Australia Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I have recently (a month ago) lodged my application to be able to migrate to Australia with my partner and my son, who both are Australian citizens. I was somewhat chocked by the processing times, I must admit.

In hindsight I maybe should have considered applying for a 820 visa instead. It seems I can't enter the country as it is without risking losing my 309, according to the immi-official I spoke with today.

Well, anyways, It's good to get input from and learn about others experiences so I think I will very much appreciate this forum.

Magnus

·
Registered
6,426 Posts
It seems I can't enter the country as it is without risking losing my 309, according to the immi-official I spoke with today.
Quite a few people get a visitor visa after applying for an offshore partner visa.

I can't see why it would risk the 309. Unless you overstayed the visitor visa.

We were granted a 12 month visitor visa after applying for the PMV.

Immigration then tell the applicant to leave when they are ready to give the 309/300 decision.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is interesting, considering that the immi-official I spoke with today said that advice against that due to the risk of the latest decided visa is the one in affect. The person didn't say it was impossible but did stress it being a risk, the risk being if in the country while getting notified about the decision on the 309 they might just let me keep my visitors visa instead... or something like that. Obviously I would leave the country when required, that was the plan, but they advised not going there at all.

But your experience tells a different story, which makes me glad!

·
Registered
6,426 Posts
That is interesting, considering that the immi-official I spoke with today said that advice against that due to the risk of the latest decided visa is the one in affect. The person didn't say it was impossible but did stress it being a risk, the risk being if in the country while getting notified about the decision on the 309 they might just let me keep my visitors visa instead... or something like that. Obviously I would leave the country when required, that was the plan, but they advised not going there at all.

But your experience tells a different story, which makes me glad!
Where was that 'immi-official' based?
People getting the visitor visa, after applying for a partner visa, does seem reasonably common from what I have seen.

That "latest decided visa" bit does apply to some visas, but from what I read, only to decided visas. So, applying for a visitor visa after the partner visa was granted, might cause that problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where was that 'immi-official' based?
People getting the visitor visa, after applying for a partner visa, does seem reasonably common from what I have seen.
I called the Department of Home Affairs and the person I spoke to said this.

·
Registered
6,426 Posts
I called the Department of Home Affairs and the person I spoke to said this.
Not everyone at Immigration appear to know the rules 100%

I came across this Department of Home Affairs page earlier.

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/ent...isa/travel-while-your-visa-is-being-processed

Travel while your visa is being processed

You can apply for a visitor visa to come to Australia while you are waiting on an application outcome so long as the temporary visa matches your intentions.

If you are waiting for the decision on a substantive or permanent visa and want to visit Australia to see a partner or holiday you can.

Reactions: MuntinMia

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, after having talked to another person at the Department my current information status is that I am allowed to visit Australia (ofc.) while the 309 is being processed, but that it is up to the case team to inform me in advance when they are about to make a decision. There are no guarantees they will do this; it is up to "the discretion of the case team". Regarding the bridging visas they are generally for when applying from inside Australia on a temporary visa, the person on the phone said.

I think the worst case would be me being inside Australia on a visitors visa of some kind while the decision about the 309 is being made and not getting a heas-up, and that leading to the 309 regarded as void. In that case I should be able to apply for an 820 and a bridging visa, hopefully getting the latter before the visitors visa expires. But this is hypothetical I guess.

My new line of thought is that it might be possible to go to Australia and have the 309 application changed to an 820 and pay the extra AU$1000. But that doesn't seem like a solid option.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Now an agent messaged me back and said that they usually get their applications through within 6-8 months and that I could apply for a subclass 600 giving me 12 months to stay while waiting. Why wouldn't the people at Home Affairs say that?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Magnus, we could spare all these discussion, speculations and incertitudes if Immigration would process visas efficiently. You said that you were shocked about the processing time which I guess you read as 12 to 16 months. Does anyone know why we have this long processing time, other than immigration waiting that you split up or withdraw the request for some reason and then pocketing the hefty visa fees which would be quite illegal in other countries (asking and keeping money without having done any work). Magnus, what is the processing time and visa fee in your country if your Australian partner would wish to move to Sweden? It would be very interesting if we could learn in this forum the processing time for a partner/marriage visa of the countries you readers are coming from??. In Argentina the visa cost US$250 and processing time is about 3 months. Does anyone know any other country like Australia that the process goes through internet direct to Immigration and not through a Consulate? Regards mounteverest

·
Registered
6,426 Posts
Does anyone know why we have this long processing time,
One possibility is due to the numbers of applications exceeding the available grants.

