Australia Forum banner

2781 - 2800 of 5334 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Hi all,

We applied for a partner visa for my husband in May this year, just before we got married in July. We've only live together briefly, and we're currently living apart because of work and study commitments. How much will this matter for processing our application?
U applied bfr you got married. So was it a PMV that u applied for ? If yes, Did u request a change to 309?

Living apart temporary for work reasons or study reasons or for reasons of.waiting for your visa isnt a problem. A decision to live apart permanently is a problem. Thats why in the forms they seek to find out if u intended to live with your partner

·
Registered
6,248 Posts
Hi all,

We applied for a partner visa for my husband in May this year, just before we got married in July. We've only live together briefly, and we're currently living apart because of work and study commitments. How much will this matter for processing our application?
When applying for a subclass 309 partner visa, without being married, they normally like to see a 12 month defacto type relationship, before the application date.

Without knowing more, it is hard to tell what problems you might have, but from what you have said, I would be concerned.

It all comes down to how you have proven that yours is a genuine relationship, for a reasonable length of time.

"Usually your de facto relationship must have existed for at least 12 months immediately before you apply for the visa. Time spent dating or in an online relationship might not count as being in a de facto relationship."

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for your replies...

We got engaged in March before we applied. We both have an Indian background and our relationship started out as one that was arranged by family, but that changed fairly quickly.

We applied straight for the 309 because we were engaged already, so we were eligible to do so.

We've attached as much evidence as we have, including the detailed wedding planning docs, our correspondences with each other, anything we have, really. Not sure if this helps?

·
Registered
6,248 Posts
We applied straight for the 309 because we were engaged already, so we were eligible to do so.
You don't even need to be engaged to apply for the 309, just have sufficient evidence of the relationship, for the period required.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You don't even need to be engaged to apply for the 309, just have sufficient evidence of the relationship, for the period required.
As I said, we started off in an arranged situation (it's just how it works in our families)... these things typically happen quite quickly, so we didn't have a relationship history of 12 months or more. It was the engagement that made us eligible for this visa.

I'm sure plenty of other people have applied who have been in an arranged/semi-arranged relationship?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
As I said, we started off in an arranged situation (it's just how it works in our families)... these things typically happen quite quickly, so we didn't have a relationship history of 12 months or more. It was the engagement that made us eligible for this visa.

I'm sure plenty of other people have applied who have been in an arranged/semi-arranged relationship?
Um, engagement makes you eligible for the PMV, but not necessarily the 309 visa. For the 309, you either have to have been in a relationship for at least 12 months, or have registered the relationship to waive the 12 month requirement (registered with the state/government) or you have to be married to waive the 12 month requirement. Any one of these options needs to be at "time of lodgement," not lodge the 309 visa application and then get married. If you lodged the PMV while you were engaged, then you got married before the grant of the PMV, you can switch over to the 309 (usually). However, if you applied for the 309 thinking being engaged was enough, you may want to have a closer look at the requirements to make sure you met them at the time of lodgement. Perhaps I'm wrong, and someone more knowledgeable will correct me. But I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

·
Registered
301 Posts

Um, engagement makes you eligible for the PMV, but not necessarily the 309 visa. For the 309, you either have to have been in a relationship for at least 12 months, or have registered the relationship to waive the 12 month requirement (registered with the state/government) or you have to be married to waive the 12 month requirement. Any one of these options needs to be at "time of lodgement," not lodge the 309 visa application and then get married. If you lodged the PMV while you were engaged, then you got married before the grant of the PMV, you can switch over to the 309 (usually). However, if you applied for the 309 thinking being engaged was enough, you may want to have a closer look at the requirements to make sure you met them at the time of lodgement. Perhaps I'm wrong, and someone more knowledgeable will correct me. But I'm pretty sure that's how it works.
Yeah this true. So if it was pmv n now u r married, request for a change to 309 as soon as possible

·
Registered
6 Posts
@JandE...I am married for 17 years with 2 kids from India. My partner applied from India in April 2019. I am in Aus on PR since Dec 2018 and having job.Based on your statistics and context..on average when should we expect grant.My partner and kid were nonmigrating members in my own PR appln granted in 2017.

·
Registered
5 Posts
309 and 100 visa both granted at the same time after received an interview call yesterday!!

Applied in 15/02/2019, done police check and medical check one month after.
Got a call in 03/09/2019, asked about how long we have been living together, how we manage our money and when we had wedding ceremony.
Got granted in 200 days!
Where did you apply from and how long were you guys together?

Congratulations

We've been together for 6 years and just married in April this year. He applied from Korea.
We didn't use agent😊😊😊

·
Registered
4 Posts
The Application had three options for relationship status: De Facto, Engaged or Married. According to my research, discussions with people I know and a migration agent my family consulted, you can apply for the 309 if you are engaged but need to get married within a specified timeframe after lodging the application. So we applied in late May for the 309, before the wedding in early July. We got married in New Zealand, not in Australia.

·
Registered
804 Posts
The Application had three options for relationship status: De Facto, Engaged or Married. According to my research, discussions with people I know and a migration agent my family consulted, you can apply for the 309 if you are engaged but need to get married within a specified timeframe after lodging the application. So we applied in late May for the 309, before the wedding in early July. We got married in New Zealand, not in Australia.
That information is not correct. If you apply for the 309 there is no need to be married at any point, many don't. Not sure where you found the information that said you did.
The only one where you need to get married is after the grant of a 300, after all that's the point of the visa.

·
Registered
6,248 Posts
Yours sounds like the PMV 300, the fiance visa. We did that route too, as we hadn't been together long enough for the 309.
The condition was basically: be engaged, apply for 300, get approved, enter Australia and then get married, within a certain time. After that; apply for 820, followed by 801. We did the lot, and got PR earlier this year.

Subclass 300 Prospective Marriage visa
(engaged)
This visa lets you come to Australia to marry your prospective spouse and then apply for a Partner visa.
https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/prospective-marriage-300

Subclass 309 Partner (Provisional) visa
This visa lets the de facto partner or spouse of an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen live in Australia temporarily.
https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/partner-offshore/provisional-309

Reactions: LadyRogueRayne

·
Registered
136 Posts
Yours sounds like the PMV 300, the fiance visa. We did that route too, as we hadn't been together long enough for the 309.
The condition was basically: be engaged, apply for 300, get approved, enter Australia and then get married, within a certain time. After that; apply for 820, followed by 801. We did the lot, and got PR earlier this year.
As you mention, critically, when applying for PMV300 you shouldn't get married before the visa is approved. If you do you get transferred to the 309 I believe?

It sounds like the poster either applied for the PMV300 and got married too early, or applied for the 309 and was confused on the requirements (with the risk of having insufficient relationship history to qualify at the time of lodging).

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
delete post.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi guys. Just a question. Has anyone applied for 100 visa which is the second stage for 309 visa. Which documents were required for the 100 visa. Please of som1 could help. Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Seems like you have a lot of good info here! My only other thought is maybe including leases or house deed if you have one. That said you have more that we probably put in (we are still waiting on approval though).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi guys. Just a question. Has anyone applied for 100 visa which is the second stage for 309 visa. Which documents were required for the 100 visa. Please of som1 could help. Thanks
When I applied the 309/100 were on the same application. Do you mean what further documents are needed for the 100?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Seems like you have a lot of good info here! My only other thought is maybe including leases or house deed if you have one. That said you have more that we probably put in (we are still waiting on approval though).
sorry this was in response to the earlier member who have been together 10-15 years wh posted all of their documents for their visa.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi guys, just want to ask if one can travel overseas after applying 2nd stage partner visa100 ? my wife submitted visa 100 application last month and we have submitted most of the documents. We will be leaving for 88days in November..

If yes, will this long offshore trip can leave negative effect on her application ? can we request my wife's medical to be done later if CO ask for it while we are overseas?

PS: we bought tickets months before applying 100, was misinformed that 2 years duration will start from day she entered Australia when we planned this trip.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yea plz wht further docs the immigration would be asking if som1 has recieved communication from the immi office asking for them.

Thanks

2781 - 2800 of 5334 Posts