Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,
I have been following this forum for a while and appreciate the available shares by everyone.

Moderators please forgive me if I broke any rules by posting it here.

And this is my query about 2-year Australia study. I am planning to apply for 189 visa but confused about 5 points for 2-year Australian education. All of my listed awards are earned in Australia and delivered and assessed in English.

Firstly, I have a Master degree with registered CRICOS of 104 weeks from 20 July 2015 to 13 January 2017. My Master award stated that the course is equal to 96 units and 2-year study. I received the exemption of 24 units towards my previous bachelor degree in my home country. I am required to finish the degree by 60 units and are equal to 60/96*104= 65 weeks.

Secondly, from 11 July 2016 to 23 December 2016 (my last semester with Master degree), I earned the Diploma of Interpreting with registered CRICOS of 30 weeks.

So my study is 95 weeks in total and some agents said I can claim 5 points as satisfying the below requirements:
be registered through the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Course for Overseas Students (CRICOS)
have been completed in a total of at least 16 calendar months
have been completed as a result of at least two academic years of study
have given all instruction in English
have been completed while you were physically in Australia
have been completed while you held a visa authorising you to study in Australia.

But some said no due to the extended breakdown here
homeaffairs.gov.au/Trav/Work/Work/Allocation-dates-for-General-Skilled-Migration-applications/2-year-study#study

If you fall short of the 92 weeks of study due to exemptions you have received, you have several options to meet the Australian study requirement. Options could include:

have the university rescind the exemptions so you must now successfully complete these subjects to be awarded your qualification
complete additional units that are at the same level as the exempted units (or higher) and which are accepted by the university as award units for the qualification, such as an elective unit.
Note: If the education provider specifies the units as 'Non-Award' units, then these units will not be able to count towards meeting the Australian study requirement. Also the additional units would need to be of sufficient registered CRICOS duration to take you to a total of 92 weeks of registered study.
Also note: The academic transcript should indicate that the elective is contributing towards the award of the degree for this unit to be counted towards meeting the Australian study requirement to ensure that there is no doubt about the electives being part of the award of the qualification
complete an additional qualification that is closely related to the occupation you nominate on your General Skilled Migration application. This additional qualification must be of sufficient CRICOS registered duration to make up for the exempted units from the students course(s).'

But I study the two different courses even the two courses are really beneficial to each other in my field.

So, am I eligible to claim 5 points for 2-year Australia study for visa 189 and 190?
Thank you for any suggestions!

Best regards,
Hong

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Hong,

You need to talk to an experienced Australian Registered Migration Agent to find out whether you meet the Australian study requirement. I suggest that you do that.
Thank you very much! Can you suggest credible MARA consultants because I asked the questions to some agents but their answers were different? Thank you again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.