Australia Forum banner

61 - 80 of 1543 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,033 Posts
Yes, London is like clockwork! Everybody at 8-9 months. There have been a few here and there getting them at 7, but don't expect that - because what you expect never happens with immigration, lolol.

·
Registered
71 Posts
We did the medical last week, now I'm going to re-do the police check and submit it as otherwise the visa will have to be activated too soon.

We are expecting it back in late Feb/March. I'm not expecting to hear much until then.

·
Premium Member
9,033 Posts
I never got a definitive answer on that issue - on whether you could redo your police checks or medical in the hopes they'd base your initial entry date on the new date of those instead. I can't remember - did you contact DIBP to ask? I just want to make sure you don't make plans thinking you'll have much more time and then they still make the initial entry date what it was originally..

·
Registered
71 Posts
No I mentioned it to the CO, and she said we could re-do it - and that it would be good to do it at the same time as the medicals and get the extension.

I'll check the wording if I can find the email, but it was pretty unequivocal I think.

·
Premium Member
9,033 Posts
That's actually really great info! Thanks for sharing it! :) I think if we don't have our visa soon I'll have our MA contact them and ask about redoing my police checks as they expire in November... maybe that will make them look at my application again, too...

·
Registered
71 Posts
OK. It wasn't as exact as I thought. I asked specifically if we could re-do the police check to extend as I hadn't realised it was the limiting factor for the visa. She responded that we could send the police check, and she recommended we do it at the same time as the medicals.

I inferred the rest. But as it was in response to a specific request that is what I thought it meant.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey,
I'm new to this so not 100% on what I do!
My husband is from the UK and our paperwork was received last week (I know from Australia post delivery tracker not their confirmation).
So is the process
- Official confirmation of receipt
-Assigned CO
-Approval (eventually)
We submitted a "decision ready" application with medicals and police checks included from advice by our agent. So are we looking at 8months or 5 months as outlined on the departments website?
We got our legal paperwork done early and have planned (and paid for) our "official wedding" in late February. We were told that we won't need to cancel it because it will be approved before then- thoughts?

·
Premium Member
9,033 Posts
You applied offshore? Actually, the London embassy instructs all applicants to wait until their CO requests medicals and police checks, so I'm afraid you might have gotten rather poor advice from your agent. London is taking 8-9 months to process all partner/PMV visas at the moment, with only a sparse handful getting through at 7 months. The reason they're asking people to wait on the health/police checks is that your initial entry date (the date by which you have to enter Oz) is one year after your medicals or police checks, whichever is first, and since they are taking 8-9 months, you might now only have a couple of months to make your arrangements and get into Australia.

·
Registered
15 Posts
what happens if you decide to go to Oz

Hey all,

Do you any of you know what would happen if you were to go to Australia even though you are awaiting your offshore visa to be granted - would you just have to come back when your visa comes through? and so in the meantime get a tourist Visa?

We just applied a few weeks ago and no CO yet. My partner is Australian and has just at the end of the summer decided to do his teaching over there. I dont expect to see a visa untill easter at the very earliest but we dont want to be apart and is masters in education starts in March so he will have to go home early Feb! Any advice is welcome please!:p

·
Premium Member
9,033 Posts
Responded to that question elsewhere. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Processing times

All,

I thought I would share my recent experiences to help those in need:

31, male, UK citizen, good job, good health, no convictions, married to an Australian citizen

Applied for PARTNER (PROVISIONAL) (Class UF) PARTNER (PROVISIONAL) (Subclass 309) visa

Visa granted

Advice:

• Plan your application
• Take your time
• Budget
• Be patient

All the best

·
Registered
176 Posts
All,

I thought I would share my recent experiences to help those in need:

31, male, UK citizen, good job, good health, no convictions, married to an Australian citizen

Applied for PARTNER (PROVISIONAL) (Class UF) PARTNER (PROVISIONAL) (Subclass 309) visa

Visa granted

Advice:

• Plan your application
• Take your time
• Budget
• Be patient

All the best
Chris_Smith - thanks do much for sharing! There is light at the end of the tunnel for us! :D

Sent from my iPhone using Australia Forum app

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'm getting restless again waiting, so I thought I'd have a look on the Australian High Commission - London website.

There's a note on there saying that they get a higher number of visa & citizenship applications in the run up to the holiday season... Does this mean we'll have to wait longer from them to process other visas? Or do they have different departments that deal with different visa types?

Sent from my iPhone using Australia Forum app

·
Premium Member
9,033 Posts
I'm not positive how it works in London, but in most embassies COs do "specialize" in a type of visa and handle primarily that visa type. Also, any applications that came in before SHOULD be processed before those that are just coming in now, so since you've already applied... theoretically it shouldn't slow things down. Hopefully!

·
Registered
531 Posts
So...1st of November is looming. That will mark 6 months to the day since our application was recevied and acknowledged.

My husband was in Australia with me, but has had to return to the UK as we could no longer afford for him not to work. I have emailed our CO today to ask the million dollar question - Can you see about approving us earlier?

I don't like our chances but hey, if you don't ask you never know!

·
Premium Member
9,033 Posts
So...1st of November is looming. That will mark 6 months to the day since our application was recevied and acknowledged.

My husband was in Australia with me, but has had to return to the UK as we could no longer afford for him not to work. I have emailed our CO today to ask the million dollar question - Can you see about approving us earlier?

Good luck! I'm so sorry your husband had to go home. :( If it makes you feel any better, on the UK-specific forum I also frequent, there have been some folks getting their grants at about 6.5 months... not everyone, though! They're still telling people to work to the 8-9 month estimate. But... hope springs eternal. <3

·
Registered
51 Posts

Good luck! Did you get a reply? I think you have the same CO as me and I'm just a couple of weeks behind so would be keen to know what you hear. Hope it goes well for you, there have been quite a few on pomsinoz that have had grants at 6.5 or 7 months which is good!

61 - 80 of 1543 Posts