·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
"CITIZENSHIP

Subject to the passage of legislation in the new year, the new citizenship requirements will come into effect on July 2018. Accroding to the Home Affairs department, they will include:

*Increasing the general residence requirement, which means applicants for Australian citizenship will need to have a minimum of four years permanent residence immediately prior to their application for citizenship with no more than one year spent outside Australia during that period."

7-8 years from the start of the partner proces to being citizenship eligable is a joke.

Sigh. They should count "provisional residents" as permanent residents for the purpose of this test....

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
"CITIZENSHIP

Subject to the passage of legislation in the new year, the new citizenship requirements will come into effect on July 2018. Accroding to the Home Affairs department, they will include:

*Increasing the general residence requirement, which means applicants for Australian citizenship will need to have a minimum of four years permanent residence immediately prior to their application for citizenship with no more than one year spent outside Australia during that period."

7-8 years from the start of the partner proces to being citizenship eligable is a joke.

Sigh. They should count "provisional residents" as permanent residents for the purpose of this test....
I fully plan on being a citizen, even with this news, but damn, 7-8 years? That's crazy.

Reactions: HRose313

·
Registered
258 Posts
Time to encourage my partner to write ANOTHER email to his MP to please review those changes...

Being Canadian isn't all that bad, but not counting partners time from when they arrive (or get apply for an 820 at the very least) is insane.

ALSO LOL at being Canadian and having to take an English test. I still hope there is some reason in the parliament and they go for a more Canadian system which exempts those who complete 2 years of high school or a bachelors degree in English (or have an Australia/American/NZ/Irish/Singapore maybe? Passports...). I promise, I speak great English, Italian, and Portuguese...

Reactions: HRose313

·
Super Moderator
5,266 Posts
ALSO LOL at being Canadian and having to take an English test. I still hope there is some reason in the parliament and they go for a more Canadian system which exempts those who complete 2 years of high school or a bachelors degree in English (or have an Australia/American/NZ/Irish/Singapore maybe? Passports...). I promise, I speak great English, Italian, and Portuguese...
Typically Canadian passport holders would be exempt from any English requirement which, if you ever visit anywhere in Quebec other than Montreal, makes you wonder why that would be. Not that I'm complaining though, since it was one less thing I needed to worry about with my visa applications.

·
Premium Member
11,215 Posts
It will be interesting to what changes they make to get through. NXT for sure will not vote yes whilst the proposed changes give lots of power to Peter Dutton/immigration minister.

I think we will have more of an idea when parliament resumes to who we need to be emailing ie. Deciding votes or Labor/Greens.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
On that note when the time comes if anyone can guide us completely out of political whack people (namely me) in who I should be badgering it would be greatly appreciated.

Perhaps a how to guide on each MP's messaging requirements, or even better a list of personal email addresses/ addresses we can just send in an envelope/single email :D

·
Premium Member
11,215 Posts
It is usually better to send the emails individually addessed.

Also talking about your individual circumstances are good too. So for example explain your time line and how long you will be in Australia before you can apply for citizenship. Then you can ask a question like ... how does someone who arrive as a permnanent visa migrate better into Australia better than someone who has an Australian spouse, family members and living in Australia longer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.