Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have on 17 March applied online for my baby’s citizenship but haven’t heard anything from immigration/home affairs. Would anyone be able to guide me how long this would take as we require his passport to travel in mid April. I tried calling them but they mentioned we wouldn’t be able to assist you. I’m based in Melbourne.

·
Registered
33 Posts
If baby was born in Australia all you do is register their birth through bdm in Victoria. If one parent is a citizen thru get it automatically. Once birth certificate is received you take that along with both of your passports and a couple of forms and apply for passport. When is the travel? Birth cert can take a couple of months to process.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If baby was born in Australia all you do is register their birth through bdm in Victoria. If one parent is a citizen thru get it automatically. Once birth certificate is received you take that along with both of your passports and a couple of forms and apply for passport. When is the travel? Birth cert can take a couple of months to process.
Thanks Lena. Both parents are PR holders and not citizens. Birth has been registered with BDM. Applied online for citizenship after registration of birth was done on 15th March

·
Super Moderator
5,266 Posts
If the parents are PR holders and the child was born in Australia, then you don't need to apply for citizenship. The child would be a citizen automatically. Do you mean you've applied for proof of their citizenship?

·
Registered
5,950 Posts
To get a passport for the child you will need evidence that at least one parent was an Australian citizen or PR at the time of birth. For evidence of resident status use from 164.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.