Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I am from Pakistan and I've applied for an SVP Sub-Class 573 (Student) Visa. Here's my timeline:

Lodged the application: 7th June, 2014.
Acknowledgement: 10th June, 2014.
Biometric: 13th June, 2014.
Medical: 13th June, 2014.
Medical received by DIAC: 16th June, 2014.

I applied for Bachelors of Engineering (Software) from Griffith University, Brisbane. Orientation week would start on 21st of July and Commencement of classes by 28th of July (can get an extension of 10 days - Upto 8th August).

No response since then, and I've applied through a consultant. The university called me yesterday asking why haven't you arrived yet.

So, I wanted to ask if I should contact DIAC and enquire about my case or is it a bad idea ?

Thank You !

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Hi, there is not problem if you call the Adelaide Student Visa section and inquire about the status of your visa application. It might hurry them up a bit. It certainly will not affect the processing of your application.

Regards

·
Premium Member
9,033 Posts
Unfortunately it looks like you might have just left it too long. I believe Mark Northam on this forum has been saying these applications are taking up to three months at the moment - you can search his thread at the top of the forum for "SVP" to see how long it's taking.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unfortunately it looks like you might have just left it too long. I believe Mark Northam on this forum has been saying these applications are taking up to three months at the moment - you can search his thread at the top of the forum for "SVP" to see how long it's taking.
Yeah, but with extension they'd have 2 months and it's not like every case takes up-to 3 months. I just hope to get it in a week or two because I don't want to waste 6 months for the visa :/ Another thing I wanted to ask is that what is the University's role in the visa processing since the process is streamlined ?

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Essentially, the university is taking some of the risk that you may overstay your visa, or that you are coming to Australia to work and not study, or that you will run out of money while you are in Australia. Pakistan is considered a high risk country because many students from Pakistan overstay their visas or don't study when they get here. If it were not for SVP you would be considered Assessment Level 3. This has connotations for how much money that you must show and who can provide that money. With SVP you are considered Assessment Level 1, and you do not have to proved so much evidence of your financial capacity. The university is absorbing that the risk.

Regards

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Essentially, the university is taking some of the risk that you may overstay your visa, or that you are coming to Australia to work and not study, or that you will run out of money while you are in Australia. Pakistan is considered a high risk country because many students from Pakistan overstay their visas or don't study when they get here. If it were not for SVP you would be considered Assessment Level 3. This has connotations for how much money that you must show and who can provide that money. With SVP you are considered Assessment Level 1, and you do not have to proved so much evidence of your financial capacity. The university is absorbing that the risk.

Regards
Thanks a lot for the explanation. What you said about Pakistan is absolutely true, but if a high risk country is assigned Assessment Level 1 under SVP then wouldn't it defies the purpose of assessment levels at all ? I mean who can't get a COE these days ? And I've seen many students in Pakistan who are granted the visa with in a week of their lodgement. I just don't understand the mindset.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.