Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My partner and I are applying for a prospective marriage visa. We're both currently abroad and sending in our NOIM from overseas. We're in a country that does not have an Australian embassy and noticed we could get our NOIM signed by a notary public. Do they have to be related to the commonwealth in any way, we're currently in Guatemala, and just want to check a notary public here, say a lawyer, would still be valid.

Thank you!

Emilie

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
I think you will find that the NOIM only needs to be signed by the Marriage Celebrant - and you upload a colour scan of that.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Hey Emilie,

I had the exact same issue last year when applying for my PMV 300. I, the Australian sponsor, was living in Canada at the time and my fiancé is in Germany.

I got the NOIM witnessed by a notary public in Canada and it was totally fine for the celebrant in Australia and immi. I had to send it by post however to the celebrant, which was annoying. But it was the BDM in Melbourne so I guess they have certain policies.

·
Registered
29 Posts
"if a party signs the Notice outside Australia—an Australian Consular Officer, an Australian Diplomatic Officer, a notary public, an employee
of the Commonwealth authorised under paragraph 3(c) of the Consular Fees Act 1955, or an employee of the Australian Trade Commission
authorised under paragraph 3(d) of the Consular Fees Act 1955."

I'd say any notary public in Guatemala will do.

Just to note not all lawyers are notary publics. The form explicitly mentions only notary publics, or the officers of the respective Australian agencies as mentioned.

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
Hi all,

My partner and I are applying for a prospective marriage visa. We're both currently abroad and sending in our NOIM from overseas. We're in a country that does not have an Australian embassy and noticed we could get our NOIM signed by a notary public. Do they have to be related to the commonwealth in any way, we're currently in Guatemala, and just want to check a notary public here, say a lawyer, would still be valid.

Thank you!

Emilie
Yes, it will be. We did ours at a Notary Public in the Philippines, where they witnessed the signatures.

if a party signs the Notice outside Australia-an Australian Consular Officer, an Australian Diplomatic Officer, a notary public, an employee of the Commonwealth authorised under paragraph 3(c) of the Consular Fees Act 1955, or an employee of the Australian Trade Commission authorised under paragraph 3(d) of the Consular Fees Act 1955.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks

Thank you very much everyone! That's a huge relief. It definitely complicates things applying overseas. Did any of you by any chance do a medical examination before it was requested for your visa?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.