Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi There,

I applied for a 175 visa on August 2009 and finally I have been recently contacted by my CO and in our last contact through email from he said:
I have received all of the requested information.
Your application is now pending external checking which can take between 12 to 18 months to finalise.
I am currently on 457 visa and live in Sydney, I have couple of questions that I was hoping somebody can answer:

1- in DIAC website says, it take 18 months to process a 175 application, does that mean since lodgement of the application or since the case office has been assigned and all documents were given? do you guys really think I have to wait that long for my visa to be finalised or that just a diplomatic statement? so I leave him alone for a while...

2- what is exactly this external checking? any specifics?

3- my working contract is running out and I am not sure if I can find a job easily and quickly so I have to leave the country (a condition of 457 visa), question is can I ask for a bridging visa while awaiting decision for my 175 application?

I appreciate your kind answers.

Cheers, Azad

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When you logde new case you automaticly switch to bridging visa which allows you stay and remain in Country till the decission is made so nothing to worry about mate
Thanks Mobbi, a question though, Subclass 175 is an offshore application and I was overseas when I applied for it, doesn't that mean that at the end of my 457 I have to go overseas and wait offshore until 175 visa is granted and then come back to Australia? I can get a bridging visa when I finish with my 457?

Thanks again, Azad

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Thanks Mobbi, a question though, Subclass 175 is an offshore application and I was overseas when I applied for it, doesn't that mean that at the end of my 457 I have to go overseas and wait offshore until 175 visa is granted and then come back to Australia? I can get a bridging visa when I finish with my 457?

Thanks again, Azad
Hi,
Although you can apply for the 175 visa within Australia, you must be outside of Australia when a decision is made. Bridging visas are only granted when you can be in Australia when a decision is made. At the end of your 457, you must go overseas.

Location - Eligibility
You may be in Australia at the time you apply for a subclass 175 visa unless you have either condition 8503 or 8535, or another condition on your current visa that prevents you from making a further application to remain in Australia.

Unless you are an eligible New Zealand citizen, you and any secondary applicants included in your application, must be outside Australia at the time that a decision is made on your application.

Skilled - Independent (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 175)

You can visit Australia using a tourist visa if you want.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,
Although you can apply for the 175 visa within Australia, you must be outside of Australia when a decision is made. Bridging visas are only granted when you can be in Australia when a decision is made. At the end of your 457, you must go overseas.

Location - Eligibility
You may be in Australia at the time you apply for a subclass 175 visa unless you have either condition 8503 or 8535, or another condition on your current visa that prevents you from making a further application to remain in Australia.

Unless you are an eligible New Zealand citizen, you and any secondary applicants included in your application, must be outside Australia at the time that a decision is made on your application.

Skilled - Independent (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 175)

You can visit Australia using a tourist visa if you want.
That answers my question, Thanks Sarah

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.