Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

So here is the situation I have. My wife and I recently traveled from the United States to Australia. We loved it so much that we decided that we'd like to leave our lives in "Small Town USA" to pursue Permanent Residence in Australia.

When I arrived at home after my holiday in Australia, I started researching the processes required to begin applying for a Visa. After some quick looking, it looks like I need to apply as a Skilled Worker. I realize that whether or not I apply as an Independent Skilled Worker or one that is sponsored by an Australian employer depends on whether or not I find approval from an employer (perhaps via SkillSelect?).

I graduated with a Bachelors of Science in Computer Science in 2011. I have been working as a Software Developer for the same company since 2010 (part time 2010-2011 -- prior to graduating; full-time 2012-present). With this in mind, it would appear that I need to apply as a Skilled Worker and have a skills assessment performed by ACS (Australian Computer Society).

According to the ACS website (along with me e-mailing them directly), to take the skills assessment, you must provide proof of employment. The methods of providing said proof are:

- Certified Copies of Employment Documents (what ACS seems to prefer)
OR
- Statutory Declaration
OR
- Affidavit

The first method is the one that seems to be most preferred; it probably also yields the best results. My problem and entire point of this post is that obtaining certified copies of employment documents requires contacting Human Resources and requesting said documents. The documents describe my employment history with the company as well as my job description. It would seem to me that this would be a red flag to HR implying to them that I am looking for another job. What if I request the documents and then get denied Permanent Residence in Australia anyway. Now, I'm stuck at a company that thinks I'm looking for another job (which technically I am, if I can move to Australia); this will most likely hurt my progression within said company, if I get stuck there.

From what I understand, the other two processes (Statutory Declaration or Affidavit) require either a legally signed statement from a supervisor and/or a notarized statement. I don't understand this approach as much and it seems a lot more complicate with less chance of approval.

What do you guys suggest? I thought about telling HR that I need the documents for approval for a home loan (for employment proof). I'm not even sure if that would make sense.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

·
Registered
334 Posts
A lot of people do not get official letters from their company HR with the complete job description. They get a letter from HR for home loan, credit card etc for proof of employment, a reference (notarized if in US) letter from supervisor, paystubs, appointment, confirmation and increment letters, W-2s and tax return documents. That should be enough for ACS and immigration. They just want comprehensive proof that you have the work experience which you are claiming to have. Coming from a low risk country will help too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was under the impression that it was necessary for you to get the full job description from your employer and not just a portion of the info. So people have been successful with part of the info from HR and others from supervisors?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.