Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m a new member and could really do with some advice on applying for an offshore partner visa. My husband is Australian and I’m British and we married in 2007 and have 3 children. We are currently living in the UK but have always talked about going to Australia to live and have recently decided that the time is right (at least within the next year or 2). I’ve started filling in the citizenship forms for our 3 children, which seem pretty straightforward, and have now looked into a visa for myself. Firstly, I had no idea how much it would cost, and secondly, how detailed the application is!! Have any of you completed the process by yourselves or is it better to enlist the help of a migration agent? I’m feeling a bit daunted by it all and naively assumed that because we’ve been married so long and have 3 children, the process would be fairly simple. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I'm a new member and could really do with some advice on applying for an offshore partner visa. My husband is Australian and I'm British and we married in 2007 and have 3 children. We are currently living in the UK but have always talked about going to Australia to live and have recently decided that the time is right (at least within the next year or 2). I've started filling in the citizenship forms for our 3 children, which seem pretty straightforward, and have now looked into a visa for myself. Firstly, I had no idea how much it would cost, and secondly, how detailed the application is!! Have any of you completed the process by yourselves or is it better to enlist the help of a migration agent? I'm feeling a bit daunted by it all and naively assumed that because we've been married so long and have 3 children, the process would be fairly simple. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
There are quite a few people here who have done the application on their own. It's just a matter of organizing yourself and asking questions on a place like this when needed.

If you feel more comfortable speaking with a RMA, then that is the road you should travel. It may cost a little more money but it can give you some piece of mind.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi there,

We submitted an offshore last June and are waiting to hear back. We did it ourselves - took a few nights of research and a couple of weekends to pull everything together but it wasn't too bad. We followed the steps in the Partner Migration Booklet, and used google and this forum to answer one-off questions. I also found a couple of helpful tips/guides on blogs which I bookmarked: not sure if ok to link but if you google "halftheclothes visa application tips" and "partnervisa820uploadguide" they should come up. But of course the official booklet trumps anything you read on blogs.

I think part of it is how detail-oriented you are and how familiar/comfortable you are with paperwork. I do a lot of detailed paperwork in my job so it didn't feel like too big of a deal to me.

Cheers!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks both for the reply and thanks very much for the useful blog links...I’ll take a look at them. Do you think it would be worthwhile applying for the children’s citizenship first and then lodging an application for my visa once they have their citizenship confirmed? I guess my main concern is that I want to be over in Australia in time for our eldest to start high school (so we need to be over for January 2020). Looking at the processing times I’m wondering whether we ought to apply for all of them at a similar time.

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
Thanks both for the reply and thanks very much for the useful blog links...I'll take a look at them. Do you think it would be worthwhile applying for the children's citizenship first and then lodging an application for my visa once they have their citizenship confirmed? I guess my main concern is that I want to be over in Australia in time for our eldest to start high school (so we need to be over for January 2020). Looking at the processing times I'm wondering whether we ought to apply for all of them at a similar time.
Definitely get citizenship for the children first. You don't want the hassle and expense of including them in a partner visa application.

As others have said, if you are comfortable with doing your own research and are good with paperwork, electronic applications and have have sufficient time to deal with it all, you could consider doing it yourself.

If you want a guiding hand and outsource all dealings with the Department of Home Affairs to a professional, find yourself a registered migration agent.

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
I'm a new member and could really do with some advice on applying for an offshore partner visa. My husband is Australian and I'm British and we married in 2007 and have 3 children. We are currently living in the UK but have always talked about going to Australia to live and have recently decided that the time is right (at least within the next year or 2). I've started filling in the citizenship forms for our 3 children, which seem pretty straightforward, and have now looked into a visa for myself. Firstly, I had no idea how much it would cost, and secondly, how detailed the application is!! Have any of you completed the process by yourselves or is it better to enlist the help of a migration agent? I'm feeling a bit daunted by it all and naively assumed that because we've been married so long and have 3 children, the process would be fairly simple. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
Being married for 10 years with 3 (Australian) children, it should be relatively easy for you, unless you really hate filling in forms.. !!

I have personally done my wife's 300 (PMV) and the 820 (Temporary Partner) with the 801 Permanent Partner to be done soon.
If I had oodls of spare cash I would use one of the agents that reply on here, purely to try and avoid the frustration, even though I know I can do the applications. I even did my own UK to Aus one, many years ago.

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
Being married for 10 years with 3 (Australian) children, it should be relatively easy for you, unless you really hate filling in forms.. !!

I have personally done my wife's 300 (PMV) and the 820 (Temporary Partner) with the 801 Permanent Partner to be done soon.
If I had oodls of spare cash I would use one of the agents that reply on here, purely to try and avoid the frustration, even though I know I can do the applications. I even did my own UK to Aus one, many years ago.
It's like with so many things in life. I used to always service my own car, but now only get it done by a mechanic.

I used to do all my own home maintenance and still do a fair bit myself, but leave other things to a professional, although I am perfectly capable of doing it myself.

I can do my own tax returns, but always use an accountant who saves me time and money.

In the end, it is a matter of choice, knowledge and acceptance of your own capabilities and the availability of time and money.

Reactions: JandE

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again for the replies...really appreciate it. I’ve decided that I’ll definitely do the kids citizenship first to make life a little easier. The processing times don’t look too bad and considering we’re not actually looking to move out until the end of next year we should be fine.

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
Thanks again for the replies...really appreciate it. I've decided that I'll definitely do the kids citizenship first to make life a little easier. The processing times don't look too bad and considering we're not actually looking to move out until the end of next year we should be fine.
There is one thing I did regret, in some ways, and that was not getting the first application run past an immigration agent before lodging it, just to give it a quick check over.
I think I heard that some here charge around $200-300 for that. It would have saved me those months of worrying if I had made any stupid mistakes, and lose the application fee, with a rejection.. (And for anyone not having done a Partner Visa, those months are worrying, with a lot of stress.)

You can always check with CCMS, above, for actual costs of that, at the time.

I didn't even think about it at the time, as I only joined this forum 3 weeks AFTER lodging the application. Fortunately I got the application right and it was approved.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.