Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I've been in Japan for quite a while and Im looking for advice.... I currently teach English in Japan (as you do) and have done so for about 7 years, I have in the last two years married (In Japan) a wonderful lady.... A previous employer offered me a position back in Aus. As for the 7,000 dollar married spouse visa fee....(ほんとですか) I`m open for advice for anything else I should concider..... Seriously I left Australia for a three month holiday by bicycle and tent....

S

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
You will have to apply for a partner visa to bring your wife back. These visas take some time to process. I expect that your wife's application will be processed in Tokyo, which probably means faster processing.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Applications in Japan are processed by the Seoul office and they require specific documents like the family register. All documents in Japanese also need to be translated by professional translators (they don't have to be NAATI accredited but they need to be company registered ie no freelancers). Definitely take a look on the embassy website, they have all the details about what you need specifically for applying through the Seoul office.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the replies.... My wife is an acupuncturist/ sports physio... Thanks for all the advice, my old career (science) calls to me but I really want to make sure my wife is happy... and the opportunity to go back to University in Aus.....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi sukotto.m

I applied 5 months ago from Tokyo and still waiting….
In addition to the $7000 you here is a few other costs:
Aust Police checks for me an my wife - $100 (Japanese ones are free)
Translation of documents – I think we have spent about 30,000yen on these so far.. hopefully no more!
Medical check for my wife - 25,000yen.

We also had a few problems with names, since my wife hadn’t changed her name at the time of the application then gradually kept updating various ID’s after the application. We then finally got stuck since the Japanese police would not issue a Police check in her passport name (we didn’t change it since she still has 6 years remaining) because her family register didn’t match, even though the family register says she was previously known as XXX but now YYY and the police check must also include current and previous names (The Immigration dept says the police check and the passport name must match). The Japanese police department said tough luck, she must change her passport (I know a fair few people in Japan who have passports in their maiden names though).
We have overseas holidays booked during XMAS so can’t change her passport until after that.... In saying that the Japanese ones are free!

We also had a lot of trouble proving our finances, since as you would know your house (rental?) would be under your or your wifes name but not both (even though you have the Jyuminhyo at the same address), also you have your own bank accounts and if you share money is usually in cash because it costs money to do bank transfers here.
Houses are small here and probably like you, we don’t have any loans (and if you do its probably only under your wife’s name), don’t own a car etc…..
We had a very weak argument about the financial aspect but explained why and hopefully that’s enough..

Goodluck!
Aaron

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, the finances are a killer... the Japanese way not allowing Joint accounts and yes.... My wife has owned this apartment for years before we met, and putting a hiragana (English) name onto bills is a pain in the A....

I have lost so much sleep over whether to do a onshore/offshore application.

My ticket back to Aus is booked, Im currently in a completely over stressed sh*t storm of what I should do......

I have seriously had less than 20 hours of sleep in the last week due to the Australian Partner visa application process....

I have less than 40 days to collect any documents in Japan that I will need before I`m in Aus and will not be able to get....and Im not 100% sure what Ill need as my wife has yet to complete and pay for her application... or should I wait till she is in Aus on a tourist visa and then apply for a bridging visa....

Crap....

Crap....

Crap...

ScottM

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
Mate,

I am certain I have been trough the ringer a bit more than you.

You need sleep to think straight, only then can you jump hoops.

I have seen many on this forum help people jump.

So take a deep breath and try relax and focus,

then you can move forward

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks ampk.... I really need someone to just walk up and smack me senseless with a cold halibut..... My main concern is to ensure my wifes safe transfer to Aus , and your post has helped me focus on that...

頑張りましょう

S

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
Thanks ampk.... I really need someone to just walk up and smack me senseless with a cold halibut..... My main concern is to ensure my wifes safe transfer to Aus , and your post has helped me focus on that...

頑張りましょう

S
Pm me if you need help, sorry for the big slap.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK...... Here's my plan... feel free to comment.......

Met my wife online and first met in person 11 Aug 2015, dated for a few months, then I moved to Tokyo and got married in Japan 14/2/2016..... no fanfare, we went to the local city office (as you do in Japan) and submitted documents....

fast forward two years.... An old employer offered me a position (Senior Research Scientist - that's not important...... Nov 2017) and a contract (Dec 2017).... I accepted and now Im booked to fly back to Aus Jan 31, start new job feb 1. So we havent had a lot of time to generate visa application suitable data..

My wife would most likely stay in Japan for a few more months, and then in April come to Aus. She has a friend who "might" want to stay in her apartment while she is Aus, from April.

Here's my dilemma.... I'm torn as to what visa to apply for offshore/onshore..... As the visa application time (we fail in many of the required sections for visa)...... is applicable for her to apply for an offshore application then enter australia on a visitors <tourist> visa, waiting for her visa application to be accepted.....

Im appreciative to any suggestions.....

S

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.