Australia Forum banner

4281 - 4300 of 5135 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
My wife and I got her a 309 visa in Jan 2020, took about 13 months. We are still in the US and it is not personally urgent to get to Australia. Given the pandemic situation it would seem in everyone's interest to get the deadline extended for first arriving in Australia on the 309. So I figure I just need to float this idea in as many places as possible and cross my fingers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Finally!!! My husband just received his 309 visa grant after almost 18 months.
He is from Nigeria, processing office was Pretoria.

We applied Feb 7 2019

Received RFI June 2020 after I emailed them and asked if someone could look into our application.

Supplied all requested documents by July 10th 2020

I emailed them again July 19 asking for our visa to be granted.

July 22nd - visa granted!!

My husband had applied for 2 tourist visas while waiting for this visa, both were not granted - so we have spent the entire time apart!
We have a son born September 2019 that my husband is yet to even see, we are so relieved and excited to finally receive our grant!
can you telll me the email address to contact them please??

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
FYI... the processing time for 309 visa is now changed to 16-22 months. I was expecting this will happen and it will increase further in coming months. I think now the only way to get 309 visa this year is if someone directly knows the visa processing officers or through some sort of political connection. Seems like applying for 309 visa last year in March 2019 was the biggest mistake of my life :(
Having compassionate grounds is the common way to get the visa granted early. Grants by personal or political connection would get very negative publicity, and possibly reversal of grant.

The changes in times are not as big in comparison to earlier times, basically the same as 6 months ago, but maybe an extra 4 weeks more (for majority) than this time last year.

Jun 2020: 16-22 = 75% took up to 16 months. 10% took over 22 Months.

Dec 2019: 16-21 = 75% took up to 16 months. 10% took over 21 months.

Jun 2019: 15-20 = 75% took up to 15 months. 10% took over 20 months.

Reactions: zacshelby

·
Registered
23 Posts
Finally!!! My husband just received his 309 visa grant after almost 18 months.
He is from Nigeria, processing office was Pretoria.

We applied Feb 7 2019

Received RFI June 2020 after I emailed them and asked if someone could look into our application.

Supplied all requested documents by July 10th 2020

I emailed them again July 19 asking for our visa to be granted.

July 22nd - visa granted!!

My husband had applied for 2 tourist visas while waiting for this visa, both were not granted - so we have spent the entire time apart!
We have a son born September 2019 that my husband is yet to even see, we are so relieved and excited to finally receive our grant!
can you telll me the email address to contact them please??
[email protected]

I always received a response within a day or two after emailing them!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everyone, my sister(Australian citizen but currently living in UAE with her husband) and her husband applied for 309 visa in UAE . The application was lodged online in November 2018. They received request for biometrics and health tests within a week of lodgement which was promptly done. However since then the only communication they have had is 2 automated emails when the application time hit 12 month and 18 month mark saying their application in being processed. My sister tried to contact immigration on the phone to find out why was it taking so long but their reply was that they wont comment of specific cases and can only give general info. It has been 20 plus months now and nothing since the start of application. my question is what should they do now, just wait and do nothing, or is there anything they can do about it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm in a similar situation. Applied in November 2018. Received an RFI email in March 2020 and supplied all the docs and haven't heard from the since!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think my post would give some hopes to someone.
My case is quiet complicated.
I was on a student visa since 2013, in 2017, my mum applied for a protection visa and added me as a dependent child, the application got rejected and we were on BVA waiting for Tribunal hearings.

In the mean time, I met my partner in late 2017, I moved in in Sep 2018. Since Nov 2018, We went to so many lawyers but they all rejected my request to apply for a partner visa because it really looked like our relationship wasn’t genuine and I just wanted to stay in Australia at any cost. My current lawyer refused me as well, but when she really believed that our relationship was serious, she accepted the case.

We only register Defacto relationship and got the certificate on 18th April 2019, then I left Australia end of April, we lodged the application on 20th May, 2019.

We didn’t really have a lot of evidence, we mostly contacted through WhatsApp chat but we didn’t submit it, we only opened joint account since March 2019 where Only my weekly income was put into it. We didn’t have any shared bills cuz my partner didn’t need me to share any bills. Mostly are photos (I screenshoted my IPhone photos that have date and location so it was pretty legit).

For one year, we updated when my partner made a trip to Vietnam in June, October and December 2019, should have one more in March 2020 but it got cancelled because of pandemic, but we updated the flight tickets and the cancellation from the airway anyway. We also updated the call logs screenshot from Whatsapp (we call each other everyday), and the joint account’s bank statement (my partner transferred me money every week, not much, but it is a consistent). We didn’t submit our conversation chat btw.

I also applied for a visitor visa in February 2020 but got rejected, reason was because I had no jobs in Vietnam, and the whole picture looked like I tried to go back to Australia and tried to extend my stay illegally.

We got a RFI for our police check in June 2020, we updated on 20th July, and I received my visa granted on 23rd July.

We didn’t believe that I could get a visa, we actually more likely expected that The immigration might reject my application and I had to go to the Tribunal.

