Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are applying for partner visa offshore application (Subclass 309).
I (husband/spouse/sponsor) am an Australian Citizen (Indian nationality) living in Sydney,Australia.
My wife (applicant) holds Indian passport but residing in USA on H1 Visa (Work Visa). We met in India on Feb 2014 and we got married on Mar 2014 (in India), in about a month from the time we met. (Both of us was visiting our family in India on holidays)
our marriage was an arranged marriage, arranged by both of our parents, family and friends. When we met we liked each other and said yes (I know this sounds a little weird). We have Marriage certificate and the photos of marriage and reception, wedding cards, viber chat history, the few sms's that we sent to each other over Cell network.
Wife is currently in USA

Now I am little concerned whether the immigration people will consider this as a genuine case or not. (given the relationship time period)?

And about the income - I am on very low income around $15500 for the last 2 tax assessment years, (never been on welfare). And the previous to these assessment years the income was around $37,000 - $38,000/yr. I am working at the present time with a yearly salary of around $32,070/yr (before tax).
And also have a savings account of around $30k (have been saving up in the past) with proper bank statements.

I was wondering if financial support is of any issue for the DIAC to approve? (I did read one of the thread about income and it was written around $25k/yr as a threshold, so was unsure if there would be any issue with my application. Your suggestions/comments are appreciated...)

Processing time frame - I have checked with Australian High commission in USA and they said the processing time for Partner visa is around 8-12 months. Has anyone applied recently and I would be very glad if you are happy to share your experience.

What is the best way to apply via online/Post?

Any recommendations/suggestions are very much appreciated on this case....

Thanks for reading and will look forward to hear from you...

·
Premium Member
8,885 Posts
Yes, 8-12 months is about right for the US right now.

Being married is not enough for a spouse visa. You really need to be sharing households, expenses, etc. Have you not lived together at all? That may be a problem. Professional migration agents usually recommend *at least* three months of living together for married couples applying for the spouse visa so you can accumulate enough evidence of living together and shared finances.

Reactions: Dinkum

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, 8-12 months is about right for the US right now.

Being married is not enough for a spouse visa. You really need to be sharing households, expenses, etc. Have you not lived together at all? That may be a problem. Professional migration agents usually recommend *at least* three months of living together for married couples applying for the spouse visa so you can accumulate enough evidence of living together and shared finances.
About the Income any thoughts. Do you think I would submit an AOS anyway? and would there be any issue if we submit an AOS without DIAC asking?

But if its an arranged marriage (arranged by family and friends), How would you have lived together for so long especially when both the people are living and working in different continents (one in Australia, other in USA) and got married in another country (INDIA)?

·
Premium Member
8,885 Posts
Three months is really not long to expect a married couple to live together after marriage. You might want to talk to a migration agent. It may be that DIBP are more lenient given their knowledge of the arranged marriages of India. I just wouldn't be risking it. You could always consider a three-month holiday together before applying.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does anybody can suggest/guide me if the spouse (sponsor) is working in a part-time job and is self-employed in Australia,
Does the spouse (sponsor) has to show both the type of employment in the application as a mandate?
please advise...

Also, this thought of low income is killing me.... can anyone help please...

- I am on very low income around $15500 for the last 2 tax assessment years, (never been on welfare). And the previous to these assessment years the income was around $37,000 - $38,000/yr. I am working at the present time with a yearly salary of around $32,070/yr (before tax).
And also have a savings account of around $30k (have been saving up in the past) with proper bank statements. (all genuine)

I was wondering if financial support is of any issue in the view of DIAC to approve? (I did read one of the thread about income and it was written around $25k/yr as a threshold, so was unsure if there would be any issue with my application. Your suggestions/comments are appreciated...

Thanks

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
People on Centrelink can sponsor their spouse successfully.

ALL income must be declared on your tax return, regardless. And you supply your tax return with your partner visa application.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

ALL income must be declared on your tax return, regardless. And you supply your tax return with your partner visa application.
Ok I understand declaring it on the tax return and I have declared it. I have started the 2nd job not too long ago.
I was just asking about mentioning in the partner visa application. My concern is if I mention both the works, will it create more qs as the other one is self-employment.

