Australia Forum banner

4041 - 4060 of 5135 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm not here to argue or debate with anyone and no it's not fair that you can't see your family.
Correct, but it is the fault of the virus, not an Australian government being hostile without compassion towards foreign partners. That is the bit that that I find is an unfair comment, and I disagree with.

The Australian government appear to be granting as many subclass 100 visas, even before the normal 309 waiting times, as they can. I can't see how people can see that as being "without compassion". But at the same time stopping Australians from travelling other states to see their families.
Can you stop with the "no compassion" comment against me please when I didn't even make it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi Guys

Have a quick question. Not sure if this has been asked before. Please direct me to the thread if this has been asked before.

My wife has applied for a 309 in Jan 2020. I know the file might not be opened and looked at until a long long time. I actually want to apply for a tourist visa and an exemption through the immi website but the only issue is that she has to get her biometrics done again for the tourist visa and all offices that conduct these biometrics are closed until further notice.

She has already submitted biometrics and health checks for the subclass 309. Just wanted to know if there is any way to link the same one to the one already done or is there any way to get exemption from the biometrics as this has already been done.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
Hi Guys

Have a quick question. Not sure if this has been asked before. Please direct me to the thread if this has been asked before.

My wife has applied for a 309 in Jan 2020. I know the file might not be opened and looked at until a long long time. I actually want to apply for a tourist visa and an exemption through the immi website but the only issue is that she has to get her biometrics done again for the tourist visa and all offices that conduct these biometrics are closed until further notice.

She has already submitted biometrics and health checks for the subclass 309. Just wanted to know if there is any way to link the same one to the one already done or is there any way to get exemption from the biometrics as this has already been done.

Thanks!
We did the 300 visa application, and followed that with a 12 month visitor visa application, after we did the Medical.

We just mentioned in the visitor visa application about the PMV/300 application and medical.

We did not need to do them again.

·
Registered
65 Posts
We did the 300 visa application, and followed that with a 12 month visitor visa application, after we did the Medical.

We just mentioned in the visitor visa application about the PMV/300 application and medical.

We did not need to do them again.
I am pretty sure she will not have to do a medical examination again but the biometrics has been specified.

Not sure if anyone else has come up with the similar problem?

·
Registered
130 Posts
It is a shame that DHA has stopped/reduced 309 grants while 309 holders are entitled (as a rule) to unite with their partners during the international travel ban. It is a laughable but a sad fact that Australian government is penny-pinching on 309s (who have paid dearly for their visas) while bearing huge costs on other initiatives which cannot be condoned.

It almost looks like the Australian government is hostile without compassion towards foreign partners of Australian citizens who have significantly contributed and contributing to the Australian society.
90% of Australias Covid-19 cases have come in from overseas or been in contact with someone from overseas. That is the only "sad fact" you need to know. All the other stories you keep posting as facts are pure tripe.

After the [email protected] that the Vic and SA Health departments have just been through in allowing a UK resident into Australia holding an exemption who then got another exemption to leave quarantine after just 1 week in Victoria to travel by air to South Australia who subsequently tested positive on arrival in SA, the Premier has announced that he is banning anyone with a travel exemption from entering the state.

The Australian Government is doing its utmost to protect its people from this virus. If that means stopping granting offshore visas then so be it. The less people coming in from overseas the better i say. The whole world is suffering from Covid-19. Stop being selfish...
309 applicants are not selfish 🙄🙄🙄😞. Some have been married for many years but because of their profession they opted to start families out of Aussie. Now they'd like to settle down under etc. Is that being selfish, or maybe they seem selfish because they did not go the 820 way!

Be considerate of everyone's feelings.

·
Registered
130 Posts
It's. Trying and challenging time for most. May we all find calm in the midst of the storm. I wish you all strength to endure the wait and quick and timely grants.

Just a quick question. What happens incase your application is beyond the processing times and the processing office is still locked down? Am sure there are such cases and they don't know what to do

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
Just a quick question. What happens incase your application is beyond the processing times and the processing office is still locked down? Am sure there are such cases and they don't know what to do
The processing times given are actual times for the previous month, and are only a guide.

I feel sure that many grants, for at least May and June, will take longer than normal.

Some wordings from Immigration :

Processing times are impacted each month by changes in application volumes, seasonal peaks, complex cases, and incomplete applications.

Some services relating to the visa application process may be impacted by COVID-19 and a range of services we rely on are increasingly unavailable.

This includes overseas panel doctors (see below), English language testing facilities, biometric collection and paper application lodgement centres.

While these services are unavailable, many applicants cannot meet visa requirements. Applicants will be given additional time to complete checks and provide the requested information.

It is a case of everyone having more patience than normal during the pandemic and the lockdowns.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Has anyone applied for a tourist 600 visa and got accepted during this time?
My wife got a 600 visa in January. We applied from Japan. We have been married for many years.

