Australia Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all- I am in desperate need of advice!!
I lodged my 457 visa about 5 weeks ago through a not very helpful agent that our company works with. It has now been assigned a case manager so I assume we are close to an issuance however I have run into a problem I was hoping to get your insight into. I lodged the application with a passport that was stolen last week. Because I am supposed to be traveling to Australia the moment the visa comes through, I went to the US passport agency and got a new one expedited. It didn't occur to me that I may be stopped at the gate as my visa application will have the stolen passport number attached to it. I am desperate not to hold up the process any longer and I don't have a lot of faith in the agent I have been working with-she isn't really communicative. So my question to you is: what do it do? Will the visa show my old passport number and will it flag me at the gate? Should I tell my immigration agent now or should I wait until it's issued and can she quickly change it on the visa paperwork? I will be the most greatly indebted for for advice!!! Thanks so much.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Yes the visa will be attached to your old passport and you will get stopped at the airport. You need to tell your agent and then supply them with a copy of the new passport when received. They (should) take care of the rest.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks....and...

Adam,
Thanks for your response. Another question if you don't mind... If the visa comes through this week, my company will book a ticket for Sunday (US). I get my new passport on Friday (US) - AUS Saturday. Is there any other way to get through the gates as I doubt that immigration will be open to process the new passport over the weekend. Is it possible to bring my birth certificate, phtot ID and picture of my old passport? Will anything else suffice or am I, as we say her in the states, SOL ;)??

·
Registered
509 Posts
Yeah they will not process anything over the weekend.

If that happens and you do have to travel then take as much supporting evidence as you can including the visa grant notice. Everything is electronically linked to the passport number so your new passport will show no visa at all.

This is why you need to inform your agent ASAP, it's a lot easier to get things changed quickly prior to a visa decision than it is do it after.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.