Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

My ex girlfriend and I broke up about 1.5 years ago. This was quite a while after she received PR. We did not notify immigration about the break up because a) she had already received PR and b)it's the last thing you think about when you are going through a tragic break up. Furthermore my contact with the ex is minimal and slightly hostile. Anyway, I didn't learn from the past and am now in a relationship with another woman that isn't Australian and we are considering the partner visa or prospective marriage visa route. I'm concerned about 2 things. Me and my ex submitted and immi acknowledged receiving the application more than 5 years ago. I'm aware of the 5 year rule for sponsoring but I don't know when this 5 years starts? Does anyone know for sure? Also, my ex has applied for citizenship and I don't wanna do anything to jeopardize that even though I know that only break ups during temp residency matter. Any advice? What should I do? If immi receives a prospective marriage visa, i'm guessing it will be odd if I am still a ''sponsor'' for someone in the system. Can I simply call and say we broke up 1.5 years ago? Do we both need to call? What's the process?

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
Once your previous partner received her PR there was no need to notify the Department of the relationship breakdown by either of you.

The sponsorship limitation is 5 years from the date the previous application was lodged.

In the new application you will have to declare previous relationships and sponsorships, so nothing to worry about really.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Once your previous partner received her PR there was no need to notify the Department of the relationship breakdown by either of you.

The sponsorship limitation is 5 years from the date the previous application was lodged.

In the new application you will have to declare previous relationships and sponsorships, so nothing to worry about really.
OK. That's good news. So there is absolutely no point me or me ex calling and informing? Is there any official information about that on any gov website? Thanks for your reply.

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
OK. That's good news. So there is absolutely no point me or me ex calling and informing? Is there any official information about that on any gov website? Thanks for your reply.
No need to tell them, if your ex was a PR when the breakdown happened. Just provide the details in the new application. You won't find this information on any government website, unless you know how to read the Migration Act and the Migration Regulstions. Trust me, I'm a Registered Migration Agent.

Reactions: Ejona

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Think of the info on the government websites as a guide, it can be misleading and sometimes wrong.

A qualified migration agent working from the migration regulations is the onoy way to be confident of the regulations assuming you can't read them yourself, the one above has given you good quality advice for free - they usually charge for that service.

·
Registered
6,965 Posts
If immi receives a prospective marriage visa, i'm guessing it will be odd if I am still a ''sponsor'' for someone in the system. Can I simply call and say we broke up 1.5 years ago? Do we both need to call? What's the process?
On the PMV application they ask for a copy of divorce details. I am not sure what they ask for in relation to a defacto relationship.

I know that I didn't notify immigration about my first marriage, that gave PR to my ex wife, but after 20+ years, it wasn't something to even think about.

The PMV application asks all the details about the breakup, dates and reasons etc. You will provide all the details they need on that.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
On the PMV application they ask for a copy of divorce details. I am not sure what they ask for in relation to a defacto relationship.
My wife (sponsor) disclosed her previous de facto relationship on our 309 application.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.