Australia Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read the spouse visa time lines and i am really pissed. 2 months! 3 months! Are you serious. Its so unfair. Yes my husband is from a 'high risk" country. But he hasn't even got a speeding fine, he is totally free of any crime and so is his family. How can it take this long for his NATIONAL SECURITY CHECK!!! How the hell can they check him from Oz anyway? And why does it take them so long to check him but others from NON-MUSLIM countries don't have to wait shit. Its just so unfair, i at home now without my husband with his baby growing inside me and I dont have the right to have him with me. He can't even take care of me. I swear this process is simply cruel and damm if it takes them this long to do jack shit then its a bloody rip off too. Making money off people and screwing around with their lives. Sure check the man, of course check him, but ffs seriously does it take that long to investigate a 25 year old who has pretty much just been studying? Im so depressed. Im bloody 23 and going through my first pregnancy alone now. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR:(

·
Registered
58 Posts
I just read the spouse visa time lines and i am really pissed. 2 months! 3 months! Are you serious. Its so unfair. Yes my husband is from a 'high risk" country. But he hasn't even got a speeding fine, he is totally free of any crime and so is his family. How can it take this long for his NATIONAL SECURITY CHECK!!! How the hell can they check him from Oz anyway? And why does it take them so long to check him but others from NON-MUSLIM countries don't have to wait shit. Its just so unfair, i at home now without my husband with his baby growing inside me and I dont have the right to have him with me. He can't even take care of me. I swear this process is simply cruel and damm if it takes them this long to do jack shit then its a bloody rip off too. Making money off people and screwing around with their lives. Sure check the man, of course check him, but ffs seriously does it take that long to investigate a 25 year old who has pretty much just been studying? Im so depressed. Im bloody 23 and going through my first pregnancy alone now. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR:(
Dear tgkie,
Congratulations on your pregnancy with the man you love and I'm sorry that you are so angry about the wait time. It's really not that long when you think about it...2 months = 8 Saturdays........my husband and I have been married 8 years, living in the USA - i am Australian, he is American - low risk - but I have been told that it could take anywhere between 4-8 months for his Spouse Visa to come through - it is what it is, and you don't know how many applications precede yours - you are not being discriminated against, and your anger can't be good for your health or that of your baby's.

Please take some deep breaths, slow down, think good positive thoughts that this Visa will be cleared quickly, and I really hope it is!

Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
What country is your husband from and have you submitted your application yet - and if so how long have you currently been waiting?

I sympathise with your situation, but THOUSANDS others are in your situation - with or without child on the way - and there are some people who have to wait more than 2-3 months, and in some cases years, to be together.

You may think it's "unfair" but remember that the embassy's have a ridiculous amount of applications to process at any one time. It's not just as easy at looking at a criminal record and approving an application.

Again, I sympathise, but you have to be patient and remember the thousands of other people in your shoes.

By the way, if your husband is from a high risk country... you may have to wait more than 2-3 months, you need to prepare yourself with the possibility of that.

Good luck.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Dear TGKIE

Sorry to hear you are so upset. It is very understandable especially with your baby on the way. That's just the way us humans have made this world. It is quite cruel sometimes. I also am wondering how these 'security checks' work! On Form 80, they don't even ask for contact numbers or names of previous employers. Just the type of business and the address. Are they going to send some investigator to check at each of my husband's previous employers to see if he was a good employee?

The Police Clearance report already proves that he has no record....

Some people, from the same "high risk" country - India -, have gotten their spouse visa within two months and didn't even need to attend an interview. I don't understand how the system works.

I hope and pray for all of us that are suffering from being parted from our loved ones.

