Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys! OMG, so close to completion. Health checks and police checks have passed, and now my wife and I are preparing the last of our documents. One being the rather pesky Stat Decs.

We've applied for an offshore partner visa, meaning my wife currently cannot enter Australia (just yet) to get a stat dec there. I can, but it's a last resort as I am swamped in the middle of many projects and cannot leave all of a sudden (lest I lose the ability to be a sponsor!).

So my question is: Would I be able to ask a few friends and family members to help write the stat decs for me, scan it, then send it over for me to upload to the application?

One of my friends claim that I need to be there, otherwise the declaration witnesses won't sign. Is this true?

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
8,885 Posts
Okay, I'm confused by your question - what specifically are you trying to certify? There's no reason your wife should have to come to Australia to get anything for your application certified.

If you are talking about your own statements about your relationship, those don't need to be certified/witnessed. You can just type up your own statements and scan and upload those. And actually, you don't even have to do that if applying online - the questions they ask during the application actually replace those.

If you are talking about your Forms 888 - i.e., statutory declarations written about your relationship by other people - those people need to get those statements certified by whatever means is traditionally used in that country for certifying documents. They also need to get a copy of their government-issued ID certified the same way.

If this doesn't answer your question, can you clarify more what you're trying to get certified?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, I'm confused by your question - what specifically are you trying to certify? There's no reason your wife should have to come to Australia to get anything for your application certified.

If you are talking about your own statements about your relationship, those don't need to be certified/witnessed. You can just type up your own statements and scan and upload those. And actually, you don't even have to do that if applying online - the questions they ask during the application actually replace those.

If you are talking about your Forms 888 - i.e., statutory declarations written about your relationship by other people - those people need to get those statements certified by whatever means is traditionally used in that country for certifying documents. They also need to get a copy of their government-issued ID certified the same way.

If this doesn't answer your question, can you clarify more what you're trying to get certified?
Sorry about that mate! The statutory declaration I am talking about is Form 888 (statutory declarations written about your relationship by other people). What's confusing me is something my friend in Australia said - that I needed to be there when he signs the stat dec.

That's the puzzling bit - we are applying for an Offshore Partner Visa, so my wife cannot enter Australia until she gets this visa. So why do we need to be present when my friend signs his stat dec about his opinion of our relationship?

·
Premium Member
10,516 Posts
Sorry about that mate! The statutory declaration I am talking about is Form 888 (statutory declarations written about your relationship by other people). What's confusing me is something my friend in Australia said - that I needed to be there when he signs the stat dec.

That's the puzzling bit - we are applying for an Offshore Partner Visa, so my wife cannot enter Australia until she gets this visa. So why do we need to be present when my friend signs his stat dec about his opinion of our relationship?
Tell him to go to another JP! The only person that needs to be there in front of the JP is the person who is signing the declaration and they need to provide their ID for the JP to see when they sign.

·
Premium Member
8,885 Posts
Yep, chaofahn, your friend is giving you wrong information there. :)

Reactions: chaofahn
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.