So it’s been 14 month or waiting. Again my case was pretty complicated so I hope everyone will get your visa very soon 😎��

·
Registered
5 Posts
My wife and I got her a 309 visa in Jan 2020, took about 13 months. We are still in the US and it is not personally urgent to get to Australia. Given the pandemic situation it would seem in everyone's interest to get the deadline extended for first arriving in Australia on the 309. So I figure I just need to float this idea in as many places as possible and cross my fingers.
Hi, I'm in the similar situation, I've just got my visa granted. My partner and I prefer me staying a bit longer in my country because it's very safe in here (Vietnam). But my lawyer and my partner's family want me to comeback Australia ASAP because they're afraid the pandemic will be worse again and the worst case, they will close the border for EVERYONE. The lawyer even said if I'd pass the initial entry date because of the border closed, the immigration might not consider my extension request and my application has to start over again ☹.
I don't think Australia will ever close the border for everyone, but it's hard to convince my partner's family, and I'm not ready to leave yet since I'm enrolling in a course in Vietnam, so that I can work for myself when I go back to Australia instead of being an employee. ☹

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi all, does anyone know a way to contact the department or a consulate(?) regarding a partner visa application lodged in the US? We applied in December 2019 with medical and police reports included, and have had no response so far. I know that doesn't seem that long ago compared to some, but with COVID we are getting anxious to get out of the US.

Has anyone heard of US applications being granted anytime in the last couple of months?

Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I submited my visa on 22 April this year but still cant go and do biometric cause VFS is still closed in my country. anybody knows when VFS will open again? I know this time they are processing 2019 still but I'm worried cause its already 3 months since when I submitted and I cant do biometric

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi, I'm in the similar situation, I've just got my visa granted. My partner and I prefer me staying a bit longer in my country because it's very safe in here (Vietnam). But my lawyer and my partner's family want me to comeback Australia ASAP because they're afraid the pandemic will be worse again and the worst case, they will close the border for EVERYONE. The lawyer even said if I'd pass the initial entry date because of the border closed, the immigration might not consider my extension request and my application has to start over again ☹.
I don't think Australia will ever close the border for everyone, but it's hard to convince my partner's family, and I'm not ready to leave yet since I'm enrolling in a course in Vietnam, so that I can work for myself when I go back to Australia instead of being an employee. ☹
I'm on the same boat too!
My partner and I are living together in New Zealand, I'm studying in Uni while he is working full time. We aren't eager to travel to AU at all😂 My latest first entry time is March 2021.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi all, does anyone know a way to contact the department or a consulate(?) regarding a partner visa application lodged in the US? We applied in December 2019 with medical and police reports included, and have had no response so far. I know that doesn't seem that long ago compared to some, but with COVID we are getting anxious to get out of the US.

Has anyone heard of US applications being granted anytime in the last couple of months?

Thanks!
My wife (JPN) also submitted in December 2019 and all paperwork and requirements complete by March or so. We have not heard anything back either. I don't know of your chances of increasing processing time by contacting them this early... And I doubt they would consider your living situation in the USA grounds for a faster processing time. Sorry I can't be of more help, we used an immigration lawyer to submit ours... Did you do it yourself?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I submited my visa on 22 April this year but still cant go and do biometric cause VFS is still closed in my country. anybody knows when VFS will open again? I know this time they are processing 2019 still but I'm worried cause its already 3 months since when I submitted and I cant do biometric
Don't worry too much, The immigration will take the extended timeframe into account when consider your application. In the mean time, all you can do is update your relationship on going evidence every few months.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm on the same boat too!
My partner and I are living together in New Zealand, I'm studying in Uni while he is working full time. We aren't eager to travel to AU at all😂 My latest first entry time is March 2021.
My latest first entry time is January 2021 but I book a ticket for 2nd september. Will see how this adventure will go since in Melbourne is really mess, planes change flights all the time... 😳😳😳 will be challenge but I will give some update ✈✈✈

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
Looking at the information from those links, it is surprising that the number of subclass 309 grants is actually as high as it is, when Australia is trying to stop people entering the country. With the emphasis on stopping offshore visa grants.

Average subclass 309 visa grants.
1,332 grants per month 2018/19
1,136 grants per month 2019/20 (to April)

Obviously, with the planned reduction of offshore visa grants due to Covid, the numbers of grants will be lower this year.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Looking at the information from those links, it is surprising that the number of subclass 309 grants is actually as high as it is, when Australia is trying to stop people entering the country. With the emphasis on stopping offshore visa grants.

Average subclass 309 visa grants.
1,332 grants per month 2018/19
1,136 grants per month 2019/20 (to April)

Obviously, with the planned reduction of offshore visa grants due to Covid, the numbers of grants will be lower this year.
I'm not sure if that's the case. The Australian government specifically listed family visas as exempt from its visa restrictions for this year. They have also said they are prioritizing family visas above others due to COVID. If anything I think we might get more family visas to help bring Aussies home to contribute to the economy instead of them issuing working visas.

4281 - 4300 of 5135 Posts