Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I recently submitted an EOI for a 189 visa, with 65 points, for the Engineering Technologist occupation (2339 - Other Engineering Professionals).

In the 4 October 2017 round, the cut-off for this occupation was 70 points with a "visa date of effect" (i.e. cut-off submission date) of 1 October 2017, so it looks likely that the points will drop to 65 in the near future. However, the last time anyone with 65 points was invited was 15 March 2017 with a submission date of 3 January 2017, so presumably there are a lot of people in the queue in front of me.

My occupation is on the list for my desired state, NSW. I understand that the 190 is effectively the same as the 189, except that you have to stay in the nominated state for the first 2 years, which isn't a problem for me.

I had an informal chat with a migration agent a month ago, and they said that there wouldn't be any point in applying for both the 189 & 190 visa, as there weren't/aren't many people receiving invites for the 190.

I didn't really question this further at the time, but I've since been thinking, what do I have to lose by also applying for the 190?

Best case scenario: I receive an invitation with the 190 before the 189, and can get a visa sooner.
Worst case scenario: I don't receive an invitation for the 190, but it hasn't cost me anything as you only pay the $300 NSW fee once you're invited to apply.

Therefore, I'm hoping to submit a separate EOI for the 190 visa, but I just wanted to see if anyone had any advice or comments before doing so...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.