Best of luck to all of us and may we all be smiling soon..... :)

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Unfortunately tgkie, it is the way it is because of the troubles that there are about and I'm not aware of how checks are done in regard to people from HR countries but it'll not be just Immi doing the checking.
Australians know that not every Muslim is going to have any violence agenda nor is likely to come from a violent background and in fact not all HR countries have Islam as a dominant religion but given that a lot of the violent hotspots on the planet can involve Islam, it'll likely be that all countries where Islam is the religion will be HR and the Immi fee is the same.
One of the reasons that it could be quite some time is that we are having so many asylum seekers taking boat trips of late and because of the numbers and difficulties in holding them in detention, resources get allocated in that area, also something else outside of Australia's control.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you for your replies, we have been waiting for 5 months now. Im just really sad that others can get it so quickly. Its so hard. Good luck to everyone. I won't stop praying it will come soon!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dear TGKIE

Sorry to hear you are so upset. It is very understandable especially with your baby on the way. That's just the way us humans have made this world. It is quite cruel sometimes. I also am wondering how these 'security checks' work! On Form 80, they don't even ask for contact numbers or names of previous employers. Just the type of business and the address. Are they going to send some investigator to check at each of my husband's previous employers to see if he was a good employee?

The Police Clearance report already proves that he has no record....

Some people, from the same "high risk" country - India -, have gotten their spouse visa within two months and didn't even need to attend an interview. I don't understand how the system works.

I hope and pray for all of us that are suffering from being parted from our loved ones.

Best of luck to all of us and may we all be smiling soon..... :)
Good luck mate, its so depressing not knowing! I hope your partners visa will come soon.

·
Registered
52 Posts
It's not just the HR countries that they put through the wringer. My defacto visa took one week shy of six months to come through this year from Australia House in London. Been with my partner a decade, have a child and a joint mortgage..

Best of luck :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi Well it took cairo embassy 10 months to finally get a reply - refusal.

·
Registered
42 Posts
thank you for your replies, we have been waiting for 5 months now. Im just really sad that others can get it so quickly. Its so hard. Good luck to everyone. I won't stop praying it will come soon!
Wish you a good luck. Which country your husband belongs to...
I am from Turkey, one of the high risk counties :( It has been said that security checks can be continue 8 months.... :((((

·
Registered
38 Posts
We feel your pain!

One way in which we Australian citizens can change the way our governments operate is to lobby the relevant Minister and to create some political waves for the current government and aspiring governments to deal with. This may be a long and drawn-out process, but judging from this and other forum sites, Australian sponsors of spouses and de facto partners from oveseas are NOT a happy lot!

Just remember: you are not alone.

All the best for your pregnancy and your wait for an outcome with the Department.

·
Registered
54 Posts
We feel your pain!

One way in which we Australian citizens can change the way our governments operate is to lobby the relevant Minister and to create some political waves for the current government and aspiring governments to deal with. This may be a long and drawn-out process, but judging from this and other forum sites, Australian sponsors of spouses and de facto partners from oveseas are NOT a happy lot!

Just remember: you are not alone.

All the best for your pregnancy and your wait for an outcome with the Department.
Hi, I have to agree we are NOT a happy lot. I have already sent letters to all the relevant representatives - starting from the TOP, and to the opposition equals. Naturally there has been no reply todate. Meanwhile we just hit our heads against a brick wall and the boat people sail on through. Just not fair, plus considering we are the paying side and completed and submitted all relevant paperwork legally and honestly.Annie123

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
The only effective answer re politics is to make it known to your local member if they are Labor, Green or even Independent that your vote will go to the coalition at the next election.
Many people think that they can vote for someone like the Greens if they do not want to vote for either of the major parties but Green preferences will usually go to Labor unless you specify otherwise and it is Labor/Green policy that is making something of a mockery of the immigration system for the moment with resources needed to handle the people smuggling issues.
Change would however be fairly minimal as general immigration regulations are determined from considerable experience, immigration numbers have been higher than what most politicians claim they want to see and so with any major policy change family visas may have the screws tightened some no doubt and perhaps even more so than skilled visas for at times skills shortages may be considered more important.
So I'd not expect a great response from politicians.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi, I have to agree we are NOT a happy lot. I have already sent letters to all the relevant representatives - starting from the TOP, and to the opposition equals. Naturally there has been no reply todate. Meanwhile we just hit our heads against a brick wall and the boat people sail on through. Just not fair, plus considering we are the paying side and completed and submitted all relevant paperwork legally and honestly.Annie123
Annie,
What is the status on your visa? Have you heard any news yet?
My application is still in the 'case finalisation' process. I'm not sure what is entailed in that process though. :confused:

Rio xx

·
Registered
54 Posts
Annie,
What is the status on your visa? Have you heard any news yet?
My application is still in the 'case finalisation' process. I'm not sure what is entailed in that process though. :confused:

Rio xx
hi, we waited 10 months and received a refusal. We have now applied to tribunal, at this time a further 15 months of waiting for a date, and if remitted as it should be as all positive documents were supplied the first time, and the time frame of our relationship 10 years, plus the approx 20 months living with partner in Maroc from 2005 - 2008. If remitted seems a further wait (re ppl in same situation at the moment) of 10 plus months and still waiting. so as you can see it is a very long and drawn out process, and all the time we are still separated. I will return early in new year for a further stay with my partner. We miss each other alot and it is very painful and depressing, to say the least. I hope you get better outcome than we have had. annie123

·
Registered
54 Posts
The only effective answer re politics is to make it known to your local member if they are Labor, Green or even Independent that your vote will go to the coalition at the next election.
Many people think that they can vote for someone like the Greens if they do not want to vote for either of the major parties but Green preferences will usually go to Labor unless you specify otherwise and it is Labor/Green policy that is making something of a mockery of the immigration system for the moment with resources needed to handle the people smuggling issues.
Change would however be fairly minimal as general immigration regulations are determined from considerable experience, immigration numbers have been higher than what most politicians claim they want to see and so with any major policy change family visas may have the screws tightened some no doubt and perhaps even more so than skilled visas for at times skills shortages may be considered more important.
So I'd not expect a great response from politicians.
Hi Wanderer, I have actually sent letters to local MP, and Prime Minister, Immig. Minister, Opp. Leader also. I have had no response in any form. I did not make it a personal letter re my situation, but a letter asking for an investigation into the Embassy in Cairo, and their way out time frame in dealing with any matters, and asked that the Global Feedback be checked to see the amount of people who have complained re this matter. Considering embassies such as in Thailand, Indonesia, Phillipines, just to mention a few, any spousal visas are dealt with in a timely manner and understandable manner. Re Cairo in my case it took them 10 months to give a refusal. Now waiting for MRT and on the phone to them was advised it would be now 16 months before a Member would look at the file. Then if remitted back to Cairo (as is happening with some at the moment) they have been waiting their outcome since MRT for 10 months and still no closer to a decision. It is my opinion that this is totally unacceptable by any standard. This process as it stands at the moment means it will be close to 3 years before this has been finalised, and it seems there is nothing that can be done, so its just hitting our heads against a brick wall. NOT HAPPY AUSSIE :mad:

·
Registered
38 Posts
The best thing about being an Aussie is that, unlike in many of the countries from which users of this forum are trying to extricate their partners, we have a direct impact on the people in charge of our lives, that is, the pollies.

One letter from an irate Australian citizen may not do the trick, but a petition presented to the Federal Parliament, signed by many folk who did not appreciate their lives being put on hold by a government department, may start the ball rolling. Australia has an enviable record of People Power, right from the Eureka Stockade

Eureka Stockade - Australia's Culture Portal

and the Shearers' Strike of 1891 onwards.

The Great Shearer's Strike of 1891 » ABC Queensland » Heritage

If you don't think the people in charge of the department will help you, then you might as well give up now.

The MRT situation is entirely deplorable! I

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Ozmikal would seem to want to make a political story of the thread and I have deleted all that which is not really relevant.
He can start another thread in the general topics area if he so desires.

The key issues and there are two he would want to overlook it would seem are
expressed in part by:
ie.
Neither party is going to make too much in way of change of regulations unless a major review occurs as has happened with skilled visas and there is never really a driver for that in the family stream, there being more fine tuning of various aspects.
Politicians will always be conscious of overall numbers and the need to meet skills shortages.
and by
My reference to political party policy was very specifically in relation to what has been happening tre people smuggling for despite what views may be held, it is factual that huge Immi resources are being usurped because of that activity, to the extent that Immi have been seeking secondment of staff from other departments.
The activity is undermining a structured well managed approach to refugee settlement that Australia has had and if anybody thimks there will not be a flow on effewct to other visas, they should have another think.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.