·
Registered
10 Posts

Hi GBP,

I have sponsored my wife recently for a 309 visa and I was able to show a total income of 56K+ for the last two years. However I've been unemployed for the last one month as my contract came to an end. Will seeking any assistance from centrelink disqualify me as a sponsor? Will they delay or stop processing my wife's application till I get another job? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
5,245 Posts
As GBP said, people on Centrelink can and have sponsored partners successfully so it won't disqualify or delay/stop processing of the application.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi

I (husband/spouse/sponsor) am an Australian Citizen (Indian nationality) living in Sydney,Australia.
My wife (applicant) holds Indian passport but residing in USA on H1 Visa (Work Visa). We met in India on Feb 2014 and we got married on Mar 2014 (in India), in about a month from the time we met. (Both of us was visiting our family in India on holidays)
our marriage was an arranged marriage, arranged by both of our parents, family and friends. When we met we liked each other and said yes (I know this sounds a little weird). We have Marriage certificate and the photos of marriage and reception, wedding cards, viber chat history, the few sms's that we sent to each otherover Cell network.
Wife is currently in USA

Now I am little concerned whether the immigration people will consider this as a genuine case or not. (given the relationship time period)?

And about the income - I am on very low income around $15500 for the last 2 tax assessment years, (never been on welfare). And the previous to these assessment years the income was around $37,000 - $38,000/yr. I am working at the present time with a yearly salary of around $32,070/yr (before tax).
And also have a savings account of around $30k (have been saving up in the past) with proper bank statements.

I was wondering if financial support is of any issue for the DIAC to approve? (I did read one of the thread about income and it was written around $25k/yr as a threshold, so was unsure if there would be any issue with my application. Your suggestions/comments are appreciated...)

Processing time frame - I have checked with Australian High commission in USA and they said the processing time for Partner visa is around 8-12 months. Has anyone applied recently and I would be very glad if you are happy to share your experience.

Hi.

I had just got my wife her subclass 100 permanent visa myself, so I know what you are going through.
Though unfortunately Australian immigration doesn't support arranged marriage, as you may have a longer wait for visa grant, or they may ask you to show more proof that the marriage will last.
It may be easier if you to join her in the USA or live together in India First to show more evidence that you are a really together, or the immigration may see it is more of a arranged marriage that they don't support.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi

our marriage was an arranged marriage, arranged by both of our parents, family and friends. When we met we liked each other and said yes (I know this sounds a little weird). We have Marriage certificate and the photos of marriage and reception, wedding cards, viber chat history, the few sms's that we sent to each other over Cell network.
Wife is currently in USA

About the Income any thoughts. Do you think I would submit an AOS anyway? and would there be any issue if we submit an AOS without DIAC asking?

But if its an arranged marriage (arranged by family and friends), How would you have lived together for so long especially when both the people are living and working in different continents (one in Australia, other in USA) and got married in another country (INDIA)?
Hi I agree as it is very difficult to prove a arranged marriage would last, also that the Australian immigration doesn't support arrange marriage, to who is to say the Girl may have been forced into it?

I believe DAC will not grant the visa partner visa as they haven't lived together long enough to support legitimate marriage.

·
Registered
334 Posts
" Australian immigration doesn't support arrange marriage"

That is a blatantly wrong statement. Every year, a lot of partner visas are granted in India where the couple had arranged marriage and did not live together. It depends on the place where you are applying from. Australian consulates generally function in line with local customs (as long as they comply with Australian laws).

·
Registered
129 Posts
One of the absolute main criteria for a partner visa is to prove that a relationship is real.....I cannot understand why the majority would have to try and provide every shred of evidence that this is the case and others could get away with hardly any because its a culture thing....makes no sense at all....In my case I was married and lived with my partner for 6 years continuous and without hard proof, it meant little in the big picture....so im not too sure a courting period of around 1 month would satisfy them.....

The financial side of things boils down to can you support and provide for your partner for whatever period that's applicable....usually 2 years.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.