and unable to return before BVB expire (end date). Then how can they come back to Australia again ?

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
Would you know generally for how long the bridging visa B is given for ? Assume, 864 is in progress, BVA and BVB is applied, person goes out to Australia and unable to return before BVB expire (end date). Then how can they come back to Australia again ?
I know very little about bridging visas but I have just read that a BVB lasts 3 months, and if outside when it expires you need to wait for the visa to be granted before being able to return.

You should double check that though. Not everything on the Web is accurate.

·
Premium Member
1,068 Posts
Would you know generally for how long the bridging visa B is given for ?
You can ask for what you need. Up to 12 months was not historically uncommon pre covid.
Assume, 864 is in progress, BVA and BVB is applied, person goes out to Australia and unable to return before BVB expire (end date). Then how can they come back to Australia again ?
They will need a new visa granted ... for instance a visitor visa.

·
Registered
9 Posts
for Option3: You can apply for Medicare once you have received the Bridging visa for your PR visa pathway. We did the same

·
Registered
5 Posts
for Option3: You can apply for Medicare once you have received the Bridging visa for your PR visa pathway. We did the same
Hi

I am looking for guidance for my parent's permanent visas.

Currently, my parents are in Australia on a Visitor visa with me for nearly two years, initially 12 months which was extended due to covid situation.

My understanding is, there are primarily two visa options that suit us 864 or 143.

Since they are already in Australia, I prefer 864 over 143.

I have a few questions which I am not sure if my understanding is correct so would really appreciate some guidance from people.

2. If the answer to medicare is 'YES' - then does it mean they are entitled to the 'same' level of medicare that a permanent resident or Australian citizen has OR there are different considerations?

4. After they have applied for 864, can they still travel back to their home country and come back to Australia while their 864 is 'in progress'? OR they cannot leave Australia. As I read, we need to apply for a bridging visa A for them to remain in Australia while their 864 is 'in progress but if they wish to travel outside of Australia / come back then they need to further apply for a bridge visa B.

5. If the answer to Q4 is 'YES' my understanding is correct - then, Is it straightforward or complex to apply for Bridge visa A & then B , and once again what are the medicare considerations. \\

Many thanks
Hope this helps : A contributory parent Visa (143) is currently take around 11 years to process … yes 11 years ! … there is currently around 50,000 people in the queue with a cap of 3600 per quota year June-July… I have no knowledge of the 864 Visa.. just the 143.

good luck.

regards
Aaron

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
there is currently around 50,000 people in the queue with a cap of 3600 per quota year June-July…
Based on those numbers, it could be nearer 14 years by the time current applications are processed...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Based on those numbers, it could be nearer 14 years by the time current applications are processed...
it would be min or 11 years… but yes more likely up to 15 years and counting, however I understand the rejection rate has increased as due to the long wait personal situation can change.. the rejection rate will help the timescale a little.
Regards
Aaron

1 - 11 of 11 Posts