We didn't use it yet since our flights were delayed by the Corona virus. I'm hoping to get the full visa before we leave.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Has anyone applied for a tourist 600 visa and got accepted during this time?
My wife got a 600 visa in January. We applied from Japan. We have been married for many years.

We didn't use it yet since our flights were delayed
by the Corona virus. I'm hoping to get the full visa before we leave.
We had already applied for the 309 visa and done a medical.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hello JandE,

Thank you for your continuous support and prompt replies that help everyone here.

Do you mind kindly reminding us what was the average processing time for visa 309 for May and june 2019 please?

Also, from your experience, do you think DHA will reduce or even completely stop the 309 (not talking about PMV300) grants till travel ban is finally over or we will start to see more grants towards the last quarter of 2020 perhaps?

To be honest, i don't see travel bans getting lifted till mid 2021, do you think the 309 grants could be paused till then?

The processing times given are actual times for the previous month, and are only a guide.

I feel sure that many grants, for at least May and June, will take longer than normal.

Some wordings from Immigration :

Processing times are impacted each month by changes in application volumes, seasonal peaks, complex cases, and incomplete applications.

Some services relating to the visa application process may be impacted by COVID-19 and a range of services we rely on are increasingly unavailable.

This includes overseas panel doctors (see below), English language testing facilities, biometric collection and paper application lodgement centres.

While these services are unavailable, many applicants cannot meet visa requirements. Applicants will be given additional time to complete checks and provide the requested information.

It is a case of everyone having more patience than normal during the pandemic and the lockdowns.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello..
We asked our case officer for visa options and she gave us the link to the exemption form. I was wondering whether we can apply for the exemption with our 309 still being processed. Is such a thing possible?? Or do we need to have another kind of visa like 600 or the sponsored family stream

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
Hello JandE,

Thank you for your continuous support and prompt replies that help everyone here.

Do you mind kindly reminding us what was the average processing time for visa 309 for May and june 2019 please?
Jun 2019: 15-20 = 75% took up to 15 months. 10% took over 20 months.
May 2019: 14-19 = 75% took up to 14 months. 10% took over 19 months.

Also, from your experience, do you think DHA will reduce or even completely stop the 309 (not talking about PMV300) grants till travel ban is finally over or we will start to see more grants towards the last quarter of 2020 perhaps?

To be honest, i don't see travel bans getting lifted till mid 2021, do you think the 309 grants could be paused till then?
Some 309s have been granted, but at the same time as the 100. This indicates that they may be prioritising some cases above others, maybe longer relationships, giving rise to more compelling circumstances?

I feel it is safer to assume the worst, and be happy if a grant comes through early. That is less stressful than waiting for that grant every day, but it never arrives..

I remember that daily checking (multiple times per day) to see if the grant had arrived.. I can only imagine how worse it is now.

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
Hello..
We asked our case officer for visa options and she gave us the link to the exemption form. I was wondering whether we can apply for the exemption with our 309 still being processed. Is such a thing possible?? Or do we need to have another kind of visa like 600 or the sponsored family stream
From what I have read, you need a valid visa, such as the 600, to get the travel exemption for that visa.

The exemption is for the airport to allow you to travel, using whatever valid visa you hold.

A 309 does not need a travel exemption.

·
Registered
215 Posts
90% of Australias Covid-19 cases have come in from overseas or been in contact with someone from overseas. That is the only "sad fact" you need to know. All the other stories you keep posting as facts are pure tripe.

After the [email protected] that the Vic and SA Health departments have just been through in allowing a UK resident into Australia holding an exemption who then got another exemption to leave quarantine after just 1 week in Victoria to travel by air to South Australia who subsequently tested positive on arrival in SA, the Premier has announced that he is banning anyone with a travel exemption from entering the state.

The Australian Government is doing its utmost to protect its people from this virus. If that means stopping granting offshore visas then so be it. The less people coming in from overseas the better i say. The whole world is suffering from Covid-19. Stop being selfish...
An exemption is not needed for a 309 visa holder since he/she is a new resident (and has become one of us at least on a temporary basis). Therefore, the comments of the premier of SA does not apply in this case. All residents/citizens returning from overseas pose a Covid-19 risk to the local community. In order to mitigate this risk, there is a well-established quarantine process which cost money. Any new 309 visa holders would be treated as a returning resident (as a rule) and the virus risk would be mitigated in a similar fashion. If DHA has reduced 309 processing as a penny-pinching effort at the cost of a fundamental-right of Australian citizens (with foreign partners), it is unacceptable and immoral.

·
Registered
215 Posts
This is the official info:

It is pretty clear that COVID is disrupting visa grants. From official sources, not rumours.
I have seen people saying "not to worry, your visa will soon be granted". They are not Official statements, and have become the rumours.