Some are done very quickly, which indicates that applications that are 100% complete with perfect proofs etc, might get processed first.

·
Registered
6,426 Posts
Does anyone know any other country like Australia that the process goes through internet direct to Immigration and not through a Consulate? Regards mounteverest
Ours, although submitted via the internet, was still processed at the local Embassy. Figures show most are processed by the local embassy, which also might affect processing times in some countries.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Hi all,
New to this forum and it’s been insightful - so thank you. Has anyone here applied via an agent offshore?
I feel most have directly applied via the immi website alone. Could this maybe be a contributing factor to some long delays?
My fiancé and I, applied in April 2019 via an immigration officer in Lebanon. He got a request for biometrics (almost instantly) which is apparently normal practice and then the immigration officer requested him to get his medical done in June.
Could it be the immigration requested for his medics to be done or our immigration officer himself has requested it? We haven’t had further documentation requested but I’m confident we’ve sent through more information than necessary for it to be assessed as ‘complete’.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ours, although submitted via the internet, was still processed at the local Embassy. Figures show most are processed by the local embassy, which also might affect processing times in some countries.
You are actually right JandE that visas are still processed in so called processing centres that are not necessarily located in the Embassy of your country or your area but I think (anyone please correct me if they know otherwise) application can only be made by online (by internet) now and no longer be lodged at your Consulate (the consulate in charge of your country if there is no Austrlaian consulate where you live) regards mounteverest

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi all,
New to this forum and it's been insightful - so thank you. Has anyone here applied via an agent offshore?
I feel most have directly applied via the immi website alone. Could this maybe be a contributing factor to some long delays?
My fiancé and I, applied in April 2019 via an immigration officer in Lebanon.
Agent and immigration officer - same? or you mean different people?

·
Registered
5 Posts
One possibility is due to the numbers of applications exceeding the available grants.

Some are done very quickly, which indicates that applications that are 100% complete with perfect proofs etc, might get processed first.
Hi JandE, you surprise me that some are done very quickly when it said that processing time is 12-16 months. All our papers were in order and we heard from CO after 13 months for the first time and were advised that the police check was valid 12 months only and had therefore expired (no wonder it expired if they wait that long!!!) Can someone confirm to me that they got the visa much quicker than the processing time stated in the webpage.(I understand there is no priority processing like with AAT) but ministerial internvention might help although I doubt it!!!! regards mounteverest

·
Registered
6,426 Posts
Hi JandE, you surprise me that some are done very quickly when it said that processing time is 12-16 months. All our papers were in order and we heard from CO after 13 months for the first time and were advised that the police check was valid 12 months only and had therefore expired (no wonder it expired if they wait that long!!!) Can someone confirm to me that they got the visa much quicker than the processing time stated in the webpage.(I understand there is no priority processing like with AAT) but ministerial internvention might help although I doubt it!!!! regards mounteverest
When you say 12-16 months, I assume they were the times when you applied.

Immigration are not very clear when they quote those times, when they actually meant that 75% of the previous months grants took under 12 months and 10% took 16 months or more.

Current times are longer, with the June 309 grants being:
75% processed in 15 months ir less. (May was 14 months)
10% processed in over 20 months. (May was 19 months).
Some examples of actual June 2019 Subclass 309 Grants.

Granted after 4 months from UK
Granted after 5 months from UK
Granted after 5 months from Turkey
Granted after 6.6 months from UK
Granted after 8.2 months from Canada
Granted after 8.3 months from Lebanon
Granted after 8.4 months from Lebanon
Granted after 8.7 months from Lebanon
Granted after 8.8 months from UK
Refused after 9.4 months from Lebanon
Granted after 9.7 months from Canada
Granted after 11.4 months from Uganda
Granted after 14.8 months from USA
Granted after 14.9 months from Germany
These were all included in the 75% processed in under 15 months.

Some embassies do seem to work faster than others at times, with the processing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts