Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to do a Notice of Intended Marriage for my prospective marriage visa, but I am away from my fiance and I want to apply before i see him again. I know that i can sign the Noim and then send it to my partner who will sign it with the celebrant, but do I need to sign it in front of someone too?, there's a space for a witness's name, should i sign it in front of a different, random celebrant? i could just go to my church, but i will be getting married in Australia, in my fiance's church, so that's the celebrant that will need to sign it. help please

·
Registered
40 Posts
I need to do a Notice of Intended Marriage for my prospective marriage visa, but I am away from my fiance and I want to apply before i see him again. I know that i can sign the Noim and then send it to my partner who will sign it with the celebrant, but do I need to sign it in front of someone too?, there's a space for a witness's name, should i sign it in front of a different, random celebrant? i could just go to my church, but i will be getting married in Australia, in my fiance's church, so that's the celebrant that will need to sign it. help please
Hi Rozyx
You do not need to sign the NOIM straight away. Your fiancé in Australia can organise the NOIM for you both through the celebrant and sign it. This can then be attached to your application. You just need to ensure that you have signed it before your wedding takes place. There is only the need for the one signature to begin with.
Hope this helps!:)

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
I signed it anyway. He emailed it to me, I printed it out, took it to a notary in the states, then sent it back for him to turn in.

The registry office didn't really count it though until I brought my identity stuff in and signed in person. But it was accepted by immi.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I signed it anyway. He emailed it to me, I printed it out, took it to a notary in the states, then sent it back for him to turn in.

The registry office didn't really count it though until I brought my identity stuff in and signed in person. But it was accepted by immi.
So I can take it to a notary, sign it then send it to him by post and get him to sign in front of a celebrant and then use in my application for PMV, I'm so relieved, thank you sooooo much :)

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
But hey, if you don't need to sign it at all as Tassiegirl said, no need to go through all the trouble.

We did ours in WA and were under the impression I needed to sign. We could have been wrong!

·
Registered
391 Posts
i know, but i want to sign it
there's no point you signing it because an Australian Justice of the Peace needs to witness it so unless you want to go to an embassy it won't be valid. As has already been said it can be submitted to both DIBP and the celebrant with only one signature. I know this because I didn't have mine witnessed properly and ended up having to apply to the marriage registrar in my state for a special approval to get legally married. I got the approval two days before my wedding it was really stressful.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
did you have to go in person before you applied for PMV or partner visa? i can go to Australia next year March but i want to apply before that
And no, I went in after my 300 had been granted. We needed an appt for the interview, then another appt for the marriage.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Does a NOIM need to be filed with application for PMV if the wedding will take place in America after the PMV has been granted and obligations have been met?

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Does a NOIM need to be filed with application for PMV if the wedding will take place in America after the PMV has been granted and obligations have been met?
It doesn't need to be a NOIM specifically. A letter from a celebrant can be used as well.

Don't forget to make first entry to Oz after the grant and before marrying.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ok thank you. The request received is to "Provide a letter from an authorised marriage celebrant and confirmation that a Notice of Intended Marriage has been lodged with the celebrant."
It does not specifically ask that a NOIM form be submitted to Immi. Because the NOIM form is an Australian document I'm just unsure if it has any purpose if the marriage is held in USA. I'm wondering if we fill it out and give it to the celebrant here in America and then he writes a letter confirming that he will perform the marriage on the specified date at the specified location, if that would be sufficient. Or do we just not use it at all.
And yes, a quick trip to OZ is planned after the visa is granted and before the marriage in America takes place. :)

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
That should be sufficient. You can marry anywhere in the world so a similar form or proof from the country you will legally marry in should be enough. There should be a similar application to the NOIM in the states with thr court, maybe the celebrant does it for you. Something that shows you legally intend to marry.

·
Registered
6,936 Posts
That should be sufficient. You can marry anywhere in the world so a similar form or proof from the country you will legally marry in should be enough. There should be a similar application to the NOIM in the states with thr court, maybe the celebrant does it for you. Something that shows you legally intend to marry.
I was curious and looked it up on a US embassy site, and saw this:
A Notice of Intent to Marry must be submitted three weeks (21 days) in advance of the marriage.​
And here is one from MA, USA. boxford.ma.us/.../marintent.pdf
Quite similar.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.