People with special circumstances are getting visas. Quite a number of 309 applicants, with compelling circumstances, are actually going direct to the subclass 100 permanent visa much faster than normal, probably processed in Australia, rather than the overseas local office.

Your comment that "the Australian government is hostile without compassion towards foreign partners of Australian citizens" is plain wrong.

Applicants without compelling circumstances, ie: just the normal separation that most applicants go through, are still having to wait as normal, for their local office to finalise their case. COVID is obviously causing issues for these, along with issues for many other people in the world, including Australians in Australia.

Many people have to wait until this is all over, until they can meet their relatives again, and this includes Australians in Australia, due to State lockdowns, with few exemptions for Australians.
Ok. It is good to know that they are granting more 309/100 visas for split families. That shows some compassion. Also, DHA needs to concentrate on 309 visas where it is most needed to join families during this unprecedented time. Instead if DHA is concentrating on 820 and 100 (where families are already leaving together) and reduce the effort on 309 processing as a penny-pinching exercise, it can be seen as unethical and immoral.

Reactions: thunderland87

·
Registered
215 Posts
Immigration seem pretty good, not hostile, to foreign partners of Australian citizens, where they are dealt with in Australia, ie, the onshore 820s.

The issue for 309s is the offshore processing. Often being done by overseas local staff. Who may be more affected by Covid lockdowns etc.
309 is processed in overseas offices and those are affected by lockdowns can be considered as a lame excuse. If 820 can be processed onshore, in principle, 309 can be processed onshore as well. In fact, this is already happening. AHC Cairo is an example where visa processing has been transferred to onshore processing office due to local lockdowns. All similar visa applications can be processed once in a globally distributed queue on their own merits without artificially imposing restrictions on some similar categories.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello..
From what I have read, you need a valid visa, such as the 600, to get the travel exemption for that visa.

The exemption is for the airport to allow you to travel, using whatever valid visa you hold.

A 309 does not need a travel exemption.
I'm not sure that is correct. You apply for the 600 visa first (if you don't already have one) then, using the travel exemption form you reference the TRN of the 600 visa application you just lodged. They assess the exemption form and will review it along with the referenced 600 visa application. If you send in a standard 600 visa application without a linked exemption form it will just sit there until borders re open.

·
Registered
39 Posts
What a beautiful comment!!!!

All i can say, God bless you

An exemption is not needed for a 309 visa holder since he/she is a new resident (and has become one of us at least on a temporary basis). Therefore, the comments of the premier of SA does not apply in this case. All residents/citizens returning from overseas pose a Covid-19 risk to the local community. In order to mitigate this risk, there is a well-established quarantine process which cost money. Any new 309 visa holders would be treated as a returning resident (as a rule) and the virus risk would be mitigated in a similar fashion. If DHA has reduced 309 processing as a penny-pinching effort at the cost of a fundamental-right of Australian citizens (with foreign partners), it is unacceptable and immoral.

·
Registered
128 Posts
The comments of the Premier most certainly do apply. He is saying it doesn't matter if you have an exemption, you wont be going to South Australia. Plain and simple.
If the Australian Gov is trying to save on spending by slowing down the influx of immigrants then they have the right to do so. With the downturn in the economy and the continued threat of the virus in other countries it makes perfect sense

·
Registered
39 Posts
No, it doesn't apply.He is referring to those who applied for exemptions on compassionate grounds. The British woman was granted her exemption to visit a dying relative and this is the type of exemption he is suspending till the admin errors have been rectified. The holders of 309, 820 have never been part of the travel ban and that's why they don't need to apply for an excemption once their visa is granted.

Now, regarding the downturn of the economy and cutting visas, that makes sense for perhaps temporary skilled visas, WHV etc but not for family partner visas. The government has not even once announced that partner visas will be paused due to the risk the new migrants will constitute and they considered those who have 309/820 as a returning resident.

Any country in the world, including germany, Uk, norway, etc, have mostly paused temporary visas grants however, they continued to process family visas due to its critical need.

If you're too unhappy about 309/partner visa people to be brought to Australia because of the risk of bringing the virus to Australia, then i think you should be much more concerned about the government working hard to bring the international students in July.

If the government is ble to make arrangments and plan the safe arrival of international students as early as July for the sake of their $$$$, then the government can most certainly manage and plan the safe arrival of partners of Australian citizens and permanent residents.

The comments of the Premier most certainly do apply. He is saying it doesn't matter if you have an exemption, you wont be going to South Australia. Plain and simple.
If the Australian Gov is trying to save on spending by slowing down the influx of immigrants then they have the right to do so. With the downturn in the economy and the continued threat of the virus in other countries it makes perfect sense

4041 - 4060 of 5135 Posts