Australia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to start a thread to see the timeline of others who have applied from China for a 309 visa. I've seen a thread for Korea and Japan but nothing from China. I submitted my application April 22nd and did medical on May 9th. Already submitted China police check and waiting on FBI since I lived in the US for 4 years, and Mexico, since I'm a Mexican citizen. I haven't been assigned a CO so I'm not sure if my visa will be processed in China as i'm a resident there or in Canada because they deal with Mexican visa applications. I'm about 3 months in. Anyone else applied from China that can share their timeline? :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
hey, I can give a timeline of my wife's 309 and one of my friend's 309 application which were processed in China.

If you are currently residing in China, I assume you hold a Chinese Z visa providing your work permit and resident permit of China to the DHA, your application should be processed in China. And based on the province you reside, your application would be allocated to either Australian Consulate in Shanghai, or in Beijing, in Chengdu or in Guanzhou.

Timeline for my wife's 309/100 application:
Date of lodgement: 07/11/2015 (online by myself)
Date of 309 Grant: 22/04/2016
Processing consulate: Shanghai
Current status: 100 stage applied, awaiting decision

My friend's 309/100 application:
Date of lodgement: 29/06/2016 (paper via agent)
Date of 309 Grant: 03/02/2017
Processing consulate: Guangzhou
Current status: 100 stage applied, awaitng decision

Now the official processing time for 309 stage on DHA website is 75% finalised in 21 months and 90% finalised in 26 months. I think this is just indicative. However, I am in a Chinese 309/100 application wechat group, most of the applications (lodged by end of 2017) are still getting granted within 12 months or less.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am in Shenzhen so most likely will be sent to Guangzhou thats where my last tourist 600 visa was processed and that was done in less than a week so I was kinda hopeful my 309 wouldn't take too long

·
Registered
47 Posts
I am in Shenzhen so most likely will be sent to Guangzhou thats where my last tourist 600 visa was processed and that was done in less than a week so I was kinda hopeful my 309 wouldn't take too long
The fastest processing time for a 309/100 visa from Guangzhou so far I've known is 7 months, information was from the wechat group I was in, just for your reference.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My husband lodged his 309/100 application online 27 December 2017, and Guangzhou office requested his health assessment and further documents in early March 2018.

We have not heard anything since, and the application status still says "Received" even thought we were contacted by the department through their generic email address.

It is so disappointing to see the processing time went from 13 -19 months (which is bad enough already) to 21- 26 months. Hopefully this will change with the new financial year kicking in.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My husband lodged his 309/100 application online 27 December 2017, and Guangzhou office requested his health assessment and further documents in early March 2018.

We have not heard anything since, and the application status still says "Received" even thought we were contacted by the department through their generic email address.

It is so disappointing to see the processing time went from 13 -19 months (which is bad enough already) to 21- 26 months. Hopefully this will change with the new financial year kicking in.
My husband lodged his 309/100 application online 26 September 2017, and Guangzhou office requested his health assessment and further documents in Mid-December 2017. Early July 2018, he received a phone interview from Guangzhou office. After that, further information requested (my passport copy and Form 40SP, because I renewed my passport). Still waiting.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I applied my 309/100 in January 2018 from china with a dependent , processing office is Guangzhou , been requested for medical in February 2018 and police clearance reports submitted as well , we are in Australia currently on a multiple visitor visa since May 2018 waiting for our visas ..

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm an Australian engaged to a Chinese girl whom I met on fb in late 2013.

We have had 2 holidays together in Thailand and Vietnam, then she came to live with me for a year on a WHV. We applied for an offshore PMV (300) at the beginning of March and since then, I've been to China to stay with her for a fortnight.

We are finding this delay so cruel and I wish I had ignored the advice of the migration lawyer to apply offshore.
If we had applied onshore, at least we would have been able to be together while waiting.

We're planning to apply for a visitor visa so that she can come to stay for as long as possible and hope we get a long one granted to make it worthwhile to give up her job in China.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yea I guess it would have made more sense to apply for a partner visa on shore if she was already there on a WHV. Hope you hear something soon! let us know how it goes applying for a visitor after a PMV 300. I applied for a 309 in April but my visitor visa is expiring soon so I'll have to get a new one to go visit my partner.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yes, for sure. I'll keep you posted, but not looking forward to going through another visa application, even though it's only for a visitor visa.

One problem we're having is the reluctance of many Chinese companies to provide a letter saying that the applicant will still have their job when they return.

My fiancee was not able to get this from her previous job and is certain that her current employer won't do it either.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
What about just proof of employment? I've applied for 2 tourist visas and I didn't submit a letter from my employer saying I was going back to my job after my trip. In my case I just submitted a copy of my work visa and contract with the school I'm in. My contract was until "so and so date" so I guess that showed I had something to go back to. Does she have something that shows she has a job even if theres no mention that its a job she will go back to?

·
Registered
21 Posts
The first time she applied for a tourist visa was in 2015. She was refused because she was paid cash by her employer, so there was no record of her employment. Her employer refused to give her a letter confirming her job was there when she returned.

Now, with a different employer, she has regular salary deposits to her bank account, which Immigration asked for the first time she applied, plus she says she can now get a letter saying she is employed by them, but not saying that her job is available on her return.

The PAM 3 guidelines seem to require strong proof of a reason to return to China, which many people would find it hard to demonstrate.

Quote:
"evidence that officers may wish to consider in deciding whether an applicant is a genuine visitor include:
• evidence that the applicant has been employed for at least the previous 12 months, has approved leave for the period of stay sought and will continue to be employed on their return home "

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi everyone, I’m currently waiting for my offshore 309 visa as well, I heard there is a wechat group, can someone please add me in it, so I can get some useful information?! Many thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
My wife and I applied from China on 31st Jan 2018 . In March we were asked for her passport.... Why wasn't this in the original checklist?

Anyway we were also asked in March for medical. Submitted all that in March. Now it's October 2018 and still waiting.

Been watching this waiting room and thought to share. I will post when it comes through.

Emailing them didn't help. I just got a reply referring me to their service levels.

If anyone here is part of a wechat waiting room please add me.

My wife and I have 2 years solid evidence of living together. Mid Sept she came over on a tourist visa.

Worst part of this is not being able to work here or set up a business on a tourist visa. Life is on hold for career and family planning.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My wife and I applied from China on 31st Jan 2018 . In March we were asked for her passport.... Why wasn't this in the original checklist?

Anyway we were also asked in March for medical. Submitted all that in March. Now it's October 2018 and still waiting.

Been watching this waiting room and thought to share. I will post when it comes through.

Emailing them didn't help. I just got a reply referring me to their service levels.

If anyone here is part of a wechat waiting room please add me.

My wife and I have 2 years solid evidence of living together. Mid Sept she came over on a tourist visa.

Worst part of this is not being able to work here or set up a business on a tourist visa. Life is on hold for career and family planning.
Hello! keep us posted on any updates. I am on the wechat group for people waiting but its all in Chinese. Send me a pm and i can try to add you :)

1 - 20 of 136 Posts