Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I've applied for 190 nomination from Tasmania and am waiting for their response. I currently hold a student visa expiring in mid March 2018. I'm planning to leave Australia this weekend and return on 24 February. Assuming I receive my state nomination while i'm abroad, I plan to submit my application for the 190 visa while i'm overseas. If I receive it between 24 Feb and mid March, I'll apply for the 190 visa when I get back to Tasmania Will there be any problems with this? I'm just a bit confused because I know I'm supposed to get a Bridging Visa B if I want to travel overseas, but to my understanding I don't need a Bridging Visa for now because I still have my student visa valid until mid March. Thank you for your advice!

·
Super Moderator
5,266 Posts
You are issued a bridging visa if you apply for the 190 while you are in Australia on a substantive visa such as your student visa.

If you apply for the 190 while you are overseas, you can still return to Australia on the 24th of February since you'd still hold the student visa. However without a bridging visa you'd need to leave no later than mid-March when the student visa expires.

If you wait to apply for the 190 after you return on 24th February, then you would be granted a bridging visa that would take affect once the student visa expires.

If you don't receive an invitation before mid-March, then you'd need to depart Australia and wait for the invitation overseas unless you can successfully apply for another visa to return/stay.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are issued a bridging visa if you apply for the 190 while you are in Australia on a substantive visa such as your student visa.

If you apply for the 190 while you are overseas, you can still return to Australia on the 24th of February since you'd still hold the student visa. However without a bridging visa you'd need to leave no later than mid-March when the student visa expires.

If you wait to apply for the 190 after you return on 24th February, then you would be granted a bridging visa that would take affect once the student visa expires.

If you don't receive an invitation before mid-March, then you'd need to depart Australia and wait for the invitation overseas unless you can successfully apply for another visa to return/stay.
Hi Maggie, thank you so much for your help. I hope you could help me with a few more questions. As it turns out, I've just received nomination. I'm leaving Australia today (26 Jan) and returning on 28 Jan. After that, I'd like to leave again in early february, say 2nd Feb and return on 21 Feb. So I'm now very confused about what's the best way for me to ensure that I would have a bridging visa once my student visa expires.

(1) If I applied for the 190 visa between 28 Jan and 2 Feb, that would give me a bridging visa A (BVA), but it wouldnt take effect until my student visa expires. Could I leave Australia after applying for the 190, then come back in on 24 Feb under my student visa, then have permission to stay on after my student visa expiry by virtue of the BVA?
(2) What is required in order to receive the BVA? If I just apply for the 190 visa online and submit all my documents, will that suffice, or would I need to also do my health check before I'm eligible for the BVA?
(3) Would there be enough time between 28 Jan and 2 Feb for me to apply for the 190 visa, get the bridging visa A and then get a bridging visa B so that I could leave Australia without worrying about not being able to return until my 190 visa is (hopefully) approved?
(4) Is it advisable for me to apply for the 190 visa in Australia but subsequently do my health check overseas?
(5) If I end up applying for the 190 visa overseas, and come back into Australia on 21 Feb on the student visa, as you mentioned I would have to leave before 15 March as my student visa expires. Could I then come back in on an ETA while waiting for the decision on my 190? What are the chances of me being approved for the ETA?

Thank you so much for all your help!

·
Super Moderator
5,266 Posts
1. Yes
2. As soon as you submit your online application and pay the fees, you should receive an email with the acknowledgement of your application and also the BVA. Sometimes the BVA doesn't arrive immediately and takes a few days, but that's not often.
3. 5 days seems tight to get a BVB but I've never applied for one
4. It doesn't matter where you do your health check
5. There's no guarantee you'd be given an ETA, so not possible to comment.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.